Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Simon Kenton star is focused
http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll...911090342/

Simon Kenton senior running back Miles Simpson entered the 2009 season as one of the most watched players in the state. Last season he led the Pioneers to a Class 6A state runner-up finish. During the offseason, the Division I offers started piling up. By the time the season started he already was on a short list of players being considered for Kentucky's Mr. Football award.

an early season Simpson was slowed by an ankle injury. Through the first four games teams held him to 98 rushing yards a game and nine touchdowns. In the seven games since, it'd be difficult to find a more productive player in the state. During the stretch he's averaging 229 rushing yards a game and has scored 28 touchdowns.

Simpson recently answered some questions from Enquirer reporter Ryan Ernst.

Question: You guys recently wrapped up Simon Kenton's first district title and hosted the first playoff game in program history, which you won. What do those things mean to you and the program?

Answer: It's great. I don't really know the history of the program. Coach (Jeff) Marksberry likes to talk about it, so I have to take his word. But it's nice to get to play a home playoff game. Now we get another one. We just need to keep our heads on straight.

Q: You get a lot of the attention, but your junior quarterback Chad Lawrence has turned into a big offensive threat. What's it like having him in the backfield with you?

A: Chad's tremendous. If the defense keys on me, he can hurt them just as much as I can. I might be a little bit faster than him, but I think he's going to catch up to me next year. He's got some moves and he makes people miss just as much as I do.

Q: Where do you stand in the recruiting process?

A: I've visited a few games - Kentucky and Louisville. I like to go see their systems and how they run things. ... I'm just focused on getting back downstate.

Q: You have offers from Central Michigan, UC, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Louisville, Purdue, Troy and Western Kentucky. Have you narrowed the list at all?

A: No. Everybody's still in play.

Q: You and (Simon Kenton offensive lineman) Jordan Hansel discussed attending the same school. After he committed to Ball State last week, is that no longer in the cards?

A: It's kind of stressful. I really wished I could have gone to the same school as him, but it's time to move on. And really, he just wants me to go where I'm going to be happy. It'll be kind of tough, because we have a really good bond. Q: Do you listen to any of the Mr. Football talk?

A: No. I get my weekly updates from some of my teammates. They'll say this or that. But I don't care about getting a trophy, except for the state championship one
Nice. He does seem very focused.
Great young man from a great family. They keep him grounded.
hop24 Wrote:Great young man from a great family. They keep him grounded.

They most certainly do:Thumbs: