Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kentucky Exit Interview: Anthony Davis | Big man loves campus and cops
The Courier-Journal: What’s life been like for you since the season ended?

Anthony Davis: It’s crazy. Been flying everywhere, collecting awards. It’s been great. It’s been a great opportunity playing here. I’m going to miss this team, the way we played together. We all loved each other and had each other’s backs, and that’s one thing I’m going to miss.

C-J: Was the decision to turn pro easy or difficult?

Davis: It was tough. I actually decided (Monday) night … discussed it with my family real quick. That’s when I decided. I know a lot of people say it should’ve been an easy decision, but nah. … I’m just going to miss this place.

C-J: What made it so tough to leave, made you actually consider coming back?

Davis: The fans, the school, to see what we did this year, to win a national title. It would always be good to win another one. And just playing in college. At the next level it’s different scenery. It’s guys’ livelihood. It’s like a job. Here you’re just out there having fun. We’re going to have fun at the next level, but they expect you to win. Here they expect you to win, but you’re still a kid.

C-J: What did your coach say when you told him Monday night you were still considering coming back?

Davis: He was kind of like, “All right, let’s not kid yourself.” But if I wanted to come back, he was totally fine with it. He said, “Usually I tell guys to leave, but I can see how much you love school.” I’m always on time for class, tutors. I just love school. I’ve always loved school. He didn’t want to take that away.

C-J: Some people are going to roll their eyes at you saying you love school.

Davis: Most definitely, but it’s the honest truth. I really do love school. I’ve always had a 3.5 (GPA) or higher in class, always had A’s and B’s since high school, middle school.

C-J: What did your parents say when you sat down to discuss this decision?

Davis: My mom and dad were arguing, so I was just sitting back laughing. … My mom wanted me to stay in school, but my dad was like, “OK, let’s stop. Be serious for a second. Did you not just see what he did in college?”

C-J: They say incoming UK freshman Nerlens Noel is an even better shot-blocker you …

Davis: Actually, I think he is. I can’t block with my left hand like he blocks ’em. He can block with either hand. I kind of tip it with my left hand. The only difference is he likes to throw them into the crowd, and I like to keep it in play. But I’m pretty sure they’ll change that here, though.

C-J: What’s so great about life at Kentucky?

Davis: Classes are great. The professors are great. The education is great. They keep the campus safe. Lexington police are great when fans kind of get out of control. You need them around here. That would probably be my best advice for the guys coming in: Always keep the police with you.

C-J: You’re about to be rich. Have you thought about that?

Davis: You know, I actually haven’t thought about that yet. That’s right, I am going to be rich. … You’ve got to know how to manage your money. You can’t go out there and just buy anything. You can’t trust a lot of people. Coach Cal always told us, “When you get your money, put your first million in the bank.” The good thing is, I like math. So I should be fine.