Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Has anyone sign with Cumberlands KY this year ?
Just wondering have they sign any Kentucky players this year ?
i can tell you from experience they recruit hard phone calls and mail visits they leave no stone unturned. but you cant wait until after the NCAA sining period to make offers and then be upset because you lost a kid. great staff and great theory they never turn anyone away if you wanna play there you can but financial aid from the team i think is a little bit herder to come by.
They don't sign many Kentucky players, they like to go down to Georgia and Florida for most of their players, if you look on their varsity roster most of their game day players are from Georgia and Florida.
Kentucky 43, Tennessee 29. Makes up bout half of roster. Georgia does have 57 and Florida 6. Coach Bland has to go to Georgia to get players. He has been pretty successful doing the way he is doing it.
cavery59 Wrote:Just wondering have they sign any Kentucky players this year ?

I know Zack Templin from East Jessamine, told them he was not interested.
From what i can tell they show no interest in ky players. I know a few players that were interested in trying to go there they wouldnt even call back. So they signed with other schools to me they are missing out on some good talent right here in Kentucky.
HCAlum92 Wrote:From what i can tell they show no interest in ky players. I know a few players that were interested in trying to go there they wouldnt even call back. So they signed with other schools to me they are missing out on some good talent right here in Kentucky.

They've been doing this for years now. My advice to all the local kids looking at this school is, STAY AWAY.
I can tell you from experience That Cumberlands does recruit in state kids. I signed well over 50 of them in my four years down there. The major problem is definately not the coaching or recruiting but the financial aid office. They take forever to get financial aid packages together. Very few NAIA schools can know for certian what a financial aid package will look like before the NCAA signing day because NAIA and D3 schools have to look at financial aid packages. Since signing day is the first or second wednesday in February and most parents do not fill out FAFSA until they file their taxes then smaller schools can only estimate for guys that want to sign on national signing day. The staff at Cumberlands is very honest with evaluation of kids and do not want to give an estimate and then have the actual financial aid package come back and be off by a few thousand dollars. When this happens kids and parents feel lied to. Another reason is that Cumberlands gets so many kids out of Georgia, Tennessee and Florida because of their location and past coaches recruiting ties in those areas. As an Estill County graduate I hate to say this but Kentucky high school football is not up to the talent (overall) that comes out of those states. Cumberlands is a small school in a small town and about an hour from any real city. A lot of kids chose not to go there because of the location. The last time that a team won four consecutive conference championships was Georgetown's dynasty of the late 90's and 2000's. A lot of the talent on those teams were division 1AA transfers and were from KY and OHIO mostly. A lot of starters were from OHIO. It can be done with KY kids but you need to get every KY that is left after EKU, Murray, UK, UL, and Morehead are done picking. Coach Bland is a great HC and you can not argue with the facts or the record he has at UC.
Russ Shearer
Koachshr Wrote:I can tell you from experience That Cumberlands does recruit in state kids. I signed well over 50 of them in my four years down there. The major problem is definately not the coaching or recruiting but the financial aid office. They take forever to get financial aid packages together. Very few NAIA schools can know for certian what a financial aid package will look like before the NCAA signing day because NAIA and D3 schools have to look at financial aid packages. Since signing day is the first or second wednesday in February and most parents do not fill out FAFSA until they file their taxes then smaller schools can only estimate for guys that want to sign on national signing day. The staff at Cumberlands is very honest with evaluation of kids and do not want to give an estimate and then have the actual financial aid package come back and be off by a few thousand dollars. When this happens kids and parents feel lied to. Another reason is that Cumberlands gets so many kids out of Georgia, Tennessee and Florida because of their location and past coaches recruiting ties in those areas. As an Estill County graduate I hate to say this but Kentucky high school football is not up to the talent (overall) that comes out of those states. Cumberlands is a small school in a small town and about an hour from any real city. A lot of kids chose not to go there because of the location. The last time that a team won four consecutive conference championships was Georgetown's dynasty of the late 90's and 2000's. A lot of the talent on those teams were division 1AA transfers and were from KY and OHIO mostly. A lot of starters were from OHIO. It can be done with KY kids but you need to get every KY that is left after EKU, Murray, UK, UL, and Morehead are done picking. Coach Bland is a great HC and you can not argue with the facts or the record he has at UC.
Russ Shearer

Bland is indeed a great coach and one heck of a guy, he is a true treasure for UC to have. However, I think UC passes over a lot of kids in KY who can play meaningful time at Cumberlands in the state of Kentucky.
Cumberlands has beaten C'ville five years in a row. C'ville tends to sign more Ky. kids. Also, NAIA entry standards are lower than the NCAA, giving those schools a shot at non qualifiers.
I know Cumberlands did not recruit Chris Kelly from NewCath very hard, they were one of the few NAIA Mid South Conference schools that did not take a serious look at him.
And Kelly ended up signing with EKU. If you ask me that is a good evaluation of players that can play at a higher level. I know that I have personally not recruited kids because they can play at a higher level. The other thing that Cumberlands does is recruit with an ideal that they will not recruit kids that are going to put themselves tremendously in debt if they can go to a state school and actually play. Its a difficult life being an NAIA coach and trying to do the right thing. Coach Bland does it right.
So how dose Cumberlands give out football money ? And much debt will the player has if played for Cumberlands ?
I'm sure Cumberlands has a number of scholarships that the divide up in a certain % for a "non walk on" athlete. The other info you can find on the school website.
Cody Mote, a running back from Southwestern (Somerset, KY) is signing to play there today.
They sign Cole Potter OL from Greenup county on Friday