Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Newcath 53 Boone Co 52
Final.

I tried telling people that Boone wasn't as good as last year and I think this game just goes to prove it, even though it's only a 1 point win for the Breds.

The 9th is going to be fun this year.
Grats New Cath.
Can't believe this one. Congrats to Newcath!
Good call KYW, but it does not shock me about NCC taking this game. Without looking up the stats, I'd say that Geisler's size was probably the factor here?
Stardust Wrote:Good call KYW, but it does not shock me about NCC taking this game. Without looking up the stats, I'd say that Geisler's size was probably the factor here?

Geisler had a good game, but this was the Mike Gabbard/Grant Pangallo show.

Pangallo finished with 24 points while Gabbard finished with 20 or 22.
^ Thx
Box Score:

Newport Central Catholic (2-0) - Giesler 7 2 16, Schmidt 2 2 8, Pangallo 8 1 23, Meyer 2 0 4, Hightchew 1 0 2. Totals: 20 5 53.

Boone County (3-1) - Cotton 2 0 4, Gabbard 8 3 20, Earls 3 0 6, Montgomery 4 0 8, Lay 3 0 6, Schulze 2 0 4, Popp 1 2 4. Totals: 23 5 52.

NewCath 13 12 18 10 -53
Boone County 20 10 8 14 -52

3-pointers: NCC 8 (Pangallo 6, Schmidt 2); BC 1 (Gabbard).
During a deadball late in Tuesday night's game at Boone County, Newport Central Catholic basketball coach Grant Brannen called point guard Grant Pangallo to the sideline.

http://preps.cincinnati.com/nky.aspx

"Get a breather real quick," Brannen said.

He didn't take Pangallo out. He just wanted to remind the 5-foot-6 sparkplug to take some deep breaths in preparation for the stretch run.

Pangallo, who played every minute of the game, responded by hitting his sixth and final 3-pointer of the night and knocking down the go-ahead free throw in the Thoroughbreds' 53-52 upset of Boone County.

"For us, it all starts with Grant," Brannen said. "Because he can create."

The Rebels, ranked second in the Enquirer Northern Kentucky coaches' poll, tied the game 52-52 on a Mike Gabbard layup with 1:39 remaining. After Pangallo made the front end of a one-and-one, the teams traded misses down the stretch.

NewCath missed the front end of two one-and-one opportunities. Boone County missed a putback. Finally, Travis Montgomery's baseline shot at the buzzer bounced off the rim and NewCath had a rare early-season upset.

"We don't usually have our football players back this early, so we'll struggle a little bit," said Pangallo, who led all scorers with 22 points. "This just puts us up on another level. It gives us so much confidence."

Early on, it appeared the Rebels would run away. They led by 11 points in the first quarter. After sixth-ranked NewCath rallied to tie the score early in the second quarter, the Rebels' press led to a 10-0 run, including a steal and dunk from Ronald Cotton.

"I thought as long as we could hang around until halftime, we'd give ourselves a shot," Brannen said. "Against a team as talented as them, sometimes you have to focus on hanging around. We were able to do that, and we knew the first few minutes of the third quarter were going to be huge."

NewCath, which cut the halftime lead to 30-25, got most of its third-quarter offense from Pangallo. He scored 11 points in the frame and hit three 3-pointers.

"He got hot and he took over the game," said Boone County coach Greg McQueary. "In the third quarter he was beating us by himself and we didn't have an answer for him."

Senior guard Mike Gabbard led Boone County with 20 points. After he scored 12 points in the first quarter, NewCath put senior guard Derek Schmidt on Gabbard.

"Grant carried us tonight, obviously," Brannen said. "But our MVP was Derek Schmidt. He got it done on the defensive end."

The game gave NewCath its first 2-0 start since 2004.
Close one congrats NewCath.