Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Former Paintsville Player/Coach Has Passed Away
On Friday, March 17, former Paintsville High School basketball player and head coach Escom Chandler passed away at the age of 95. "Eck" was my next door neighbor and I heard some great stories from him about his time associated with Paintsville High School. He played basketball at Paintsville for 2 years (the 1927-28 and 1928-29 seasons). After he graduated high school he played football at Western Kentucky for legendary coach Ed Diddle. He returned to the area and became the head basketball coach at Paintsville for one season (1933-34) and posted a record of 13-11. He served in the Navy during World War II and while in the Pacific he was elected Mayor of Paintsville. He was a great asset to the community and will be missed. I am glad that I had the chance to speak with him and listen to some of his stories of his days in sports and in life!!!!
JR, I hate to hear that you have lost your wonderful neighbor.  It sounds as if he was a wonderful man who enjoyed life to the fullest!  and OH... give my baby girl a belated birthday kiss from her sissy!!!  Confusedhh:  Rolleyes
Sorry to hear about that
A great man, my condolences.
Always sad to lose a sports legend!