Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bowling Green 61 - Greenwood 42
Bowling Green 61, Greenwood 42 (girls)
The Lady Purples secured the top seed in the District 14 Tournament, building a double-digit halftime lead and cruising from there.
Bowling Green (18-3, 7-0) never trailed, scoring the first four points and extending the lead to 19-12 at the end of the first quarter.
Greenwood (19-7, 5-2) chipped away and cut the deficit to 20-18 after a free throw by Nancy Mulkey with 6:14 remaining in the first half. Bowling Green took control from there, closing the half with a 12-1 run to make the score 32-19 at halftime.
“I felt like we were in pretty good position,” Greenwood coach Todd Tolbert said. “We had ourselves in the bonus and we needed to be aggressive. I don’t think we got to the line but maybe a couple of times and when we did, we didn’t hit free throws. I really thought Bowling Green was more physical than us. They outhustled us to the ball. They outplayed us.”
The Lady Purples stretched the lead to 44-23 on a jumper by Keely Vincent late in the third quarter. Greenwood got as close as 11 points, but was unable to get any closer.
“It’s definitely a confidence booster, for me and everybody on our team,” BG junior guard Brittany Vaughn said. “It’s hard to win here. We started out kind of slow, but got our confidence back. We kept our composure and was able to build the lead back up. It’s a big, big win tonight.”
Vaughn had 23 points to lead Bowling Green, while Diamond Marshall added 17 points.
Molly Lamb led Greenwood with 20 points, while Mulkey finished with 10 points and six rebounds.
Greenwood will host Allen County-Scottsville at 6 p.m. Tuesday. Bowling Green will play at Butler County at 7:30 p.m. Tuesday.

http://www.bgdailynews.com/sports/gators...963f4.html
BGHS 19 13 14 15 – 61
GHS 12 7 8 15 – 42
BG – Vaughn 23, Gray 6, Vincent 6, Marshall 17, Barnett 3, Boards 6.
GHS – Lamb 20, Mulkey 10, Adkins 4, Jordan 3, Dean 3, Perks 2.