Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Profile: Highlands QB Patrick Towles
http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll...1/8150343/

Highlands' new quarterbacks coach, who knows a thing or two about playing the position at a high level, insists he's not going to treat his prize pupil like a high school signal caller.

No, Patrick Towles will be pressured and pushed.

Considering he went from the fourth string to a national television broadcast in six months, he should handle the new scrutiny just fine.

"This kid, he's legit," said Jared Lorenzen, the Highlands quarterback legend who is in his first season coaching the position at his alma mater. "He's got a long way to go, but he gets it. He wants to get better."

Towles, a junior, has improved in leaps and bounds in his short high school career. He was a backup quarterback on the freshman team. As a sophomore, he entered spring practice behind three other quarterbacks. By the end of the summer he was the third-stringer. Early in the season, he became the primary backup. Then came his varsity coming-out party - a 12-7 victory over Cincinnati St. Xavier last season, a game broadcast on CBS College Sports Network. He entered that game after a second-half injury to starter Will Bardo and helped maintain the lead.

"I was really nervous going in; there were a lot of people watching that game," said Towles. "But I had (all-state running back) Austin (Collinsworth). I didn't have to do it alone."

Towles kept the job the remainder of the season, helping the Bluebirds to their third straight state title. He threw for 1,138 yards and 10 touchdowns. After taking over the starting role, he didn't throw an interception.

"It was a lot of handoffs," said Towles, who attempted just nine passes a game as a sophomore. "We'd pass when we had to. This year we'll probably rely on the pass a little more."

Both his game and his frame will look different this season. He's added an inch in height and 40 pounds.

"Lots of lifting, lots of protein shakes, seven meals a day," said Towles, who is now 6-foot-5 and 225 pounds.

He also has a new mentor in Lorenzen, who took over the job after former Highlands assistant Robert Vilardo left to become head coach at Miami Valley Christian Academy in Ohio.

Lorenzen and Towles met during last season and kept in contact. When the job opened, Towles called Lorenzen.

"I didn't even know the job was open," said Lorenzen, a 1999 Highlands graduate. "When he called, I didn't know if that was supposed to be a hint or what."

Either way, the former Mr. Football and Super Bowl champion applied and got the job. He's taken Towles and backup Donovan McCoy under his wing. Most of the early lessons have focused on film study and timing.

"You think of Jared as a former NFL player and a great high school and college player. But really, he's such a great coach," said Highlands coach Dale Mueller. "When Jared was in high school, I said he was a football genius. The whole thing just comes to him so well. He just gets it. And he explains it so well. So far it's been great."

Student and teacher
Highlands junior quarterback Patrick Towles might have a head start on Jared Lorenzen - Towles started as a sophomore, but Lorenzen didn't - but he has a long way to go if he's going to match the robust career statistics of his mentor.

Player Att. Comp. Pct. Yds. TDs
Towles 109 53 48.6 1,138 10
Lorenzen 587 351 59.8 6,821 89