Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
North Laurel 68 Clay County 56 (Cumberland Falls Invitational)
Final.
I'm not seeing clay as the clear favorite some were predicting them to be.
I haven't seen your Whitley Co team play but I have seen Clay Co, Corbin, and Bell Co. I can say one thing for sure. If these are some of the the top teams in the region the 13th is about as down as it could possibly be. If Whitley is going to ever get to the Sweet 16 this may be their best shot.
^ agreed.
This is quite possibly the most down year i have seen.
Clay is still good and so is Bell and could play with just about any team from the mountains, but as far as Whitley making it to rupp, im not so sure.
If they can keep it together they will be fine.

And FYI, its not MY Whitley County team. I dont own the school.
Clay and Bell Co. have the most talent, but talent alone does not get you to Rupp every year. I guess one would have to put North in the mix also.
It wouldnt surprise me for a team to get hot in the region and make it.
A team like Harlan Co. or North could easily win their way in.
Kinda like Cumberland did 8 or 9 years ago.
I'm just not seeing any real basketball talent anywhere in the 13th this year. Did you see what Scott County did to Corbin last night? They could have beaten them by 55 or 60 if they hadn't played their freshman team so much.
12/30/2010
North Laurel 68
Clay Co. 56
North Laurel 14 17 19 18 68
Clay Co. 13 9 15 19 56
Cumberland Falls Invitational at Corbin
North Laurel (6-7) -- Eversole 5, Carson 17, Shears 10, Spencer 17, Likins 19.
Clay Co. (8-4) -- Hooker 18, Roberts 10, Mitchell 12, McGeorge 4, Gay 4, Whitaker 6, Wagers 2.

Read more: http://www.kentucky.com/2010/11/23/15374...z19hTPFSD8
Congrats NL
rojas Wrote:I'm just not seeing any real basketball talent anywhere in the 13th this year. Did you see what Scott County did to Corbin last night? They could have beaten them by 55 or 60 if they hadn't played their freshman team so much.

Has there ever really been talent in the 13th region that matches most of the other regions?
When was the last time the 13th won a championship?
South was in the 12th when they won it. I think it was Clay in the late 80s.
Fact is, were never gonna be able to compete with lville and lex schools. What SV did last year was remarkable but there liable to go another100 years before winning it again.

The pure talent you speak of is few and far between in the 13th when it comes to matching bigger schools.

It's sad to say but true that most of these teams play for the region championship every year and thats it because they always know theyll get beat in the first round at rupp.

But the good news is that anybody in this region could win it literally.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Has there ever really been talent in the 13th region that matches most of the other regions?
When was the last time the 13th won a championship?
South was in the 12th when they won it. I think it was Clay in the late 80s.
Fact is, were never gonna be able to compete with lville and lex schools. What SV did last year was remarkable but there liable to go another100 years before winning it again.

The pure talent you speak of is few and far between in the 13th when it comes to matching bigger schools.

It's sad to say but true that most of these teams play for the region championship every year and thats it because they always know theyll get beat in the first round at rupp.

But the good news is that anybody in this region could win it literally.

In the late 80s and early 90s the 13th was as good as any region in KY. In 1994 Corbin and Harlan both were ranked #1 in KY at different points in the year. Clay Co and Knox Central were also top 20. The 13th has been going down in quality for several years. However, I think this year is the weakest in decades. When one of your better teams gets blasted at home by 38 and it easily could have been 55 or 60 its not good. I really don't see any real talent at Bell Co, Corbin, or Clay Co this year. I think any of about 5 teams could win it.
Kinda shocked by this outcome, I was expecting a much closer game! Congrats Jags!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
LOSERS QUIT WHEN THEY'RE TIRED, WINNERS QUIT WHEN THEY HAVE WON
rojas Wrote:In the late 80s and early 90s the 13th was as good as any region in KY. In 1994 Corbin and Harlan both were ranked #1 in KY at different points in the year. Clay Co and Knox Central were also top 20. The 13th has been going down in quality for several years. However, I think this year is the weakest in decades. When one of your better teams gets blasted at home by 38 and it easily could have been 55 or 60 its not good. I really don't see any real talent at Bell Co, Corbin, or Clay Co this year. I think any of about 5 teams could win it.

94 was a good year for teams around here, but they come away with nothing.
Didnt Corbin have Pietrowski in 94? His senior year was a great year for Corbin. Rick Jones was still a little young then for Corbin to be playing i think.
i also remember Halan from that year and Charles Thomas? Not sure on the name. Something like that. That guy was a beast. He was fun to watch, but in the end they came away with nothing.

I agree with you that their have been some quality teams over the last 20 years but its dropped off a lot since Farmer was at Clay. But even though corbin got completely embarrassed, Clay only lost by 20. I know thats not saying much and i didnt see the game so Scott might have been able to beat them worse, but Corbin probably played one of their worst games ever against Scott Co. And i am in no way defending them, this could be the worst team theyve put on the court since before i was alive.
I also agree with you that this is the weakest year for the 13th in a very long time.

lol it also didnt help that Hicks loves to rip Corbin a new one.
Rick would have been in elementary school in 94. Yes this was Tony's senior year. Charles Thomas is the correct name. He played for the University of Minnesota. SC could have easily beaten Clay Co by much more than 20. Billy Hicks was very kind to Clay Co and Corbin. I disagree with your last sentence. If Hicks wanted to "rip Corbin a new one" he could have beaten them by 58 instead of 38. He went deep into his bench early and often. He played 3 freshmen most of the game.

I don't know if you remember the 94 regional tournament. Corbin was upset by Jackson Co in the first round in double OT. Jackson Co shot 38 free throws to Corbin's 1 free throw in regulation. In the finals Clay Co upset Harlan on a horrible over the back call in the last seconds.
They're about 9-10 teams that could win this region, it will just come down to who gets hot at tourny time. I agree that this is about as down as I have ever seen this region, however there is alot of young talent on several teams that will make this region stronger in the next few years.
Another good region win for the Jags.
Can anyone say overrated?

Clay is 1-4 in the last 5 and North is only 6-7
I like the way Carson plays for North. He is 5 foot nothing but attacks, attacks, and attacks. Clay had no one that could stay in front of him. I would put Hooker on him. Hooker guarded Carson for a possession or two.
Clay was a regional AND state power from '85-'92(except '91). Clay was state runner-up in '85, lost in 1st rd. of sweet 16 to eventual champ Pulaski Co. in '86, State Champ in '87, state runner up in '88, lost in 1st rd. in '89, state Final Four in '90(lost to 2 time champ Fairdale on Sat. morning, '92 was arguably the best team since '87&'88 but lost to Lex. Catholic on Sat. morning after beating Ballard in opener. There will likely never be a mountain team have such a reign ever again. The '92 team was loaded with Shannon Hoskins(South Carolina/Georgetown), Robert Marcum, Mark Smith, Pridemore, Messer and likely would've won it all if starting center James Downey hadn't gone down in district/regional play with a torn ACL. He was a beast at 6'1" down low.
Clay Co was state power in 91 also. However, so was Corbin.
rojas Wrote:Rick would have been in elementary school in 94. Yes this was Tony's senior year. Charles Thomas is the correct name. He played for the University of Minnesota. SC could have easily beaten Clay Co by much more than 20. Billy Hicks was very kind to Clay Co and Corbin. I disagree with your last sentence. If Hicks wanted to "rip Corbin a new one" he could have beaten them by 58 instead of 38. He went deep into his bench early and often. He played 3 freshmen most of the game.

I don't know if you remember the 94 regional tournament. Corbin was upset by Jackson Co in the first round in double OT. Jackson Co shot 38 free throws to Corbin's 1 free throw in regulation. In the finals Clay Co upset Harlan on a horrible over the back call in the last seconds.

You are correct, and in my saying on Hicks, he knows everyone knows he could have beaten any team in that tournament by as much as they wanted, I would think thats a better feeling than actually doing.
I was still in grade school in 94 as well. So i dont remember to much about it. My brother was in high school however and graduated the year after pietrowki did at Corbin. He was also part of the last team for whitley that beat corbin. In 95 they beat Corbin like a drum then lost to them in the tourney. Couldnt believe that one
Whitley has a great chance this year.
rojas Wrote:Rick would have been in elementary school in 94. Yes this was Tony's senior year. Charles Thomas is the correct name. He played for the University of Minnesota. SC could have easily beaten Clay Co by much more than 20. Billy Hicks was very kind to Clay Co and Corbin. I disagree with your last sentence. If Hicks wanted to "rip Corbin a new one" he could have beaten them by 58 instead of 38. He went deep into his bench early and often. He played 3 freshmen most of the game.

Clay beat Jackson in the finals.
Clay beat Harlan and Jackson beat Cawood in the semifinals.
palmer Wrote:Clay beat Jackson in the finals.
Clay beat Harlan and Jackson beat Cawood in the semifinals.

You are correct.
Bad loss for Clay. They show times of tremendous play like the first quarter of the SC game, but other times of awful play. The WYMT is huge for this team. If they don't win a couple of games it could be a long year for this team. I still think this is the most talented team in the mountains, but they have to start playing better.