Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Interesting Stats: Knott/Perry/Hazard
Many people complain about the stlyle of play imposed by Perry Central's Coach Allen Hatcher but if you look at the stats his team is not much different than others. According to the KHSAA here are the stats for the following teams:

Hazard - 56 ppg on offense 50 ppg on defense Record - 9-5
Perry - 55 ppg on offense 44 ppg on defense Record - 8-4
Knott - 59 ppg on offense 53 ppg on defense Record -7-5

Anyone that looks at these stats can see that they are very similar. Rarely do I hear anyone complain about Hazard or Knott for their style of play. Although I am a KCC fan, I am also a Fan of the coaching ability of Allen Hatcher. I truly think that he puts his teams in the best position to win night in and night out. They play the best defense in the region. They are not the most talented team in the region.... Just some food for thought!
Interesting.
I will say this....
if you look up the stats from the past two years for these 3 teams...
This is the only time it will be this close lol
Had some time on my hands so I did what Zaga Fan suggested. During the 2009/10 season Knott averaged 70 ppg, Perry 60ppg, and Hazard 63ppg. Also take into consideration that Knott played Jenkins twice, Cordia twice, and JBS three times. They scored over two hundred points against Jenkins and nearly 90 per game against JBS...In games that Knott and Perry had similar opponets look at the scores.

Knott 67 Bell 52
Perry 63 Bell 53
Knott 81 Breathitt 68
Perry 75 Breathitt 56
Knott 57 Shelby Valley 60
Perry 60 Shelby valley 57
Knott 54 Perry 61
Perry 51 Knott 53

More similar than one might think.
I agree with you alc88!!! Most people just look at the scores and think its all just PCC running their offense for 2 or 3 minutes every trip down the floor. Thats not the case. PCC makes the teams that they are playing turn their offense over several times to get a good shot. They are the best defensive team in the mountains year in and year out now. If you shoot quick shots against PCC its usually along night for ya.
alc88 Wrote:Many people complain about the stlyle of play imposed by Perry Central's Coach Allen Hatcher but if you look at the stats his team is not much different than others. According to the KHSAA here are the stats for the following teams:

Anyone that looks at these stats can see that they are very similar. Rarely do I hear anyone complain about Hazard or Knott for their style of play. Although I am a KCC fan, I am also a Fan of the coaching ability of Allen Hatcher. I truly think that he puts his teams in the best position to win night in and night out. They play the best defense in the region. They are not the most talented team in the region.... Just some food for thought!

It's the big games that against the best teams when Hatcher screws up. Last year he did it in the regional tournament and this year he did it again in the wymt. He plays not to lose, he doesnt play to win!
Took a look at Hatcher's record over the past twelve years. That's as far as could find. From 1997 to 2005, Hatcher took Graves County to the State Tourney 3 times. He lost in the regional championship twice. During his first three years at PCC he has been in the regional finals three times. I will take my chances with him at the helm.... Anyways, a Coach is supposed to put a team in position to win. They cannot win games. Players must execute, make free throws, hit open shots, and continue to play defense without fouling. Coaches can't do those things.... I remember back several years ago a Coach by the name of Dean Smith ran a Delay offense called four corners during the last 4 to 5 minutes of every game. Many people hated him but he has won numerous championships and is a Hall Of Fame Coach.... Again, I am a KCC fan but I do know good coaching when I see it.
alc88 Wrote:Took a look at Hatcher's record over the past twelve years. That's as far as could find. From 1997 to 2005, Hatcher took Graves County to the State Tourney 3 times. He lost in the regional championship twice. During his first three years at PCC he has been in the regional finals three times. I will take my chances with him at the helm.... Anyways, a Coach is supposed to put a team in position to win. They cannot win games. Players must execute, make free throws, hit open shots, and continue to play defense without fouling. Coaches can't do those things.... I remember back several years ago a Coach by the name of Dean Smith ran a Delay offense called four corners during the last 4 to 5 minutes of every game. Many people hated him but he has won numerous championships and is a Hall Of Fame Coach.... Again, I am a KCC fan but I do know good coaching when I see it.

Well what kind of coaching do you see at KCC right now?
alc88 Wrote:Took a look at Hatcher's record over the past twelve years. That's as far as could find. From 1997 to 2005, Hatcher took Graves County to the State Tourney 3 times. He lost in the regional championship twice. During his first three years at PCC he has been in the regional finals three times. I will take my chances with him at the helm.... Anyways, a Coach is supposed to put a team in position to win. They cannot win games. Players must execute, make free throws, hit open shots, and continue to play defense without fouling. Coaches can't do those things.... I remember back several years ago a Coach by the name of Dean Smith ran a Delay offense called four corners during the last 4 to 5 minutes of every game. Many people hated him but he has won numerous championships and is a Hall Of Fame Coach.... Again, I am a KCC fan but I do know good coaching when I see it.

You're comparing apples to oranges. Read your post again it looks like what I said, he can't win the big one. Three regional championships and you don't win one of them in this region it spells choke and playing the slow down ball when you have a 10 point lead and losing it every time. You would think he would have learned after 50 years of coaching.
superfreak Wrote:You're comparing apples to oranges. Read your post again it looks like what I said, he can't win the big one. Three regional championships and you don't win one of them in this region it spells choke and playing the slow down ball when you have a 10 point lead and losing it every time. You would think he would have learned after 50 years of coaching.

This is silly.
Hatcher knows what he's doing. He's been to a few final 4's here in Kentucky and won a state title in West Virginia. How many coaches can say that? He don't have the greatest talent at Perry Central but he put his team in positions to win and they couldn't hit ft's to close games out, or they have a few unforced turnovers. That falls on the players, not the coach. If he wasn't coaching Perry, they definitely wouldn't have made the regional championship game the last few years.
superfreak Wrote:You're comparing apples to oranges. Read your post again it looks like what I said, he can't win the big one. Three regional championships and you don't win one of them in this region it spells choke and playing the slow down ball when you have a 10 point lead and losing it every time. You would think he would have learned after 50 years of coaching.

Hatcher's gameplan is simple but it takes a very basketball-smart team to run it.
When he lost his first regional championship at Perry he shouldn't even have been there.
When he lost the next year, he lost in overtime to an absolutely STACKED Hazard team, and it took a phantom goaltending call to send it to OT.
Last year, Tate Cox played maybe the best 2 minutes of basketball that the mountains have ever seen, and the worst foul a team could ever give(a loose ball foul 95 feet from the basket with the other team in the double bonus) for Knott to edge the game out.
The only reason they lost in the WYMT was because of the inexperience they have in the backcourt. As the year goes on they will improve and after what I've seen out of them this year....
This will be the year that they end the drought.
alc88 Wrote:Many people complain about the stlyle of play imposed by Perry Central's Coach Allen Hatcher but if you look at the stats his team is not much different than others. According to the KHSAA here are the stats for the following teams:

Do some more research for me big guy. Look up what these 3 teams averaged before Allen Hatcher came to the 14th Region. Because since he has came it seems like his style had been wearing off on everyone else. Which is horrible.
alc88 Wrote:Had some time on my hands so I did what Zaga Fan suggested. During the 2009/10 season Knott averaged 70 ppg, Perry 60ppg, and Hazard 63ppg. Also take into consideration that Knott played Jenkins twice, Cordia twice, and JBS three times. They scored over two hundred points against Jenkins and nearly 90 per game against JBS...In games that Knott and Perry had similar opponets look at the scores.

Knott 67 Bell 52
Perry 63 Bell 53
Knott 81 Breathitt 68
Perry 75 Breathitt 56
Knott 57 Shelby Valley 60
Perry 60 Shelby valley 57
Knott 54 Perry 61
Perry 51 Knott 53

More similar than one might think.

2007/2008 season, look what these 3 teams averaged in thats season. Where Knott had to play JBS with Collins and both Stepps, and had to play the 2nd best team in the region to Hazard in Cordia with Zach Hurt and Josh Taylor. You will see the major scoring difference with Perry
The one thing I can tell you about High School basketball is that you have to play the hand that you are dealt. I see so many coaches who try to play up-tempo with players that are not suited for that type of game. Granted It also goes the other way. I thought that Knott Central the past 2 years should have played 8-10 kids each night and pressed from buzzer to buzzer with thier team but they didn't. Many times they let other teams, (Perry Central) dictate tempo. I love to watch fast pace basketball but believe it or not the best teams win with their half court defense. Therefore, you are not going to see as many games in the 70's and 80's. Most coaches could care less if you hate the style that they play. Bottom line is winning. Coaches usually do not get fired for winning ugly. They do get fired for losing. It doesn't matter how many points you score if you lose.
One more thing, during the last 5 years the officiating in the 14th region has become more like the 11th region. They let the teams play and do not call a lot of ticky tacky fouls. Several years ago the 14th was notorious for having both teams shooting 25 to 30 freethrows per game thus bumping up the ppg. Just a thought!