Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rob Lewis Signs with Morehead
Southwestern's Rob Lewis Signed with Morehead St. Wednesday morning. He signed as a DL and has a good chance of starting right away as a freshman.
Good for Robbie. That is a good pickup for Morehead.
No offense to Morehead, I thought he could do better.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
The incident with Coach Anderson mid-way through the year hurt his recruitment for the big schools
xtrapoint Wrote:The incident with Coach Anderson mid-way through the year hurt his recruitment for the big schools

That seemed to hurt all of the seniors and their chances of playing college ball. It's a shame.
Congrats to Big Rob!
Congrats
Congrats to the young man. I wish him luck and great success!
Congratulations to a very good player.
Congrats and best of luck
xtrapoint Wrote:The incident with Coach Anderson mid-way through the year hurt his recruitment for the big schools

I am curious to how and why that would that hurt Robs recruitment?
All the schools that were in contact with Rob stopped. Rob was tryin to call these people himself and it was hard for him with school and being there for his dad during the season. The young man had alot on his plate and it was hard for him to take care of it all
I'll give it to Dale, he did work his ass off to get his player's names out there. Congrats to Mr. Lewis!
xtrapoint Wrote:All the schools that were in contact with Rob stopped. Rob was tryin to call these people himself and it was hard for him with school and being there for his dad during the season. The young man had alot on his plate and it was hard for him to take care of it all

I agree that Rob had a lot on his plate this season. I was not that close to the SW football this year. I didnt know if he had a bad year, or what. In fact I thought he had a pretty good year from what I heard. Thats why I am so suprised that he didn't sign at a higher level.

Talk last year, was he was going to sign with Nebraska. Now he signs with Morehead. That is a huge difference in level of play. Personally I didn't know if he was good enough to play at Nebraska, but I think he is better than Morehead. Like I said, Morehead stole one here. I think Rob will do really well there. I wish him all the Luck in the World.
He was looking at Illinois and Marshall, and those fell through on him because of firings. Things got cloudy and he went to Morehead and loved the coaching staff up there. The coaching staff told he that he will make a big impact right away
Morehead doesn't award athletic scholarships in football anymore do they?
Willie Turnover Wrote:I agree that Rob had a lot on his plate this season. I was not that close to the SW football this year. I didnt know if he had a bad year, or what. In fact I thought he had a pretty good year from what I heard. Thats why I am so suprised that he didn't sign at a higher level.

Talk last year, was he was going to sign with Nebraska. Now he signs with Morehead. That is a huge difference in level of play. Personally I didn't know if he was good enough to play at Nebraska, but I think he is better than Morehead. Like I said, Morehead stole one here. I think Rob will do really well there. I wish him all the Luck in the World.

I agree WT, he is a good player but I never bought the D1 status as much. Ive seen D1 line like the ones who go to the Nebraska, Ill UK etc, and he wasnt them. Josh Minton was head and shoulders above Rob in HS. JMO. Congrats to him thou, he has been thru alot. I think it shows even if you have talent the HC has to promote you. Dale was always very very good at that.
Morehead does not award athletic scholarships. But like NCAA III schools, non athletic financial aid curiously gravitates to football players. Of course the schools deny doing this. But it happens.
I don't know if Minton is head and shoulders above rob. They both were pretty athletic and had their own styles. Minton was a pass rusher and Rob was more of a Run stopper. Rob was an ESPN All-American as a sophomore. Rob wanted to go to a place where he could play defense and the big schools wanted him as a OL.
xtrapoint Wrote:I don't know if Minton is head and shoulders above rob. They both were pretty athletic and had their own styles. Minton was a pass rusher and Rob was more of a Run stopper. Rob was an ESPN All-American as a sophomore. Rob wanted to go to a place where he could play defense and the big schools wanted him as a OL.

So here turned down playing in front of 100,000 people in the Big Ten to play in the non-scholarship Patriot League because he wants to play defense?
He would have played DL there too but the thing with Coach A hurt him. He was at the top of the list at some big ten schools then there was firings. I.e: Illinois and Ohio St. He is going to play right away at Morehead.
Well no offense Xp but talking to ppl who know. They say Minton was head and shoulders above rob. How many games did Beamer come watch rob? None....he did come see Minton to play DL at Vtech. Minton had offers to Okl, and Uf too play dline. They didn't want him as OL. Minton went to uk for two reasons close to hm and gf. Now obviously it didn't workout for him bc of injuries. However I stick by my statement minton was better. Like I said thou congrats to rob, he gets to play ball and get a education nonetheless.
Not saying Minton wasn't good enough to play D1 if not for injuries, nor that he wasn't in fact better than Lewis, but he would have never seen the field at Auburn, Florida, or Oklahoma. He was a good player, but not that good.
RO- Again not trying to start a thread about Minton here b/c it is about Robbie and should be kept as close to that as possible. However, I don't think Okl, Vtech etc would waste time coming to SOMERSET KY to see a HS kid if they didn't have plans to play him. I know for a fact that Greg Mattison current DCORD for Michigan, and UF dline coach at the time made 3 trips to SWHS to see Minton.

I don't think its fair to say Minton wasnt that good meaning those type schools. Considering he never got a chance to show it. How many other kids could they be visiting that day..... Just my 2 cents.
I wasn't the one trying to prove that a player who had no bearing in this thread was better than Rob. I was simply stating my opinion on the turn this thread had taken. Minton was a great player don't get me wrong and I consider him a friend having played with and against him since I was 10 years old. But when I watch SEC and Big 10 football I just don't see how he would have ever made an impact at that level. Maybe he would have at UK, maybe not, but I never saw him as a player who would beat out somebody for a spot on a roster at a school like Auburn, Florida, or Oklahoma. I hate the way things went down for him at UK and I wish he would have had all the success in the world, but I'm not going to act like he was was good enough to play at those schools when I don't think he was.
Congratulation and Best of Luck. He is an awesome player.
Congrats to Mr. Lewis, hope it works out well for him.