Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How Big Can He Go In College?
Just came across this video of Mitch McDowell, punter for Covington Catholic. I was just curious on your opinions for how big he could go in college. Does he have potential for D1? His average distance per punt this year is about 42 yards. His two longest punts were of 55 and 53 yards. His two shortest were both 14 yards each against Dixie one was an awful shank and the other he tried to pin inside the ten from Dixie's 35. If you take his two best punts and his two worst punts, his average is around 44-45 yards. How big do you think he can go in college? I don't even need to ask about Evan Talkers, because he's got a D1 leg already. Here's the link to Mitch's highlight reel for his Junior and Senior season.

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/330569/mitch-mcdowell

^You might have to install SilverLight to view videos from Hudl. It's a harmless software that takes about 2 minutes to install.
Nah he is from Northern Kentucky NIAI at best.
Well him, Talkers, and Nussbaum (sp?) all have killer legs. They are huge weapons for their teams. According to McDowell's Hudl profile it says he won the Ohio State Punting Competition for distance and came in 3rd for the overall UC camp. He's competed with some of the best.
nice distance, and solid hang time. however, the problem with punters getting recruited is that most colleges are not big on giving punters and kickers full football scholarships. look at shane popham, the guy was gold from 40-50 yds, drilled a 58 yd field goal, but wake forest had him walk on.
When Highlands played CCH, I was very interested in watching their kicking game. Their kicker was solid, but punter was poor in the game agianst Highlands. Do not know if it was the guy you are talking about though.
nkyfootball81 Wrote:Just came across this video of Mitch McDowell, punter for Covington Catholic. I was just curious on your opinions for how big he could go in college. Does he have potential for D1? His average distance per punt this year is about 42 yards. His two longest punts were of 55 and 53 yards. His two shortest were both 14 yards each against Dixie one was an awful shank and the other he tried to pin inside the ten from Dixie's 35. If you take his two best punts and his two worst punts, his average is around 44-45 yards. How big do you think he can go in college? I don't even need to ask about Evan Talkers, because he's got a D1 leg already. Here's the link to Mitch's highlight reel for his Junior and Senior season.

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/330569/mitch-mcdowell

^You might have to install SilverLight to view videos from Hudl. It's a harmless software that takes about 2 minutes to install.

So what schools have given Talkers offers?
sstack Wrote:When Highlands played CCH, I was very interested in watching their kicking game. Their kicker was solid, but punter was poor in the game agianst Highlands. Do not know if it was the guy you are talking about though.

Did you not see him punt against Beechwood?

How can you really say that about the punter? He punted once. It was a 42 yard hit. Sheehan got 12 yards on the return and then got called back with a clip. Before the game he kicked at least five out of the endzone while warming up. I'll agree at half time he didn't look too good. Not to be used as an excuse, but he did punt against Highlands and the week before against Beechwood with a very bad eversion ankle sprain. He hasn't dressed since Highlands. I think he'll be back for the Holmes game this week.

Talkers on the other hand had his worst game of the year against Highlands. Missing a small field goal at half time. He put the majority of his kicks in the endzone, but not as many as I had expected him. I don't expect him to be missing anymore field goals on November 18th.

Stardust Wrote:So what schools have given Talkers offers?

I talked to both Talkers and McDowell, and they said that neither have any offers yet. They won't be sending out their films till after the season concludes (hopefully after the first week of December :rockonSmile. But I do know Talkers got an offer for soccer at the University of Cincinnati. They said he couldn't kick in football if he were to play soccer because it would interfere too much.
toussaints Wrote:nice distance, and solid hang time. however, the problem with punters getting recruited is that most colleges are not big on giving punters and kickers full football scholarships. look at shane popham, the guy was gold from 40-50 yds, drilled a 58 yd field goal, but wake forest had him walk on.

Agreed, Popham was a stud. And yes I agree with you on the walk-on part. But normally they give the scholarship to them if they keep improving and will for sure be a punter for the team. Smaller colleges normally offer scholarships though. How big of a school do you think McDowell could walk on at?
nkyfootball81 Wrote:Agreed, Popham was a stud. And yes I agree with you on the walk-on part. But normally they give the scholarship to them if they keep improving and will for sure be a punter for the team. Smaller colleges normally offer scholarships though. How big of a school do you think McDowell could walk on at?

I think he could walk-on at a mid to lower level D1 program like WKU, EKU, Murray, MTSU, Marshall, Ohio. Maybe a chance at Cincinnati, Indiana.
nkyfootball81 Wrote:Did you not see him punt against Beechwood?

How can you really say that about the punter? He punted once. It was a 42 yard hit. Sheehan got 12 yards on the return and then got called back with a clip. Before the game he kicked at least five out of the endzone while warming up. I'll agree at half time he didn't look too good. Not to be used as an excuse, but he did punt against Highlands and the week before against Beechwood with a very bad eversion ankle sprain. He hasn't dressed since Highlands. I think he'll be back for the Holmes game this week.

Talkers on the other hand had his worst game of the year against Highlands. Missing a small field goal at half time. He put the majority of his kicks in the endzone, but not as many as I had expected him. I don't expect him to be missing anymore field goals on November 18th.

I talked to both Talkers and McDowell, and they said that neither have any offers yet. They won't be sending out their films till after the season concludes (hopefully after the first week of December :rockonSmile. But I do know Talkers got an offer for soccer at the University of Cincinnati. They said he couldn't kick in football if he were to play soccer because it would interfere too much.

Talkers is a stud on the soccer field!
sstack Wrote:Talkers is a stud on the soccer field!

IMO he's the best soccer player in the state. I haven't gone around looking for better players though. Kicking wise, I don't know where he would sit. Nussbaum is an animal kicking off the tee and block. I've heard good things about a kid from Pikeville (I'm not positive if that's where he's from), but how does he compare to Nussbaum?