Poll: Who wins
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Glasgow
25.00%
Holy Cross (Covington)
75.00%
* You voted for this item.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Glasgow vs Holy Cross (Covington) (2A Championship)
Wideleft01 Wrote:Holy Cross names the score. Football in N. Ky is just better than the rest of the state with the lone exception being Trinity.

:gtfo:
Wideleft is the reason that people not from NKY hate NKY teams. He gives the impression that everyone is so arrogant. I have seen plenty of quality teams outside of NKY and great programs outside of NKY. Are they as good or consistent as Highlands? Usually not, but the rest of the teams aren't on a different level than everyone else. For example, Bowling Green, Mayfield, and Scott Co could come up to NKY and beat most of the teams year in and year out. Not all, most
tooth doc Wrote:Wideleft is the reason that people not from NKY hate NKY teams. He gives the impression that everyone is so arrogant. I have seen plenty of quality teams outside of NKY and great programs outside of NKY. Are they as good or consistent as Highlands? Usually not, but the rest of the teams aren't on a different level than everyone else. For example, Bowling Green, Mayfield, and Scott Co could come up to NKY and beat most of the teams year in and year out. Not all, most
Wideleft is the reason that most of the people in NKY dont like Wideleft, LOL. Sorry I had to take the shot.
Holy Cross wins this one going away. It's not going to be close
tooth doc Wrote:Wideleft is the reason that people not from NKY hate NKY teams. He gives the impression that everyone is so arrogant. I have seen plenty of quality teams outside of NKY and great programs outside of NKY. Are they as good or consistent as Highlands? Usually not, but the rest of the teams aren't on a different level than everyone else. For example, Bowling Green, Mayfield, and Scott Co could come up to NKY and beat most of the teams year in and year out. Not all, most

Scott County? The same Scott County who could only beat Boone at home by 2 points.

:please:

Highlands would beat them by at least 28.
Bird4Life Wrote:Scott County? The same Scott County who could only beat Boone at home by 2 points.

and that's what tooth doc was talking about. Highlands is on it's own tier up here. There isn't another team in NKY that can compete with Highlands, that was proven in the playoff game against CCH. Tooth Doc is saying teams like Scott County and Mayfield could come up and beat or compete with most of the teams in NKY, not including Highlands.

but for the record, I think Bowling Green would beat Highlands this year.
Bird4Life Wrote:Scott County? The same Scott County who could only beat Boone at home by 2 points.

Oh yeah? Well Trinity would beat Highlands by 2321354 points. :insane:
Cameraman Wrote:Oh yeah? Well Trinity would beat Highlands by 2321354 points. :insane:

^ that's a lot of points or about 331622 TD's:betterthanexpected:
Can the Holy Cross and Glasgow fans have their game thread back?

:ChairHit:
Glasgow 28 Holy Cross 21.
I know that everyone was saying that this will probably be the only close game out of all the State Championship game but, if Glasgow hasn't gotten a lot better since their match up at Somerset, this one may not be close either!! After their routing of Somerset, I think that Holy Cross beats Glasgow convincingly!

Holy Cross - 35

Glasgow - 14
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
LOSERS QUIT WHEN THEY'RE TIRED, WINNERS QUIT WHEN THEY HAVE WON
leecoukfan Wrote:I know that everyone was saying that this will probably be the only close game out of all the State Championship game but, if Glasgow hasn't gotten a lot better since their match up at Somerset, this one may not be close either!! After their routing of Somerset, I think that Holy Cross beats Glasgow convincingly!

Holy Cross - 35

Glasgow - 14

I think it will be a close 1st half with both teams feeling each other out, no homo, like HC and Somerset did. Both teams have great athletes, I don't know about Glasgow but Holy Cross likes to get really physical. I think Glasgow's issue comes in with their small selection of plays. Holy Cross does a really good job of recognizing an offense's comfort zone and attacking it.
toussaints Wrote:I think it will be a close 1st half with both teams feeling each other out, no homo, like HC and Somerset did. Both teams have great athletes, I don't know about Glasgow but Holy Cross likes to get really physical. I think Glasgow's issue comes in with their small selection of plays. Holy Cross does a really good job of recognizing an offense's comfort zone and attacking it.

Yeah, I agree. I look for it to be 14-14 or 21-14 Holy Cross at the half and then I see Holy Cross holding Glasgow scoreless in the 2nd Half while they will most likely score 2 or 3 more TDs.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
LOSERS QUIT WHEN THEY'RE TIRED, WINNERS QUIT WHEN THEY HAVE WON
Holy Cross wins by 2 TD's.. Like everyone else said, this is the only game with a real chance of being a good game.
I agree this will for sure be the best game of the finals. Not seen Holy Cross play but I might see if I can find a few on the internet.
I like HC by 3 scores. Honestly I don't know much about Glasgow, but after HC's win over NCC and there run away victory over Somerset I think HC will run away with this.
Should be a great game
Massey ranks Glasgow #17 in state and HC at #21
Massey predicts Glasgow 28-27
Maxpreps rates HC 32.8 (#1 in 2A) and Glasgow 31.0 (#2)
One common opponant is very telling
Somerset 14-7 Glasgow VS 48-14 HC
The Indians are red hot lately and will be hard to stop.
They will need to control the excess penalties they had last week
Holy Cross looks well positioned to...
--finish runner up in district then
--defeat defending champ and #1 ranked team
--defeat previously 11-0 team
--defeat previously 14-0 team
Not a bad underdog story
WeBelieve Wrote:Should be a great game
Massey ranks Glasgow #17 in state and HC at #21
Massey predicts Glasgow 28-27
Maxpreps rates HC 32.8 (#1 in 2A) and Glasgow 31.0 (#2)
One common opponant is very telling
Somerset 14-7 Glasgow VS 48-14 HC
The Indians are red hot lately and will be hard to stop.
They will need to control the excess penalties they had last week
Holy Cross looks well positioned to...
--finish runner up in district then
--defeat defending champ and #1 ranked team
--defeat previously 11-0 team
--defeat previously 14-0 team
Not a bad underdog story

Wow...eye opening...never thought of it that way!
I'm a crossback.....GO HC

from http://nky.cincinnati.com/article/AB/201...RONTPAGE|s

Class 2A: Holy Cross (11-3) vs. Glasgow (14-0)

WHEN/WHERE: 4 p.m. EST today at Feix Field/Houchens-Smith Stadium at Western Kentucky University in Bowling Green.

STATE CHAMPIONSHIPS: Holy Cross – None; Glasgow – None.

LAST TIME IN STATE CHAMPIONSHIP GAME: Holy Cross – Never; Glasgow – 2000 (lost to Boyle County in Class 2A title game, 38-6).

HOW THEY GOT HERE IN PLAYOFFS: Holy Cross – Beat Carroll County, 68-0; Owen County, 45-0; Newport Central Catholic, 24-21 and Somerset 48-14; Glasgow – Beat Washington County 63-6; Bardstown, 15-9; Christian Academy-Louisville, 21-0; Murray 40-10.
STARTING LINEUPS

Offense

Holy Cross: LT Nick Sanders (6-2, 259 Sr.); LG Andrew Munson (6-0, 240 Jr.); C Alex Russell (6-1, 219 Jr.); RG Seth Dean (6-0, 230 Sr.); RT Jacob Ketron (6-2, 215 Soph.); TE Adam Kozerski (6-3, 221 Sr.); QB Kyle Fuller (6-1, 182 Sr.); FB Jalen Beal (6-1, 170 Soph.); RB Lamar Chames (5-8, 138 Sr.); WR Eric Walker (6-0, 159 Sr.); WR Justin Kohake (5-9, 170 Sr.)

Glasgow: LT Ryne Saltsman (6-0, 240 Sr.); LG Matt Carson (5-8, 270 Jr.); C Derek Devore (6-0, 210 Sr.); RG Alex Hawkins (6-0, 255 Sr.); RT Josh Poynter (6-4, 210 Sr.); TE Hunter Bowles (6-6, 250 Sr.); QB Parker Cash (6-0, 175 Sr.); FB Hunter Botts (6-0, 201 Sr.); RB Jalen Sublett (6-3, 200 Sr.); WR Milas Norris (6-1, 185 Soph.); WR Lajuan Smith (6-4, 205 Sr.).

Defense

Holy Cross: LE Kyle Fuller (6-1, 182 Sr.); LT Kyle Fischer (5-11, 202 Jr.); RT Adam Kozerski (6-3, 221 Sr.); RE James Trunnell (5-9, 181 Sr.); OLB Burt Pouncy (5-9, 170 Jr.); ILB Paul Lampone (6-0, 190 Sr.); ILB Devyn Herndon (5-9, 204 Jr.); CB Eric Walker (6-0, 159 Sr.); CB Lamar Chames (5-8, 138 Sr.); FS Jalen Beal (6-1, 170 Soph.).

Glasgow: LE Josh Poynter (6-4, 210 Sr.); LT Jordan Alexander (5-9, 180 Sr.); RT Hunter Bowles (6-6, 250 Sr.); RE Lajuan Smith (6-4, 205 Sr.). OLB Milas Norris (6-1, 185 Soph.); MLB Hunter Botts (6-0, 201 Sr.); OLB Camerin Garmon (5-8, 155 Jr.); CB Blake Copass (5-8, 150 Sr.); CB Garry Settles (5-9, 145 Jr.); SS Josh Wooten (5-11, 160 Sr.); FS Parker Cash (6-0, 175 Sr.).
HOLY CROSS TEAM STATS

Offense: 41.4 points per game; 215.9 yards rushing per game; 212.2 yards passing per game.

Defense: 17.6 points per game; 148.0 yards rushing per game; 82.9 yards passing per game.
GLASGOW TEAM STATS

Offense: 40.3 points per game; 271.9 yards rushing per game; 101.8 yards passing per game.

Defense: 6.7 points per game; 84.7 yards rushing per game; 89.9 yards passing per game.
RUSHING LEADERS

Holy Cross: Kyle Fuller (200 carries for 1,343 yards, 15 TDs); Jalen Beal (79-541, 13 TDs); Burt Pouncy (25-331, 4 TDs).

Glasgow: Jalen Sublett (265 carries for 2,172 yards, 27 TDs); Parker Cash (117-689, 10 TDs); Quentel Bradley (24-266, 4 TDs).

PASSING LEADER

Holy Cross: Kyle Fuller (149 of 264 for 2,509 yards, 32 TDs, 14 INTs).

Glasgow: Parker Cash (61 of 96 for 1,008 yards, 14 TDs, 4 INTs).

RECEIVING LEADERS

Holy Cross: Eric Walker (69 catches for 1,242 yards, 18 TDs); Jalen Beal (47-789, 7 TDs); Justin Kohake (27-337, 5 TDs); Adam Kozerski (20-263, 2 TDs).

Glasgow: Lajuan Smith (26 catches for 569 yards, 5 TDs); Hunter Bowles (19-335, 3 TDs); Hunter Botts (12-164, 1 TD).

DEFENSIVE LEADERS:

Holy Cross: Paul Lampone (122 tackles, 89 solo, 4 fumble recoveries); Adam Kozerski (75 tackles, 63 solo, 3 interceptions, 2 TDs); Eric Walker (6 interceptions, 2 TDs).

Glasgow: Jordan Alexander (56 tackles); Hunter Botts (53 tackles); Parker Cash (3 interceptions).

WHAT TO EXPECT WHEN HOLY CROSS HAS THE BALL: The majority of the offense focuses around quarterback Kyle Fuller, who is averaging 275.1 yards per game in total offense (179.2 yards per game passing and 95.9 yards per game rushing). Eric Walker and Jalen Beal are his main targets, but he will also spread the ball around to Kohake and Kozerski. Glasgow might be the best defense Holy Cross has faced all season though as it has held all but three teams under double-digits in points and posted five shutouts.

WHAT TO EXPECT WHEN GLASGOW HAS THE BALL: Run, run and more run. The Scotties average just 6.9 pass attempts per game and attempted just two passes in last week’s 40-10 win over Murray, but rushed for 432 yards on 49 attempts. Jalen Sublett had 264 yards rushing on 28 carries. He and quarterback Parker Cash combined for an average of 27.3 rushing attempts per game and no other player averages more than three carries per game. They totaled 44 of the team’s 49 rushes last week. Most of Cash’s passes are deep balls off play-action and he is completing 62.2 percent and averages 16.5 yards per completion. The Holy Cross defense has been outstanding in the playoffs, allowing just 35 total points (21 against defending Class 2A champ NewCath), and in last week’s 48-14 win over Somerset allowed just 241 yards total offense.

BOTTOM LINE: Holy Cross arguably cleared its biggest hurdle on the way to a state championship when it beat NewCath two weeks ago and while this should be a close game. The Indians have a good enough defense to slow down a one-dimensional team and their offense is probably the best Glasgow has faced this season.
CLASS 2A
Glasgow vs.Covington Holy Cross
Kickoff: 4 p.m. (EST)
Records: Glasgow 14-0; Holy Cross 11-3
Cantrall ratings: Glasgow 75.8; Holy Cross 75.8
History lesson: Glasgow is a three-time state runner-up (2000, 1999, 1982). This is the first finals for Holy Cross.
Indians' chief: It would be an understatement to say QB Kyle Fuller controls the Holy Cross offense. He's run the ball 200 times and thrown it 264 times for a combined 3,852 yards and 47 TDs, well over half the team totals of 5,995 yards and 85 TDs.
Glasgow's leaders: Parker Cash has passed for 1,008 yards, 10 TDs, and run for 689 yards, 10 TDs. Jalen Sublett has rushed for 2,172 yards, 27 TDs. Lajuan Smith and Hunter Bowles (a tight end who has commited to Louisville) have combined for 45 catches, 900 yards, 8 TDs. Coach Rick Wood loves his team's attitude. "Every now and then you have a talented senior class like this that buys into the preparation aspect of it. They love to play Friday nights but they love to practice Tuesdays, too."
Holy Cross's leaders: Kyle Fuller has thrown for 2,509 yards, 32 TDs, 14 interceptions, and has run for 1,343 yards, 15 TDs. Eric Walker has 69 catches, 1,242 yards, 18 TDs. Jalen Beal has 47 catches, 789 yards, 7 TDs, and has rushed for 541 yards, 13 TDs. Beal also has 3 interceptions and 3 fumble recoveries. Paul Lampone leads the defense with 122 tackles. The Indians stamped themselves for real by beating defending champ Newport Central Catholic in the quarterfinals.
Key to victory: For Glasgow to top off what Wood calls a "dream season," it must slow down Fuller, who does so many things for Holy Cross. "He's unbelievable," Wood said. "He runs it, he throws it, he plays defense, kicks and punts. He's not only a great athlete, he's a real football player."
Glasgow (14-0)
Coach: Rick Wood
Todd Central W, 7-0
Bullitt Central W, 34-0
Barren Co. W, 55-7
Allen Co.-Scottsville W, 14-0
Monroe Co. W, 49-28
Somerset W, 14-7
Clinton Co. W, 55--0
Green Co. W, 28-14
Metcalfe Co. W, 57-6
Elizabethtown W, 62-7
Playoffs
Washington Co. W, 63-6
Bardstown W, 15-9
Lou. Christian W, 21-0
Murray W, 40-10
Cov. Holy Cross (11-3)
Coach: Bruce Kozerski
Dayton W, 65-13
Cooper W, 19-10
Conner L, 41-20
Beechwood L, 69-20
Oldham Co. W, 34--7
Lloyd W, 53-14
Newport W, 53-13
Bishop Brossart W, 69-13
Newport Catholic L, 31-14
Holmes W, 41-0
Playoffs
Carroll Co. W, 68-0
Owen Co. W, 45-0
Newport Catholic W, 24-21
Somerset W, 48-14

Read more: http://www.kentucky.com/2011/12/01/19797...z1fO9LZT65
At Houchens Industries/L.T. Smith Stadium, Bowling Green

Kickoff: 4 p.m. EST.

Records: Glasgow 14-0, Covington Holy Cross 11-3.

Litkenhous Ratings: Glasgow (104.4) is No. 2 in Class 2-A; Covington Holy Cross (103.2) is No.3 in Class 2-A.

Whom to watch: Scotties senior Jalen Sublett (6-3, 200 pounds) has a big frame and has posted big numbers this season, rushing for 2,172 yards and 27 touchdowns. Senior quarterback Parker Cash is a dual threat who has passed for 1,008 yards and 10 TDs and rushed for 689 yards and 10 scores. Tight end/defensive end Hunter Bowles (6-6, 245) has committed to the University of Louisville. Senior quarterback Kyle Fuller does it all for the Indians, passing for 2,509 yards and 32 TDs and rushing for 1,343 yards and 15 TDs. Senior Eric Walker is the top receiver (69 catches, 1,242 yards, 18 TDs) and also leads the defense with six interceptions.

Jason Frakes’ pick: Covington Holy Cross 24-20. Indians pull out the only close game all weekend.

Jody Demling’s pick: Glasgow 21-20. Should be the best game of the weekend. Scotties are a little better.

TICKETS, PARKING

Tickets are $10 per game at the gate. Parking is $5 at the two parking structures near the stadium and at the Creason lot. Free parking is available at the Adams Street, Kentucky Street and Center Street lots, with shuttle service to the stadium.

TELEVISION

Games will be carried on a delayed basis on WKYT in Lexington, WAVE in Louisville, WYMT in Hazard and WBKO in Bowling Green. Check local listings for times and dates.

WEBCASTS

All games will be streamed live for free at http://www.khsaa.tv. Radio broadcasts will be available at http://www.khsaa.org or http://www.khsaa.net. Also follow http://www.courier-journal.com as Jason Frakes and Jody Demling will host a live chat during all six games.
Glasgow is undefeated
Holy Cross has 3 losses
So Holy Cross has not recieved the attention they deserve
What about strength of schedule?
Does stiff competition help prepare for playoffs?
how does Massey rank their opponants?
Glasgow-------------Holy Cross
........top 25 teams
none----------------3 #13,#20,#20 1 win 2 losses
........top 50 teams
none----------------2 #36,#50 1 win 1 loss
.........top 100 teams
4 #52, #62, #71, #77---3 #52, #70, #77
both teams are undefeated versus teams ranked #52 and up
Somerset was the highest ranked team Glasgow played
and the 6th highest team Holy Cross played
It will be interesting to see if that makes a difference.
Last year I felt the Holy Cross was the 2nd best team in 2A
based on how tough they played NCC
HC is a very interesting team to watch.
I have watched them play 5 times in the past 2 years
Last week I turned to the dark side and found my self
pulling for the Indians at Wildcat stadium.
Now its their turn and maybe they will say NCC is the 2nd
best team in 2A...guess we will see in a couple hours
Hope this is as good as the Class A game
^ I'd argue it was not a good game. It was good if you were a hazard fan, but the game was not good
^ Not in a nail biter sense I guess not. Though who doesn't love an underdog win? I'm not really a Hazard fan, supported of Mtn teams yes, but fan no.
I agree. In the 2A game, I'm not real sure there is an underdo. I can sit back on this one and just enjoy it.