Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Belfry 34 - Garrard County 27
I think the key phrase is "two or more".

If the offensive player is engaged with a defensive player, then a 2nd defensive player cannot come in and hit the offensive player low. That will get your knees messed up and that is a chop block.

If that is what the corner was doing, then the call was correct, IMO.
congrats garrard to won great season. had a chance to meet some of the players before the season at a scrimage what a class best of luck.
That is exactly what he was doing. Which is a penalty. It was actually #52 (the tackle) cutting down on the offensive lineman on two of the penalties. The ref even gave him a warning. I watched him walk up to him after the second one and tell him what he was doing. It looked as thou that the pulling lineman for belfry on the sweep was the one being brought down. The penalties were correct. I know its hard for some Garrard fans to except them, shoot I would be upset too, but they were correct.
Hatz Wrote:I was surprised that the Lions won the stats battle 473 yards to 371.

What will the Pirate Defense do against Central?

http://www.centralkynews.com/amnews/spor...9144.story

We had more total yards than Belfry too but you can't give em' the ball inside the 20 on fumbled punts and such and expect to stop them.Had enogh to stop em' on a long field.
on the re-entry, it was not the doing of Garrard on that. KHSAA was really cracking down. This was the first time that we have been in this position. Garrard people were not happy about this either. But I think in the past people have passed tickets off thru the fence so they quit the re-entry on a ticket. Only use the tickets to make sure the money matches attendance. I personally paid for a visiting coach to re-enter at an earlier game. He had entered with the team but had to return to the bus parked outside for equipment. His name had been left off of the list so he was being charged to get in. I personally thought that was a bit over the top but never the less it was the rules that were laid down to the gate workers so they were just doing their job.

Good Luck to Belfry on Saturday
how could the score say Belfry is on a down year? Both teams came into the game with a 12-1 record. They come from different Regions. They were both very good football teams which lead to one of the best games I've ever watched. Apparently you weren't at the game!
All I will say is this; If a ref puts a flag on the field he should stand by it and not pick it up. That happens some times, but funny it happened more times in this game than i have seen in all gmaes this season. My opinion the game was called fair did not see the low blocks to say,but let me say Garrard has my respect even next season great people and team.:Shaking:
Congrats Belfry on your win. Now bring home the 3-A championship to the mountains.
Really suprised at how GC came out focused and how flat Belfry looked. I thought it might be the other way around being that Belfry had been in this situation before and GC was playing infront of the biggest crowd ever at GC. Proud of both teams for playing one of the greatest games I've ever seen. Both teams deserve to move on but Belfry gets the shot at Central. Bring it home Pirates!!!!!
I can't believe it hasn't been talked about, but the failed two point conversion with 2 something left was critical. I thought it was the right call and don't blame the Garrard coach at all for going for it. The momentum had switched to Garrard's favor and I would have went for it also. If that play converted it would have been a totally different ball game. Very gutsy call.
Crossbones Wrote:I can't believe it hasn't been talked about, but the failed two point conversion with 2 something left was critical. I thought it was the right call and don't blame the Garrard coach at all for going for it. The momentum had switched to Garrard's favor and I would have went for it also. If that play converted it would have been a totally different ball game. Very gutsy call.

I was not familiar with Scenters prior to this week,,but after listening to how he handled himself in the build up, and then how he prepared his team and coached them..... well count me as a fan of his.

His decision there did nothing but gain respect for me. He saw a chance at victory, he had a play that he had confidence in, and he showed guts and went for the glory. He also had time left on the clock so he could have another shot.

The more controversial decision IMO was the onside kick. If you pin Belfry deep and force a 3 and Out you probably get the ball with 60 yards ahead of them instead of the long field they were facing. Hindsight is 20/20 though. Nonetheless. Scenters really impressed me and GC fans have to be happy with the program being in his hands.

As I said in the build up...Depth and Experience proved to be the difference. The Pirates didn't buckle when Garrard punched them in the mouth and just kept about their business. The fresh legs rotating in the backfield made a huge impact and when the Pirates needed drives in the 2nd and 4th Quarters they were able to produce and keep their composure. The play by Runyon was a veteran play.

If I am Scenters I am beating down the doors of every "big kid" in Lancaster and trying to grow my roster size and add depth, specifically up front.
Congrats Belfry!!! Great win against a very talented Garrad Co. team. Belfry is always reloading (and calling it a down year lol) & the Garrad team is young & will return most starters i do believe. I look to see both in the same game different channel next year.
Good luck against Central, bring that title home Haywood & Company.
papagrit Wrote:Congrats to Coach Mark Scenters on a heck of year. Not bad for a guy that has just been around for about three years or so in his first head coaching position. They better treat him good there in Lancaster or he might get lured away.
I hope that Coach Scenters feels like he has made a HOME for himself....
Crossbones Wrote:I can't believe it hasn't been talked about, but the failed two point conversion with 2 something left was critical. I thought it was the right call and don't blame the Garrard coach at all for going for it. The momentum had switched to Garrard's favor and I would have went for it also. If that play converted it would have been a totally different ball game. Very gutsy call.
I have to go with Coach on this one. We have made that play 13 out of 14 or 15 out of
16 times. According to my son,, the problem was the GC crowd. The O-line didn't hear
the play call for the fans and didn't make the blocks that they needed. Anyway, could've
should've, they still had a shot and Belfry made the play to stop them. Can't say it enough, heck of a bunch of boys on that field from both sides...what a game....
Gc tackling is what impressed me, believe this team has nowhere to go but up
EKUAlum05 Wrote:I was not familiar with Scenters prior to this week,,but after listening to how he handled himself in the build up, and then how he prepared his team and coached them..... well count me as a fan of his.

His decision there did nothing but gain respect for me. He saw a chance at victory, he had a play that he had confidence in, and he showed guts and went for the glory. He also had time left on the clock so he could have another shot.

The more controversial decision IMO was the onside kick. If you pin Belfry deep and force a 3 and Out you probably get the ball with 60 yards ahead of them instead of the long field they were facing. Hindsight is 20/20 though. Nonetheless. Scenters really impressed me and GC fans have to be happy with the program being in his hands.

As I said in the build up...Depth and Experience proved to be the difference. The Pirates didn't buckle when Garrard punched them in the mouth and just kept about their business. The fresh legs rotating in the backfield made a huge impact and when the Pirates needed drives in the 2nd and 4th Quarters they were able to produce and keep their composure. The play by Runyon was a veteran play.

If I am Scenters I am beating down the doors of every "big kid" in Lancaster and trying to grow my roster size and add depth, specifically up front.

-----
Garrard had lost two defensive starters just a couple of weeks before the Belfry game, but the real killer was the preseason transfer of two players to Danville. One was a running back, who played quite a lot for the Admirals, but the other, J.K. Howard, was a 6'5" 320 lb lineman. He was ranked, along with Billy Abney (Garrard's QB) as one of the top 20 sophomores in the state. He was an All-Area selection for Danville this year on both offense & defense. He sure would have come in handy last Friday! A fantastic high-school game, nonetheless.
GC65 Wrote:-----
Garrard had lost two defensive starters just a couple of weeks before the Belfry game, but the real killer was the preseason transfer of two players to Danville. One was a running back, who played quite a lot for the Admirals, but the other, J.K. Howard, was a 6'5" 320 lb lineman. He was ranked, along with Billy Abney (Garrard's QB) as one of the top 20 sophomores in the state. He was an All-Area selection for Danville this year on both offense & defense. He sure would have come in handy last Friday! A fantastic high-school game, nonetheless.

I disagree with this. Sure, early on it was proabably considered to be a major loss, but this team made it the semifinals, with little trouble I might add. It's my understanding that those two kids transferring may have been one of the best things to happen to this team.
Ramcat77 Wrote:I disagree with this. Sure, early on it was proabably considered to be a major loss, but this team made it the semifinals, with little trouble I might add. It's my understanding that those two kids transferring may have been one of the best things to happen to this team.
Probably shouldn't, but I am going to add my 2 cents on this. Were these players missed?
No... Could they have helped? possibly... Did they help Danville(8-4)? Don't think so...
Harp would have had Danville at 8-4 (or better) without them... I was personally sorry to
see one go. My opinion is that the Howard kid is overrated. He was disrespectful to his
teammates and adults. Simply recognized for his size, not ability. Yes, he made plays,
but he did not dominate like a kid of that size should. No consistency and was beat more
times than he made stops. His size has made him a D1 prospect. That being said, I hope
they make the best of their decision and step up for the Ads. Next season will be their
Senior year, Howard needs to hit the weights hard and work on his side-to-side speed
and lead by example.