Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Highlands/Trinity updates
6:50 to go in first quarter and no score
what a game that is two powerhouses
Highlands punting from their own 5. Trinity should get good field position. Highlands has a new punter also.
New punter and deep in his endzone and only gets it to the 12 yd line after partially blocked.
Highlands D is looking good; holds Trinity to a field goal after first and goal from inside the 10 yard line. Trinity 3 Highlands 0
Just heard Highlands has several players nicked up and sitting out the game (Shehan, Collingsworth ). Highlands seems to be trying to let the new O linemen work on some pass blocking; very few running plays so far.
End of the first quarter:

Trinity 3 Highlands 0
Quick scores on a 6 yard pass play. Highlands D did not make it easy on Trinity; Took about 6 plays inside the 15 for them to score.

Trinity 10 Highlands 0
That's quite a change from last year's scrimmage.
Low scoring game, and what's wrong with the Highlands O?
Wideleft01 Wrote:Low scoring game, and what's wrong with the Highlands O?

Looks like they are running a pretty basic O, some top WR's not playing, and terrible field position. They started inside the 10 twice.

Trinity just Intercepted Towles and have great field position for the 3rd straight time.
Bruns is going to be a stud on D for Highlands!
Trinity turns a turnover into 7 points to make it Trinity 17 Highlands 0, with about 4 mins to go in the half.
Trinity 24 Highlands 0 at the half.

Trinity played the short field the entire first half. Highlands D looked good with alot of guys coming in to play, but O looked very sluggish.
Did everyone go home?
Last I heard was 31-7 in 3rd qtr.
38-14 Trinity Final
Could the HHS O move the ball effectively?
Stardust Wrote:Could the HHS O move the ball effectively?

No. But looked like their game plan was not to show too much and work exclusively on the passing game so new O line could work on pass blocking. It did not help that they had very bad starting field position most of the first half.
Fort Thomas Highlands, though no Louisville Trinity, is still the best government school football team in the Commonwealth. A lot of posters in these threads seem to like to express their dislike of both programs. Jealousy is not uncommon among the lessor groups. Instead of whining, maybe the others should work to become contenders rather than pretenders.
sstack Wrote:No. But looked like their game plan was not to show too much and work exclusively on the passing game so new O line could work on pass blocking. It did not help that they had very bad starting field position most of the first half.

From what I understand, both teams game plan what to not show too much, because it was just a scrimmage. Trinity just had the better team. Both teams can only get better from this scrimmage.
Wasn't Sheehan & Collinsworth out for Highlands?

Highlands probably has arguably the best public school in the state this season, it's just Trinity has one of the best teams in the country and is loaded with D1 players.
It was just a scrimmage.

The true talent of the two teams will be shown on August 19.

I sounded like Trinity was the better team last night and should be fine.

At Boyle County next week, we will see if this outing for Highlands was just a blip on the radar or a sign of real trouble for the Bluebirds.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:Wasn't Sheehan & Collinsworth out for Highlands?

Highlands probably has arguably the best public school in the state this season, it's just Trinity has one of the best teams in the country and is loaded with D1 players.

Yes, they were both nicked up and did not play. I would expect both to be on the field next week.
I'm sure both teams were working on what they may consider potential problem areas. Highlands will be fine, a scrimmage like this can only help with the evaluation of players. Trinity has one of the best teams in the nation this year and if they get through their schedule (which is very tough) with all W's they will be ranked very high at year end.
Best of luck to both programs!!!
Highlands like everyone else in the state and Probably 95% of the high school football teams in the Country are no match for Trinity this season they are LOADED!!!!! Highlands will be fine and in all honesty I think they will put it on Boyle Co. by 2-3 TD's. Boyle lost alot of talent from the past 2 season and neither team played HHS.
Trinity is loaded and in a real game would have to be the favorite over Highlands this season. However, this scrimmage is not an indication of how a real game would be played. No way the final score is this much of a disparity in an actual game.

Would the 2 receivers have sat? Would the 2 Sr starting offensive lineman have sat? Would Highlands have only passed the ball and not let Towles scramble or run? Would the defense have played everything straight up with no stunts, blitzes, etc.... I think not. You don't always see what you think you saw. I'm sure neither team showed their complete arsenal, but I was only concerned with Highlands side of the ball. We'll know more about the real Highlands team after this Friday's game. We'll also know more about Trinity when their opponents are playing for keeps too. I will say this, the GCL better watch out.
Wideleft01 Wrote:Trinity is loaded and in a real game would have to be the favorite over Highlands this season. However, this scrimmage is not an indication of how a real game would be played. No way the final score is this much of a disparity in an actual game.

Would the 2 receivers have sat? Would the 2 Sr starting offensive lineman have sat? Would Highlands have only passed the ball and not let Towles scramble or run? Would the defense have played everything straight up with no stunts, blitzes, etc.... I think not. You don't always see what you think you saw. I'm sure neither team showed their complete arsenal, but I was only concerned with Highlands side of the ball. We'll know more about the real Highlands team after this Friday's game. We'll also know more about Trinity when their opponents are playing for keeps too. I will say this, the GCL better watch out.

Exactly...you also won't see Highlands rotate 20 different players on defense in any game this year like they did in the 1st quarter alone against Trinity. Trinity didn't substitute nearly as freely as Highlands did in the first 3 quarters.
KyMizzle Wrote:Exactly...you also won't see Highlands rotate 20 different players on defense in any game this year like they did in the 1st quarter alone against Trinity. Trinity didn't substitute nearly as freely as Highlands did in the first 3 quarters.

I heard 3 to 4 players were being sent in after almost every play on D. That is great for so many players to get game like practice against a team like Trinity!