Newcath v Covcath
St. Henry v Boone Co

Actual draw:

Ryle v Newport
St. Henry v Covcath

Holmes v Dixie
Newcath v Boone
My thoughts:

1. That bottom bracket is absolutely loaded. Two of the top 3 teams in the region will be out of the tournament when the finals roll around.

2. How about Holmes v Newcath/Boone Co in the semi's? What a match up. That was what a lot were predicting as the region championship.

3. For Ryle fans, they have to feel pretty good after this morning's draw. They haven't played Newport this season so it will be tough for Coach Russell to game plan against the Raiders. Mullins of Ryle also has the benefit of being able to scout Newport last night since the 36th finals were played on Saturday. Ryle could make a serious run to the finals. Being a Holmes fan, that would be sweet revenge to end the Raiders season in the finals of the region.

4. For Newcath fans, they got the short end of the stick drawing Boone Co in the first round. Breds beat the Rebels by 1 (53-52) on their home floor earlier in the year.

5. Holmes will have a chance to prove that the close game with Dixie at Dixie earlier in the year was a fluke. Last time these two met in the region, Holmes won by 28 after only beating the Colonels by 15 in the regular season.

6. Lastly, I think this could shape up to the be the best region tournament in the state, outside of the 7th region.
My Predictions:

Ryle (15-11) v Newport (26-5)
Winner: Ryle
St. Henry (14-10) v Covcath (17-12)
Winner: Covcath

Holmes (23-5) v Dixie Heights (12-15)
Winner: Holmes
Newcath (19-7) v Boone Co (18-8)
Winner: Boone Co

Semi Finals:
Ryle (16-11) v Covcath (18-12)
Holmes (24-5) v Boone Co (19-8)

Finals:
Ryle (17-11) v Holmes (25-5)

9th Region Champs:
Holmes (26-5)
Coach Henley's comments:

On first round game with Dixie:

"We beat Dixie by 3 so it's not like it's going to be a walk in the park....."

On regular and post season tournaments:
"When you really get down to it, you got 29 scrimmage games. We lost two games to snow but it's time to get down to business. We won 21 games but our schedule was a lot more difficult than we have had in the past. We lost some games that we thought we should've won, but we also won some games that we probably should've lost...... Time to lace em' up and win or go home."
Forgot to mention:

Semi Finals:
Saturday 6:00 , 8:00

Finals:
Sunday 3:00
ttt
I think the 35th will dominate the 9th region tourney as usual (except for last year, Cov. Cath. didn't make it). Holmes vs Cov. Cath. to go to Rupp for the 3rd time out 4 years.... Cov. Cath. is always a dangerous team once they are in the 9th region tourney. Coach L will have his team primed and ready to knock off St. Henry and Ryle. Here comes the 35th. Man I love NKY high school hoops.
1st round winners
Newport
St. Henry
Holmes
Newport Catholic

2nd round winners
Newport
Holmes

9th Region Champions
Newport
tezzy859 Wrote:I think the 35th will dominate the 9th region tourney as usual (except for last year, Cov. Cath. didn't make it). Holmes vs Cov. Cath. to go to Rupp for the 3rd time out 4 years.... Cov. Cath. is always a dangerous team once they are in the 9th region tourney. Coach L will have his team primed and ready to knock off St. Henry and Ryle. Here comes the 35th. Man I love NKY high school hoops.

Idk Tez.

Ryle or Newport both will be a tough match up for the Colonels if they get by St. Hank. Crusaders beat the Colonels 59-54 earlier in the season on CCH home floor. I also think Ryle is one of the 3 hottest teams in the region right now and would be out for revenge against the Colonels after losing to them by 1 earlier in the year.

Hope you're right though. As a Holmes fan, I much rather face Covcath in the finals (if Dogs make it there) than Newport or Ryle.
Laniganfan29 Wrote:1st round winners
Newport
St. Henry
Holmes
Newport Catholic

2nd round winners
Newport
Holmes

9th Region Champions
Newport

Newport is a scary team but I just don't see them being the team to knock off Holmes out of the upper bracket...especially after the drubbing they just took from Newcath.

Newport also has lacked confidence against Holmes. They play timid in the paint because of Pittman. He has dominated both games against them with double doubles and 5 blocks each game.
kywldcat01 Wrote:9th Region Draw for games at Bank of Kentucky Center on the campus of NKU:

Game 1 - Wed. at 6pm - Ryle vs. Newport
Game 2 - Wed. at 7:30pm - St. Henry vs. CovCath

Game 3 - Thu. at 6pm - Holmes vs. Dixie Heights
Game 4 - Thu. at 7:30pm - NewCath vs. Boone County

In my opinion, Holmes got about as good a draw as could be hoped for. First off, their first round opponent is a relatively easier matchup with Dixie, rather than Boone Co. or Newport.

Then, they would get the survivor of what should be an absolute battle between NewCath and Boone. Advantage, Holmes.

In the finals, I think Ryle or Newport could give them a tough game, but in the end I see Holmes moving on to Rupp.
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
kywldcat01 Wrote:My Predictions:

Ryle (15-11) v Newport (26-5)
St. Henry (14-10) v Covcath (17-12)
Winner: Covcath

Holmes (23-5) v Dixie Heights (12-15)
Newcath (19-7) v Boone Co (18-8)
Winner: Boone Co

Semi Finals:
Ryle (16-11) v Covcath (18-12)
Holmes (24-5) v Boone Co (19-8)

Finals:
Ryle (17-11) v Holmes (25-5)

9th Region Champs:
Holmes (26-5)

Agree. I see a Ryle and Holmes rematch!!

kywldcat01 Wrote:ttt

what does ttt mean lol.
NYY10 Wrote:what does ttt mean lol.

To the top...to make it an unread thread and try to generate more discussion.
More Cowbell Wrote:In my opinion, Holmes got about as good a draw as could be hoped for. First off, their first round opponent is a relatively easier matchup with Dixie, rather than Boone Co. or Newport.

Then, they would get the survivor of what should be an absolute battle between NewCath and Boone. Advantage, Holmes.

In the finals, I think Ryle or Newport could give them a tough game, but in the end I see Holmes moving on to Rupp.

I understand where you're coming from and hope you're right, but at the same time, it's like Coach Henley said:

"We only beat Dixie by 3...it's not going to be a walk in the park."

I personally don't see that being an easy game for the Dogs because of Dixie's physical style of play. In a rematch with Boone and Newcath, like Dixie, those teams will have added motivation and confidence because they played Holmes so close during the regular season. They believe they can play with and Beat Holmes. Many times the biggest obstacle isn't physical, but rather mental. That's why hard work beats out talent any day.

On the flip side, Holmes should come in more focused against those three because of the simple fact that they were pushed to the limits by all three. Another advantage for Holmes is Coach Henley. Look at the results over the years and you'll find out that teams who played Holmes close or beat them during the regular season don't fare too well against them in a post season rematch when it matters. Holmes' coaching staff is great at making adjustments.

Should be fun to see how this tournament plays out with all the great match ups.
More Cowbell Wrote:In my opinion, Holmes got about as good a draw as could be hoped for.

I agree.

The game for all the marbles in the 9th will be between Holmes and NewCath in Round 2. That'll be a slugfest. NewCath is a very dangerous team. Having said that, NewCath got the worst draw possible ... playing the #2 ranked team in the region in the first round and, if they win, the #1 ranked team in the region in the second round. If you're a Holmes fan, your No. 1 fear is that the Bulldogs have a real bad shooting night where nothing falls, like they did against Ryle.

I don't see anyone in the other bracket beating the NewCath-Holmes winner.

As an aside, Christian County certainly will be pulling for NewCath to upset Holmes.
Calpreps.com predictions:

Newport 56 Ryle 53
Covcath 61 St. Henry 51

Holmes 62 Dixie Heights 42
Boone Co 59 Newcath 58

Semi Finals:
Newport 61 Covcath 54
Holmes 58 Boone Co 51

Finals:
Holmes 59 Newport 52
jalfzou Wrote:I agree.

The game for all the marbles in the 9th will be between Holmes and NewCath in Round 2. That'll be a slugfest. NewCath is a very dangerous team. Having said that, NewCath got the worst draw possible ... playing the #2 ranked team in the region in the first round and, if they win, the #1 ranked team in the region in the second round. If you're a Holmes fan, your No. 1 fear is that the Bulldogs have a real bad shooting night where nothing falls, like they did against Ryle.

I don't see anyone in the other bracket beating the NewCath-Holmes winner.

As an aside, Christian County certainly will be pulling for NewCath to upset Holmes.
Holmes v Ryle...I don't think it was so much a bad shooting night as it was the Dogs just didn't have their heart and soul into the game. Yeah, they missed alot of shots, but they were very unenthusiatic....like they had somewhere else to be.

But it's tournament time, and the Dogs always turn up the heat. They know a loss is a take off your shoes and pack your bag, you're outta here.

The Dogs will bring their potential and talent to every game!
At tournament time, the Bulldogs always show up to play. The Dawgs will dominate the 9th region tour. this year!!!:flame:

:1:
I'll be blogging the entire 9th region tournament both on here and nkysports.com for those who can't make it out to the games.
Dawg 81 Wrote:At tournament time, the Bulldogs always show up to play. The Dawgs will dominate the 9th region tour. this year!!!:flame:

:1:

agreed
More Cowbell Wrote:In my opinion, Holmes got about as good a draw as could be hoped for. First off, their first round opponent is a relatively easier matchup with Dixie, rather than Boone Co. or Newport.

I agree! I think that Ryle can make it to the finals but will be so tired that it will be hard to see an upset happening.

I agree! I think that Ryle can make it to the finals but will be so tired that it will be hard to see an upset happening.

Could one of the mods delete one of my duplicate posts. Thanks!