Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question about All-State teams
I understand that the Courier-Journal will announce their All-State team on Christmas Day. I believe the AP All-State is announced a day or two before the Courier-Journals. Could someone please explain to me why the All-State teams are announced a month beyond the last football game played?!!!
Live Maroon Wrote:I understand that the Courier-Journal will announce their All-State team on Christmas Day. I believe the AP All-State is announced a day or two before the Courier-Journals. Could someone please explain to me why the All-State teams are announced a month beyond the last football game played?!!!

Last year, the AP All State Team was announced between Christmas and New Years, so it may also be the same this year.

As to the timing, I have no inside knowledge, but in reality, it is only 3 weeks between the state finals and the various announcements. My guess is that it takes some time to get the ballots out there (Courier Journal to all of Kentucky's HS Football Coaches, AP to all designated sportswriters) and give the voters time to consider their picks, and then get them back and enter the individual votes into whatever tally system they use. Even using online voting, the process could still take some time.

And, once the voting is complete, the CJ writers have to put together whatever article goes along with the announcements, between their other responsibilities covering basketball.
Not to oversimplify the process, but I am of the opinion that All-State teams should be announced the week of the State Finals. I don't see how anything that would happen in the State Finals would determine whether a kid makes it or not. When the last game is over, football for the most part is over. 3 weeks into basketball season, seems like nobody cares about anything but roundball. Might as well get these young men attention while it still matters.
Live Maroon Wrote:Not to oversimplify the process, but I am of the opinion that All-State teams should be announced the week of the State Finals. I don't see how anything that would happen in the State Finals would determine whether a kid makes it or not. When the last game is over, football for the most part is over. 3 weeks into basketball season, seems like nobody cares about anything but roundball. Might as well get these young men attention while it still matters.

The reason they wait till the finals are done is to give the voters a chance to see players outside of their area against solid competition. otherwise NKY voters would have more NKY guys on their team, Mountain voters the same, Central KY voters the same, Louisville voters the same, etc.

Same with Mr. Football and Basketball. Anthony Hickey was incredible last year, but he doesn't win Mr. Basketball if it wasn't announced after the tournament. Otherwise it would have been Chane from BG
Mr. KY Football should be coming out today.
toussaints Wrote:The reason they wait till the finals are done is to give the voters a chance to see players outside of their area against solid competition. otherwise NKY voters would have more NKY guys on their team, Mountain voters the same, Central KY voters the same, Louisville voters the same, etc.

Same with Mr. Football and Basketball. Anthony Hickey was incredible last year, but he doesn't win Mr. Basketball if it wasn't announced after the tournament. Otherwise it would have been Chane from BG

100% correct on all points particularly about Hickey winning Mr. Basketball last year. The show he put on in the state tournament this past Spring was amazing.
toussaints Wrote:The reason they wait till the finals are done is to give the voters a chance to see players outside of their area against solid competition. otherwise NKY voters would have more NKY guys on their team, Mountain voters the same, Central KY voters the same, Louisville voters the same, etc.

right on
He's a prime example second team LB - Paul Lampone, Cov. Holy Cross
He would have been an also ran until voters saw what he could do in the state finals