Poll: Did he cheat
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
0%
No
100.00%
* You voted for this item.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Did Arroyo Cheat?
Cards accuse Arroyo of cheating
• • Print • ShareThis • Type: A A • Click-2-Listen

The Reds had their very own pine tar incident on Thursday.

It involved pitcher Bronson Arroyo, and while it probably won’t be remembered like the 1983 incident involving George Brett and his baseball bat, it perked up a slow morning in the Reds clubhouse.

The St. Louis Post-Dispatch reported on Thursday that Cardinals pitching coach Dave Duncan had accused Arroyo of using pine tar to help grip the baseball Wednesday night.

“I’m sure he had pine tar on his cap,” Duncan was quoted as saying. “He didn’t have any problem getting a grip. Balls like that can generate a lot more movement than a slick ball that hasn’t been rubbed up.”

That was the complaint from St. Louis starter John Smoltz, who walked five hitters Wednesday night. Before that, Smoltz had walked three batters in 34 innings with the Cardinals. Smoltz said the balls were not rubbed properly.

That led to Duncan’s accusation about Arroyo, who won his 15th game Wednesday after allowing one run on four hits.

Clubhouse attendants rub mud on the baseballs before each game to make them easier to grip.

A Dispatch blog on Thursday reported that Cardinals manager Tony La Russa believed the balls used Wednesdsay night had been tampered with.

According to the Dispatch, La Russa told the unidentified attendant, “I knew they were up to shenanigans. I appreciate you saying that.”

Thursday morning, Arroyo seemed bemused by the incident.

“I guarantee when I pitch against the Cardinals next year, I’ll call over and tell Dave Duncan I’m wearing a brand new hat,” Arroyo said.

Arroyo said he’s been wearing the same cap all season, and as a result it’s stained on the bill.

“That’s what happens. It’s from playing in every other park where there’s so much mud on the balls that that black stuff comes off on your fingers every time.

“I guess he said I went to my hat time after time. Yeah, I do 8,000 other twitches. What do you want me to do about it? That’s how I pitch.”

After the game, Arroyo took a stronger tone.

“I was using the balls from the same bag as Smoltz,” Arroyo said. “They rub the balls up anyway they want the next time we go to St. Louis. I guarantee I won’t walk five guys.”

Reds pitching coach **** Pole also strongly challenged the Cardinals’ claims.

“That must have meant (Dennys) Reyes, (Josh) Kinney and (Brad) Thompson were using pine tar, too. They didn’t have any trouble throwing the ball over the plate,” he said.

Reyes, Kinney and Thompson pitched the final four innings for the Cardinals.

Reyes walked one, the other walked none.

Arroyo said he’s dealt with balls that were hard to grip, particularly at Yankee Stadium in October.

“That’s just the way it is,” he said. “You find a way to pitch ... I don’t know I thought I had the day off.”

In an Associated Press story, Reds manager Dusty Baker said the Cardinals know plenty about doctored caps.

“If anybody should know, it would be Duncan,” Baker said. “I remember they had Julian Tavarez over there. They threw his hat out, remember that? His hat was all messed up. It’s not like it’s something new.”

Tavarez was suspended for eight days by Major League Baseball in 2004 for applying a foreign substance to balls during a game against Pittsburgh that Aug. 24.
http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll...ofile=1071

There appears to be something under Bronson Arroyo's bill in this photo taken from Wednesday night. Arroyo's explanation, "It’s from playing in every other park where there’s so much mud on the balls that that black stuff comes off on young fingers every time.
When you play for the reds you have to do whatever it takes to win with the exception of April and September when they're unbeatable every year.
I see what hes saying, when it is dusty and ,muddy, your cap does become dirty like this
Or when you rub pine tar under your bill, a blackish/brown sticky, grippy substance get's on it..I mean, hey..it happens to the best of usSmile
Total joke. No other pitcher that participated in the game for St. Louis complained about not being able to grip the ball. It's crazy.
If you're not cheating..............Then you're not trying hard enough
Then again the pitchers who followed Smoltz didn't have a problem. Maybe the problem is with Smoltz