Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Russell County 60 - South Laurel 39
Russell County moves to 3-0 in a high scoring contest against South Laurel.

Russell Co Stats

Rushing: 299 Yards (Nick Britt 16 carries for 182 & 4TD)
Passing: 254 yards on 6/11 3 TDs

Britt also had a 63-yard TDr, & a 90-Yard KO return
That's a lot of offense. 99 combined points. The Britt kid is the real deal.
He's coming around. Had a fumble on a botched exchange.....gotta clean that up...LOL!
laker20 Wrote:He's coming around. Had a fumble on a botched exchange.....gotta clean that up...LOL!

Haha. I'm sure he'll be ready by the next game. Pulaski County better be prepared for him.
Impressive game by Britt
Congrats Russell.
There really showing they can compete with Knox and Rock, they just have to prove it.
The offense is great. The defense really has to improve. Should not give almost 40 points to the Cardinals. Also, they did post the shutout on Whitley but they gave up 350+ yards. Must shore up that defense.
LWC Wrote:The offense is great. The defense really has to improve. Should not give almost 40 points to the Cardinals. Also, they did post the shutout on Whitley but they gave up 350+ yards. Must shore up that defense.

I agree. In the 1st half we dropped 3 easy interceptions....we were in the right position to make the plays, just didn't finish. This could have been extremely ugly at half.

The D settled down late in the 2nd Qtr and played pretty good through the 2nd half. The Cards scored two times after the half, 1) on the first drive in the 3rd Qtr after we kept their drive alive on personal fouls after Two 3rd down stops 2) Then they scored with 14 seconds left in the game. However, IMO South is a much better offensive team than Whitley...much.

As far as the yardage and the points, I think part of it is because we score so quick that there are several possessions. I don't think we had 10 1st downs in the game, but only failed to score on 2 drives (out of the top of my head). We couldn't have had the ball more than 12-15 minutes total.

Of course, I've said since last year that our offense is as good or better than most, but our D is and will continue to be the questions. I still give us a B in this game. A lot of these guys our Sophmores and Juniurs and hadn't played against the spread.

I'm looking forward to the Maroons. This should be the Lakers tell-all game. If I were comparing 4A D6 teams from what I've seen this far.....Rock, Russell, Knox, ................................Clay.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Congrats Russell.
There really showing they can compete with Knox and Rock, they just have to prove it.

I agree, Pulaski will be a real test next week, and you can see where I stand on the district above. Knox Central has disappointed me this far. I wasn't impressed with their game last night or against WJ...granted their comp has been better than ours up to this point.
laker20 Wrote:I agree. In the 1st half we dropped 3 easy interceptions....we were in the right position to make the plays, just didn't finish. This could have been extremely ugly at half.

The D settled down late in the 2nd Qtr and played pretty good through the 2nd half. The Cards scored two times after the half, 1) on the first drive in the 3rd Qtr after we kept their drive alive on personal fouls after Two 3rd down stops 2) Then they scored with 14 seconds left in the game. However, IMO South is a much better offensive team than Whitley...much.

As far as the yardage and the points, I think part of it is because we score so quick that there are several possessions. I don't think we had 10 1st downs in the game, but only failed to score on 2 drives (out of the top of my head). We couldn't have had the ball more than 12-15 minutes total.

Of course, I've said since last year that our offense is as good or better than most, but our D is and will continue to be the questions. I still give us a B in this game. A lot of these guys our Sophmores and Juniurs and hadn't played against the spread.

I'm looking forward to the Maroons. This should be the Lakers tell-all game. If I were comparing 4A D6 teams from what I've seen this far.....Rock, Russell, Knox, ................................Clay.

To the bolded, I certainly agree.

To the italicized, I put it like this right now:
Rock
Russell County

Knox Central

Clay County