Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Highlands caught a break
tooth doc Wrote:BG wouldnt beat Highlands this year, imo. However, Highlands wouldnt beat Trinity either. Highlands couldnt have ran the table with Trinity's schedule. Highlands can always compete with a Cincinnati GCL team every year, but not week in and week out. Trinity this year wouldve beaten everyone in the GCL, or anyone in OH week after week. That is the big difference. Highlands has great coaches and very disciplined players, but playing teams in the GCL or Trinity week after week would be a disaster. They dont have 100 players like Trinity to choose from

Agreed
Hatz Wrote:So what you are saying is that one team can't get better, that much in one year?

Scenario. You apply it how you choose.

1977: Harrodsburg beats Boyle County 60-0.
1978 Boyle County beats Harrodsburg 17-0.

Can Boyle improve by 77 points in one season?

Before you ask: Harrodsburg lost Nicky Yeast from the '77 team (Future EKU player) but returned Gus Parks (Likewise future EKU starter).

People improve or new players tip the scales of balance. Who knows. I'd give an edge to HHS but who can see with any real certainty. The logical equation you bring is flawed to be effectively accurate.

Was Harrodsburg as good in 78 as 77?...According to this, the answer is no. Apparently they had two great players in 77 and one in 78. Boyle improved by a bunch, Harrodsburg dropped off by a bunch.

While I agree BG improved a great deal since last year, Highlands did not suffer a corresponding fall. Few teams return a 2X state championship QB along with most of the other skill players. They did need to reload the D a bit along with the O-line.

The Highlands NON-STARTERS get an amazing amount of experience compared to other teams because they have more weeks of practice than most other teams (thanks to long playoff runs) and a high number of minutes in game situations. (thanks to lopsided scores) Excluding the preseason, the incoming seniors, for the 2012 season have already had 45 weeks of in season practice and been involved in some cases a little, some cases a lot, in 45 games. I did a little count, 6 - 8 weeks into the season, and found that the Birds play an average of over 50 players per game.
Blau Vogel Wrote:Was Harrodsburg as good in 78 as 77?...According to this, the answer is no. Apparently they had two great players in 77 and one in 78. Boyle improved by a bunch, Harrodsburg dropped off by a bunch.

While I agree BG improved a great deal since last year, Highlands did not suffer a corresponding fall. Few teams return a 2X state championship QB along with most of the other skill players. They did need to reload the D a bit along with the O-line.

The Highlands NON-STARTERS get an amazing amount of experience compared to other teams because they have more weeks of practice than most other teams (thanks to long playoff runs) and a high number of minutes in game situations. (thanks to lopsided scores) Excluding the preseason, the incoming seniors, for the 2012 season have already had 45 weeks of in season practice and been involved in some cases a little, some cases a lot, in 45 games. I did a little count, 6 - 8 weeks into the season, and found that the Birds play an average of over 50 players per game.

I just don't think you can speculate from year to year. As to if Boyle improved, no not really. Rebels went 8-3 that year, defeated the Danville squad ranked #1 in AAA at that time (who beat HHS earlier in the season) and won their District but lost to Corbin in the Regional. In '78, they went 6-4 and did not win their District.

Success one year is not always a barometer for the next in any sport.
fanof87 Wrote:Not so much against Highlands. Obviously they are a great team with rich tradition and can field a team each year. I am not a BG supporter either but I did see 3 games this year and in those games they played good competion and still had some left in the tank when the game was over. Most likely Franklin Simpson wouldn't have scored against BG this year and The Purples would have scored 50+.

The team that beat FS 42-14 would not have beaten Bowling Green this year. It worked out well for them to get moved into 4A. Highlands fans can say what they want, they still should count themselves fortunate that they didn't have to face BG this year.

I guess its trolling, I'm on here all the time just don't post much. All you guys want to do is talk about how great the East is so I leave it to the experts, until its time to call B.S.

This talk reminds me of the guy who's arrested by the police and once he's handcuffed he talks about what he would do if he didn't have the handcuffs on. Bowling Green has a very good program, but if you feel the need to come here and play the handcuffed prisoner guy role then go ahead. It's unbecoming and indicative of someone who really lacks confidence.
NCC41 Wrote:This talk reminds me of the guy who's arrested by the police and once he's handcuffed he talks about what he would do if he didn't have the handcuffs on. Bowling Green has a very good program, but if you feel the need to come here and play the handcuffed prisoner guy role then go ahead. It's unbecoming and indicative of someone who really lacks confidence.

What are you talking about? I would like to be handcuffed in this situation...that would imply someone gave me a logical answer to how one team can improve light years in one year. As a Highlands fan I have seen this phenomenon dozens of times, usually from other NoKY teams. "We are better than you now that you don't play us anymore".
NCC41 Wrote:This talk reminds me of the guy who's arrested by the police and once he's handcuffed he talks about what he would do if he didn't have the handcuffs on. Bowling Green has a very good program, but if you feel the need to come here and play the handcuffed prisoner guy role then go ahead. It's unbecoming and indicative of someone who really lacks confidence.

Talk is cheap. It's ok for you Birdfans to cackle all year long, but when Purple fans make a peep you whine about it. They destroyed everyone they played. That's the best anyone can do and that's enough for me.
adopted purple Wrote:Talk is cheap. It's ok for you Birdfans to cackle all year long, but when Purple fans make a peep you whine about it. They destroyed everyone they played. That's the best anyone can do and that's enough for me.

Thats good enough for me too as a bird fan. Good year BG, Good year HHS. Lets let 2011 rest in peace. The Purps and Birds wont play this year. Both really good teams.
Blau Vogel Wrote:What are you talking about? I would like to be handcuffed in this situation...that would imply someone gave me a logical answer to how one team can improve light years in one year. As a Highlands fan I have seen this phenomenon dozens of times, usually from other NoKY teams. "We are better than you now that you don't play us anymore".

You seem intent on logic as you understand it. You compare a BG loss to CC and the next weeks game between CC and HHS, right?

You seem to believe that this gives you a logical solution to the question about BG vs HHS.

If this is the tool you want to use then we could say that Boyle was better than the Birds in 2009. Boyle beat Johnson Central 49-7 that season at home. HHS beat JC 42-21 at home.

Using your theory, Boyle must have been able to beat HHS in 2009 and was the better team.

Now I don't know if it's true and we will certainly never know for sure but using your logical model, that is the conclusoion one has to arrive upon.
Hatz Wrote:You seem intent on logic as you understand it. You compare a BG loss to CC and the next weeks game between CC and HHS, right?

You seem to believe that this gives you a logical solution to the question about BG vs HHS.

If this is the tool you want to use then we could say that Boyle was better than the Birds in 2009. Boyle beat Johnson Central 49-7 that season at home. HHS beat JC 42-21 at home.

Using your theory, Boyle must have been able to beat HHS in 2009 and was the better team.

Now I don't know if it's true and we will certainly never know for sure but using your logical model, that is the conclusoion one has to arrive upon.

that 2009 bird team beat the No 2 in the nation ranked Cin St X. On top of it HHS turned the ball over in the redzone like 4 times and still won. So yeah, Boyle would have blown them out.
Hatz Wrote:You seem intent on logic as you understand it. You compare a BG loss to CC and the next weeks game between CC and HHS, right?

uncle
birdman44 Wrote:that 2009 bird team beat the No 2 in the nation ranked Cin St X. On top of it HHS turned the ball over in the redzone like 4 times and still won. So yeah, Boyle would have blown them out.

Just following the logic of Blau Vogel so you missed the rationale.

As to St X, they were at the time the Birds played them. They did not finish the season that way.
Hatz Wrote:Just following the logic of Blau Vogel so you missed the rationale.

As to St X, they were at the time the Birds played them. They did not finish the season that way.

Yeah, because they lost to those BIRDS!
the birds finished 3rd on USA Today. But im sure the bird haters will have something to say about that!

Seriously though, I know you were just poking holes in someone's score comparison through common opponents. It really isnt the best way to compare teams that havent played eachother. you never really know untill they play.
birdman44 Wrote:Yeah, because they lost to those BIRDS!
the birds finished 3rd on USA Today. But im sure the bird haters will have something to say about that!

Seriously though, I know you were just poking holes in someone's score comparison through common opponents. It really isnt the best way to compare teams that havent played eachother. you never really know untill they play.

And even then you only know it if they play each other THAT particular year. :betterthanexpected:
birdman44 Wrote:that 2009 bird team beat the No 2 in the nation ranked Cin St X. On top of it HHS turned the ball over in the redzone like 4 times and still won. So yeah, Boyle would have blown them out.

not to take anything away from that victory, but Cincy St.X was way over-rated nationally, and Winton Woods would've beaten them too.
This is how I have it figured. We have 195 days until the beginning of the 2012 Kentucky High School dead period. My best guess that a new thread involving Highlands in some shape or form will be started every 3 days until then. That's approximately 65 conversations such as this one! God help us all! :goofy:
toussaints Wrote:not to take anything away from that victory, but Cincy St.X was way over-rated nationally, and Winton Woods would've beaten them too.

I'll respectfully yet strongly disagree with you about the WW victory prediction. Was X the second best team in the nation in 09? Obviously not. But it was one of the best teams in Ohio that year.
charlie22 Wrote:I'll respectfully yet strongly disagree with you about the WW victory prediction. Was X the second best team in the nation in 09? Obviously not. But it was one of the best teams in Ohio that year.

So was Winton Woods, and I'm only saying that because my cousin luke who played for X that year agrees that they would've struggled with the double dub. its not saying X wasn't good, they were pretty good that season, but WW was very good
toussaints Wrote:So was Winton Woods, and I'm only saying that because my cousin luke who played for X that year agrees that they would've struggled with the double dub. its not saying X wasn't good, they were pretty good that season, but WW was very good

Struggling and losing to them can be two different things can't they? I watched WW play that year on tape. Very good team. With that I agree with you. I just don't think WW would have beaten X.

But we gone far afield from the original post. One thing I'm certain about is that no one associated with Highlands attempted to influence the KHSAA to put Highlands in 4A. I also know that neither Highlands nor the KHSAA was concerned about what effect Highlands being in 4A would have on keeping up with Trinity's state championship total.