Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hiker describes bear attack in Red River Gorge
LOUISVILLE - A hiker who was attacked by a black bear in eastern Kentucky said he was about to stab the animal in the eye with his pocket knife when another hiker threw a day pack at the bear and distracted it

The bear had a really good chunk of my leg in his mouth and was shaking me," Tim Scott told The Associated Press on Monday, after receiving 50-60 stitches and being released from a hospital.

"He was trying to subdue me, and he was focused on nothing but doing that."

The Kentucky Department of Fish and Wildlife Resources says the incident Sunday was the first recorded bear attack on a person in the state.

Wildlife Division Director Karen Waldrop said the agency's policy is to kill any bear that behaves aggressively toward humans, and officials have closed the popular scenic area inside the Daniel Boone National Forest and set traps to try to capture the animal.

Scott, 56, of Springfield, was hiking in the Red River Gorge Geological Area ahead of his wife and son on Sunday when he spotted the bear about 25 feet away. He said it appeared to be about 150 pounds and he took a few photos with his cell phone until the bear disappeared under a ledge. Scott said he was about to call his wife to tell her to take another trail when the bear reappeared.

Scott said he yelled and dropped his belt bag hoping to distract the animal. But the bear sniffed it and continued approaching Scott, who grabbed a rotted branch.
http://nky.cincinnati.com/article/AB/201...k-in-Gorge
I've always wanted to see a black bear in person out in the wild but not like that.
Can't you just imagine this black bear is wondering around in his little neck of the woods when he hears something invading his territory so he steps out to investigate. He suddenly sees this strange character (I'm guessing in kacki shorts with hiking boots and some type of goofy hat) and BOOM lights start flashing and the bear thinking PAPARATZI quickyly ducks back under the cliff. Then he hears this guy on the cellphone calling for a cam corder or whatever instead of getting the heck out of dodge like he needed to do. The bear starts getting a little testy, evidently this guy isn't taking the get off my property warning too seriously. The bear comes back out thinking I'm a little tired of blackberries, I think I'll eat this fruit cake. What a moron? It's wild life people not mild life. These animals are in the wilderness, it's not a petting zoo.
Wise Cracker Wrote:Can't you just imagine this black bear is wondering around in his little neck of the woods when he hears something invading his territory so he steps out to investigate. He suddenly sees this strange character (I'm guessing in kacki shorts with hiking boots and some type of goofy hat) and BOOM lights start flashing and the bear thinking PAPARATZI quickyly ducks back under the cliff. Then he hears this guy on the cellphone calling for a cam corder or whatever instead of getting the heck out of dodge like he needed to do. The bear starts getting a little testy, evidently this guy isn't taking the get off my property warning too seriously. The bear comes back out thinking I'm a little tired of blackberries, I think I'll eat this fruit cake. What a moron? It's wild life people not mild life. These animals are in the wilderness, it's not a petting zoo.

:Thumbs: