Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shelby Valley 35, Pike Central 13
Hondo Wrote:I actually think that the intent was to kick a field goal. This was not a fake, it was a case of a bad snap. They have experienced trouble getting that snap right. If this had been a fake then someone besides our normal kicker would have been in there to kick (such as BJ Roberts, who did the kicking last year). We had our "soccer player" kicker in there, who actually can hit that field goal if the snap is right and he has decent coverage.

I wasn't sure if it was a fake or not, but either way I disagree with the decision. I know you say the kicker could have hit it, but a 35 yard FG is still a low-percentage play for most high schools around here. The question is, which would have had a better chance of success, nailing a 35 yard FG, or picking up the first by gaining 3 yards on the ground? I say the latter had a MUCH better chance of succeeding, not to mention FAR less risk involved.

Still, a win is a win, so SV fans can't complain too much I guess.
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
PCC-HAWKS-FAN Wrote:What? The linebackers are weak for PCC? If you didnt notice 1 of the linebackers DEBOARD got a good 15 or 20 tackles.... Heard that name all night tackling. Pick up your heads HAWKS and work on that offense before the next game. Great game even if you did take the loss..... GOOOOOOOO HAWKSSSSSSSSS!!!!! GET READY FOR THE NEXT ONE GUYS

PC has LBs that have never played the linebacker position. Now if you have never played the LB position in ur career, you as a player have a lot to learn...LB position is the hardest position to play on D-FENSE...PC has chose to play kids that have not been playing that position in the last 2 yrs. that I know of...Deboard is one kid I wasn't talking about...It takes 2-3 years to learn the position just the basics than its a hole nother story acctually going out there and doing ur job...Unless your very talented and can see the field and be physically tough.....FORGETABOUTIT.....
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC/]
More Cowbell Wrote:I wasn't sure if it was a fake or not, but either way I disagree with the decision. I know you say the kicker could have hit it, but a 35 yard FG is still a low-percentage play for most high schools around here. The question is, which would have had a better chance of success, nailing a 35 yard FG, or picking up the first by gaining 3 yards on the ground? I say the latter had a MUCH better chance of succeeding, not to mention FAR less risk involved.

Still, a win is a win, so SV fans can't complain too much I guess.

I'm not upholding the play call, because like you said, this is a low % play in high school football, but the possible reasoning was that SV has the potential to being a decent kicking (PAT, Field Goal) team, and we know in hind sight that it was too early, but Valley had a 2 td lead and were dominating the field the first sequence of the 2nd half, possibly the coaching staff just wanted to establish that kicking game potential and get our new kicker's "feet wet" so to speak; nonetheless, it was too early to experiment, even with a lead of that size that early in the second half.

I agree with you, valley should have went for it on 4th down; but if the field goal attempt had of been good, I guess the Coach would have looked like a genius, up 3 scores (17 points) with a qtr and a half to go.
5timechamp Wrote:Roberts needs to have the ball a lot!

ROFL if anyone needs the ball alot this season its gonna be Hughes, Roberts had 2 big plays 1 was a 30+ yard TD run maybe, and i think the defence was playing tag with him. He also had a catch.
Hondo Wrote:I'm not upholding the play call, because like you said, this is a low % play in high school football, but the possible reasoning was that SV has the potential to being a decent kicking (PAT, Field Goal) team, and we know in hind sight that it was too early, but Valley had a 2 td lead and were dominating the field the first sequence of the 2nd half, possibly the coaching staff just wanted to establish that kicking game potential and get our new kicker's "feet wet" so to speak; nonetheless, it was too early to experiment, even with a lead of that size that early in the second half.

I agree with you, valley should have went for it on 4th down; but if the field goal attempt had of been good, I guess the Coach would have looked like a genius, up 3 scores (17 points) with a qtr and a half to go.

I figured that was the reasoning behind the FG attempt, if it was indeed legit. A 3 score lead would've been pretty much the ballgame. And if the game was already in the bag, then it would've been a good time to work on your kicking game. But like you said, simply too early to try it.
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
As the old saying goes a win is a win, I think both teams willl be much improved by the 3rd or 4th week. Congrats SV, but I wonder why try to kick the field goal when 2 of your extra point attempts go wrong? Kickers was a little slow to the ball, but this always gets better with time and reps!
Onelittlepig Wrote:ROFL if anyone needs the ball alot this season its gonna be Hughes, Roberts had 2 big plays 1 was a 30+ yard TD run maybe, and i think the defence was playing tag with him. He also had a catch.

Yea and roberts also didnt get the ball half as much as hughes did saturday night. The only reason hughes had as big of a game as he did was because he had TANNER TACKETT, AND BJ ROBERTS infront of him blocking their hearts out for him. So instead of talking about how one player needs the ball alot, how about you check and see how he got all the yards he did get!!
winner Wrote:Yea and roberts also didnt get the ball half as much as hughes did saturday night. The only reason hughes had as big of a game as he did was because he had TANNER TACKETT, AND BJ ROBERTS infront of him blocking their hearts out for him. So instead of talking about how one player needs the ball alot, how about you check and see how he got all the yards he did get!!

I agree 100% with Winner. I watched the game the other night and the ran the same play over and over to hughes, and they way hughes got all of his yards was not because of the O-line, it was because he had Tanner Tackett and BJ roberts infront of him blowing the whole up every single play so he could get the yards he got, if you dont belive me, then watch the game. If you asks me i thought it was selfish of the SV coaching staff not to give the ball to Tanner or BJ, because they forsure Earned it. And another thing, ive watched them in scrimmages, Tanner Tackett, BJ roberts, and Dillon Hughes all 3 are basically equally good on offense, And on Defense, Tanner and BJ are Far better that i can see. But dont get me wrong, Hughes is a great player, but not at the same level as tanner and bj!
I probably should not comment in this discussion, but I am going to any way. These young men have the opportunity to do GREAT things this year... but it is going to take the entire team to do this!! You seniors deserve to win every game, don't be draggin each other down. Pull together and go for the gusto. As a team you can win, but as a group of me's, it will hurt you not only this season but when you look back later down the road. Trust me on this guys!!!
CoachB Wrote:I probably should not comment in this discussion, but I am going to any way. These young men have the opportunity to do GREAT things this year... but it is going to take the entire team to do this!! You seniors deserve to win every game, don't be draggin each other down. Pull together and go for the gusto. As a team you can win, but as a group of me's, it will hurt you not only this season but when you look back later down the road. Trust me on this guys!!!

Well said coach B.
3Altor5 Wrote:I agree 100% with Winner. I watched the game the other night and the ran the same play over and over to hughes, and they way hughes got all of his yards was not because of the O-line, it was because he had Tanner Tackett and BJ roberts infront of him blowing the whole up every single play so he could get the yards he got, if you dont belive me, then watch the game. If you asks me i thought it was selfish of the SV coaching staff not to give the ball to Tanner or BJ, because they forsure Earned it. And another thing, ive watched them in scrimmages, Tanner Tackett, BJ roberts, and Dillon Hughes all 3 are basically equally good on offense, And on Defense, Tanner and BJ are Far better that i can see. But dont get me wrong, Hughes is a great player, but not at the same level as tanner and bj!

I actually think winner and 3Altor5 are both Shelby Valley players and one I think is a very key player. And I am going to say this, What you guys need to do is quit calling your coaching staff selfish and quit comparing and critising other players on your team. Winner if this is still who I'm thinking it is not a good way to show your leadership. I learned this from my days as a blocker you block and do your job to make the other guy look good. If he looks good you look good. Dont call your staff selfish. They may have earned some more carries and that is fine but obviously what the coach was doing was working so do your job and quit looking for the praise. The praise comes when you see a opposing player laying flat on his rear end from a block you made, and you look up and your boy is in the endzone celebrating and your running to do the same.
winner Wrote:Yea and roberts also didnt get the ball half as much as hughes did saturday night. The only reason hughes had as big of a game as he did was because he had TANNER TACKETT, AND BJ ROBERTS infront of him blocking their hearts out for him. So instead of talking about how one player needs the ball alot, how about you check and see how he got all the yards he did get!!

Hey, since when is a football team about individual stats.

Your name is "winner", if Shelby Valley is going to "win" this year they will need Hughes, Roberts, and Tackett to consistently block for each other and run the ball. There will be games that Roberts will lead valley in rushing, Tackett will lead them, as well as Hughes. After the very first game is not the time to start this type of crap. Adults start this and then the kids pick up on it, and then before long good friends on a team start becoming enemies on the field because "he got more touches then me.." or "he had more yards then me.." and then before long they stop blocking for each other as strongly and the team starts to loss.
pillsburythrowboy Wrote:I actually think winner and 3Altor5 are both Shelby Valley players and one I think is a very key player. And I am going to say this, What you guys need to do is quit calling your coaching staff selfish and quit comparing and critising other players on your team. Winner if this is still who I'm thinking it is not a good way to show your leadership. I learned this from my days as a blocker you block and do your job to make the other guy look good. If he looks good you look good. Dont call your staff selfish. They may have earned some more carries and that is fine but obviously what the coach was doing was working so do your job and quit looking for the praise. The praise comes when you see a opposing player laying flat on his rear end from a block you made, and you look up and your boy is in the endzone celebrating and your running to do the same.

Ok what u guys are saying is 100% right. But i think you misunderstud me just a little bit and my message did soud selfish. But the point i was trying to make after someone saying i shouldnt get the ball was, With 3 unstopable running backs in the back field u should spread out the carrys that way the Defense would never know where its coming and whos going to have the ball. Im not trying to take ne credit from dillon im sorry if thats what it sounded like he had an amazing game and he deserved the MVP but when we play a good team and they get the tape of dillon running it every play hes going to be shut down. If i was as selfish as i made my self look in the previous message (which was not ment) I would like this cause that means the next game i would be getting the ball every time cause they would be keying on dillon but im not. If all 3 runnning backs got the ball even times, that would be three runnning backs a defence would have to stop instead of 1 and which one is harder to stop?
Leave the message boards for us has beens.Play football and start reading and posting again when basketball starts. Seriously.
The most important stat of the game from week 1 for SV The team earned a W. Guys don't let jealousy put a damper on what can be a very special season!!!
winner Wrote:Ok what u guys are saying is 100% right. But i think you misunderstud me just a little bit and my message did soud selfish. But the point i was trying to make after someone saying i shouldnt get the ball was, With 3 unstopable running backs in the back field u should spread out the carrys that way the Defense would never know where its coming and whos going to have the ball. Im not trying to take ne credit from dillon im sorry if thats what it sounded like he had an amazing game and he deserved the MVP but when we play a good team and they get the tape of dillon running it every play hes going to be shut down. If i was as selfish as i made my self look in the previous message (which was not ment) I would like this cause that means the next game i would be getting the ball every time cause they would be keying on dillon but im not. If all 3 runnning backs got the ball even times, that would be three runnning backs a defence would have to stop instead of 1 and which one is harder to stop?

lol yeah you made your self sound selfish.... why take something away from the hughes kid, i seen 1 unstoppable running back and it was him, no matter what your coach calls, you LISTEN and dont talk back or cry on the internet to the public... u'll get your chance but not with that attitude
pike central looked young but valleys o-line looked lost i have to agree the backs have to block or it will be problems
winner Wrote:Ok what u guys are saying is 100% right. But i think you misunderstud me just a little bit and my message did soud selfish. But the point i was trying to make after someone saying i shouldnt get the ball was, With 3 unstopable running backs in the back field u should spread out the carrys that way the Defense would never know where its coming and whos going to have the ball. Im not trying to take ne credit from dillon im sorry if thats what it sounded like he had an amazing game and he deserved the MVP but when we play a good team and they get the tape of dillon running it every play hes going to be shut down. If i was as selfish as i made my self look in the previous message (which was not ment) I would like this cause that means the next game i would be getting the ball every time cause they would be keying on dillon but im not. If all 3 runnning backs got the ball even times, that would be three runnning backs a defence would have to stop instead of 1 and which one is harder to stop?

Yes, but if its working great then you don't change it. Maybe you are are the better blockers of the bunch. All Im saying is you all got a chance to do something special and from what seems like a fine coach. Dont spoil the chance with the jealousy. If your coach says block every play then block every play. The glory comes in the end. And do me a favor beat P-burg!
I have one thing to say and that is SV HAS A CHANCE TO HAVE A GREAT SEASON.tHE PEOPLE THAT KNOWS NOTHING ABOUT PLAYING AND BEING GOOD AT IT ARE USUALLY THE ONE THAT POSTS STUPID THINGS.SV IS VERY GIFTED IN MANY AREAS.Let the coach coach and the fans and parents enjoy watching their KIDS play.None of these kids will play in the NFL.Good luck this year TEAM and enjoy the season.
pillsburythrowboy Wrote:Yes, but if its working great then you don't change it. Maybe you are are the better blockers of the bunch. All Im saying is you all got a chance to do something special and from what seems like a fine coach. Dont spoil the chance with the jealousy. If your coach says block every play then block every play. The glory comes in the end. And do me a favor beat P-burg!

HAHA I dont care if dillon gets the ball every single play WE WILL BEAT P-BURG and i will make u that promise:Clap:
winner Wrote:HAHA I dont care if dillon gets the ball every single play WE WILL BEAT P-BURG and i will make u that promise:Clap:

What makes you so confident?You lost the core of your team last year and you can promise to beat P-burg? I don't see it.
Jersey Player Games
Played Rush
Attempts Net
Yards
Rushing Touchdowns
Scored
Rushing
10 Dillon Hughes 1 24 218 1
19 Bj Roberts 1 15 101 1
15 Cody Varney 1 16 76 1
35 Tanner Tackett 1 6 20 0

this comes straight from the khsaa website.... seeing as how u all say that hughes had tons more carries than roberts I only count that he had 9 more carries. To gain 117 more yards on just 9 more carries would be a stretch for roberts.. hes a good player but hughes played better that night, that in no way mean that roberts might not rush for 500 yards one game if hes on that games. The point is I can guarantee you that if Fugate has a great game that Haddix doesnt get on here and bash him or if Thomas Varney has a good game at belfry that his back up wont get on here and bash him. This is immaturity at its best everyone should congradulate Hughes on an excellent game player parents and everyone. Saturday was his night to shine maybe next weeks will be Roberts or Tacketts.. If parents and players are bashing each other this early might be a tough road ahead for valley
I dont see anyone being selfish, for one im for sure not being selfish lol. I dislocated my elbow the first quarter and i even told the coach i didnt want the ball. But all i think they are saying is that we strived as hard as we could blowing up the hole every play and giving hughes his yards. Dillon hughes Deserved Pike County bowl of the week by a long call. he had an exceptional game and i hope he always plays like that. But my elbow is fine so lets see what i can do now haha :p. And for the record. P-burg is going down!!!! haha
It's really nice to see Valley finally has their heads where they should be.
You guys need to worry about playing footbal and leave all of this behind you.
look here all you ****ers, i should have got the ball more this game and thats the facts.
i should of lead the team in carries and yards.