Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bryan Station 60 - Henry Clay 54 (42nd District Tournament)
Final..

Bryan Station moves on and Henry Clay is done for the year
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Wow. Didnt expect this. HC was playing very good ball during the last part of the season ,probably as good as anyone in the state. Hats off to Bryan Station,nice win!
Surprised by this. Henry Clay was on a tear.
Their's another upset
Keep the faith, baby.

In a nutshell, that's what Bryan Station did Wednesday night in a stunning 60-54 come-from-behind victory over host Henry Clay in the first round of the boys' 42nd District Tournament.

Tied at 21 with three minutes left in the first half, Henry Clay scored eight straight points to end the half and added six more to open the third quarter.

"I thought we were still in it because we were going to play hard," Bryan Station Coach Michael Allen said. "This game, the magnitude, ... I felt like we were going to get back in the game.

"Henry Clay did an exceptional job with that run. However, our guys showed a lot of character and poise getting back in that game. I'm so proud of them."

The Defenders (12-19) thus earned a spot in Friday's district finals against third-ranked Scott County. The Cardinals won both regular-season meetings, 84-47 on Jan. 13 and 79-52 on Feb. 1.

Bryan Station avenged a pair of losses to Henry Clay, though. The Blue Devils won 49-39 in December and 69-63 in January.

Omari Sweat, a 6-foot-3 senior, came off the bench to lead the Defenders with 15 points.

"No doubt," Sweat said of facing a 14-point deficit. "Everybody was ready. Our bench was clapping. Everybody was hyped. We wanted it."

Jaylen Beckham had 12 points, while Marcus Williams and Jordan Henry added 10 each. Kalahari Harris led in rebounds with eight.

Henry Clay (22-9) ended with a three-game losing streak, coming on the heels of a 13-game winning streak.

"I thought Bryan Station played their hearts out," Devils assistant coach Barry Bowman said. "Give them credit. Mike Allen had a good game plan. I thought the turnovers in the third quarter were the key to them winning the ballgame."

Trailing 39-25, Bryan Station turned up the heat with its diamond press.

The Defenders closed the quarter on a 13-2 run while forcing six of Henry Clay's 15 turnovers, then scored the first four points of the fourth quarter. Williams' score on a back-door cut put Bryan Station ahead 42-41.

Henry Clay regained a one-point lead, but Harris stuck back his own miss to put Bryan Station ahead for keeps at 44-43 with five minutes left.

Bryan Station scored eight of its last 14 points at the free-throw line. The Defenders finished 18-for-28 at the line, to Henry Clay's 11-for-19.

Sweat, who missed two freebies with 17 seconds left, punctuated the win just before the final buzzer with a put-back of a Beckham free-throw miss.

"I had to get that for my team," Sweat said. "I had to get back from missing the free throws."

Trey Grundy led Henry Clay with 11 points and Alex Blackburn had 10. Each player grabbed five rebounds, as did Wes Kimball and Jordan Green, who scored nine points each.

Read more here: http://www.kentucky.com/2012/02/22/20799...rylink=cpy
BRYAN STATION (12-19) — Williams 10, Henry 10, Beckham 12, Smith 4, Harris 4, Allen 2, Sweat 15, Hipps 3. Totals 21-47 18-28 60.

HENRY CLAY (22-9) — Cunningham 7, Grundy 11, Kimball 9, Green 9, Tichenor 0, Blackburn 10, Ware 8. Totals 20-52 11-19 54.

Bryan Station 13 8 17 22—60

Henry Clay 13 16 12 13—54

Three-point goals — BS: 0-8; HC: 3-15.

Read more here: http://www.kentucky.com/2012/02/22/20799...rylink=cpy
cold as ice! congrats bryan station on the win.