Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How many wins is Bell County coach Hilton from holding record?
well not only do the they have to be young but also go to a school that has a good football base. there are plenty of young talented coaches that will never get the wins to approach the record because they will coach at schools that dont have the set up for football to develop young players in grade school & middle school to win. on top of that if you are a powerhouse state team like trinity, highlands, st x, boyle, bell, danville, belfry or whoever that has everything set up to play for championships, they will be hesitant to hire a young coach that doesnt have much experience. when you look at the 4 current active coaches it is possible that one could hit 400 wins. that would mean that a coach would have to average 12 wins a year for 34 years to pass that mark, that is a daunting task. it is quite possible whoever of these 4 gets the mark may never get passed up. i just see the football landscape getting more competitive as we go along and while i am sure you will have some dominant programs i think the state football scene will see more parity over the years.
johnnyt Wrote:well not only do the they have to be young but also go to a school that has a good football base. there are plenty of young talented coaches that will never get the wins to approach the record because they will coach at schools that dont have the set up for football to develop young players in grade school & middle school to win. on top of that if you are a powerhouse state team like trinity, highlands, st x, boyle, bell, danville, belfry or whoever that has everything set up to play for championships, they will be hesitant to hire a young coach that doesnt have much experience. when you look at the 4 current active coaches it is possible that one could hit 400 wins. that would mean that a coach would have to average 12 wins a year for 34 years to pass that mark, that is a daunting task. it is quite possible whoever of these 4 gets the mark may never get passed up. i just see the football landscape getting more competitive as we go along and while i am sure you will have some dominant programs i think the state football scene will see more parity over the years.

You also have to take into consideration will that coach leave to coach in a college atmosphere. (See Chuck Smith for example) :Thumbs:
Hatz Wrote:You also have to take into consideration will that coach leave to coach in a college atmosphere. (See Chuck Smith for example) :Thumbs:

Very good point. They don't stay around the same program for years like they used to either, let alone move up to the college level. When you switch schools you may have to endure more losses for awhile than you did at your previous school. But, some also inherit a better team and better circumstances for winning. Bottom line is this, if you stick around long enough to have that many wins at wherever it may be, you're a heck of a coach.
sure if you are at a program long enough you will a mass alot of wins, but to make it to the top you have to be a top tier football teams for 3+ decades. you cant take 5-8 years to build your program and even hope to get close to the record.
johnnyt Wrote:sure if you are at a program long enough you will a mass alot of wins, but to make it to the top you have to be a top tier football teams for 3+ decades. you cant take 5-8 years to build your program and even hope to get close to the record.

Not for sure you got the point?
if you inherit a good team and you average 12 wins a year for 33 years you can get the record, but do you think that will happen? i really doubt that. here is my point, the chance that anyone breaks the record set by haywood, glaser, harp or hilton (whoever is the highest of the 4) is about 1-2%. for the set of circumstances to occur for a coach to out pace them is too much.
johnnyt Wrote:if you inherit a good team and you average 12 wins a year for 33 years you can get the record, but do you think that will happen? i really doubt that. here is my point, the chance that anyone breaks the record set by haywood, glaser, harp or hilton (whoever is the highest of the 4) is about 1-2%. for the set of circumstances to occur for a coach to out pace them is too much.

That's what the point was. Now coaches don't stay around the same place as long. The days of seeing one coach at a school for 20 + years is over. Now, some coach might get ugly and step right back into another solid 9-10 win team. But, that doesn't happen much. These records are even harder to break now and definitely in the future. We're saying basically the same thing. That was the point to begin with.
my comment was based upon your last sentence.

"Bottom line is this, if you stick around long enough to have that many wins at wherever it may be, you're a heck of a coach."

i think being a heck of a coach still doesnt get you there. i am just stating being a good coach unfortunately not good enough to get the record. we both agree that it is next to impossible to break the record the these 4 coaches will soon set.
johnnyt Wrote:my comment was based upon your last sentence.

"Bottom line is this, if you stick around long enough to have that many wins at wherever it may be, you're a heck of a coach."

i think being a heck of a coach still doesnt get you there. i am just stating being a good coach unfortunately not good enough to get the record. we both agree that it is next to impossible to break the record the these 4 coaches will soon set.

I see. I'm just saying it doesn't matter where you're at, if you win that many games, you can coach. I'm not saying that there's not good coaches out there that doesn't have those sort of numbers. Notice the "if" and "wherever".
One season away.