Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Middlesboro 2009
MiddlesboroAlumni Wrote:Only win 2 games???? You have got to be kidding me!

Middlesboro returns plenty of talent and athleticism as I already mentioned. How can you be so certain that Lee County VA, LCC, and South Laurel will be losses??

I guess it could have to do with your username. :biggrin:

They will beat Leslie, Knott and South for sure but I don't know about the rest they look pretty hard to me also.
Amped 88 Wrote:They will beat Leslie, Knott and South for sure but I don't know about the rest they look pretty hard to me also.

Well, yeah it's a tough schedule and yes, the Yellow Jackets will miss Hunter Adams. But, you guys act like Middlesboro won't even win a game.

If you don't know who Matt Powers is, then you will after this season is over. The kid is a flat out athlete and has a knack for catching the football.

Chase Roark was only a freshmen last season and will only get better at Quarterback. He only had 14 touchdowns last year, but also only had 8 interceptions. He has a pretty nice arm on him and if he can stay healthy, he has three more years to be the leader of this team. I really think next year is the time that Chase needs to assert himself as the top guy. Him being only a sophomore it will be difficult. But, I think it is time and I'm sure the Middlesboro faithful back at home would agree.

I'm really interested to see how Coach Roark handles the running back situation. Back home, word is that everything is kind of working it's way out this summer and the decision for the starter is looking more clear. I'm excited to hear it.

It should be an exciting year of football and I hope to make it back home for a couple of games.
Middlesboro will be tough again this upcoming season. Like M'boroAlum said above Roark will be even more experienced entering this season. Foister should do very well in the backfield, not a Hunter Adams type season, but will still be a big enough threat to keep the defenses honest. Matt Powers should have another big year at receiver. The Yellow Jackets took a big hit on defense with the graduation of Pittman & Adams but I still think the defense will be good enough to give them a chance versus Corbin.

I expect the Yellow Jackets to be a 2 seed behind Corbin yet again.

Best of luck to M'boro this season!
Yogibear Wrote:I am betting that this turns into a bash Kenny Roark fest. I see that all the time on other sites and hear it from people down that way. But I always like to point out a simple mathematical equation to those people. Middlesboro before Roark=0 state titles. Middlesboro with Roark=1 state title. I know there are lots of negatives people can post on here about him, but that fact remains.

Roark is a good football coach and has done a heck of a job at Middlesboro.
He won a state title and those few years he was in a district with Breathitt, I don't think Breathitt ever beat him.
MiddlesboroAlumni Wrote:As far as I know, the quarterback situation is up in the air and is between underclassmen, Chase Roark and Deshawn Harris. Personally, I would go with Deshawn Harris from what I have seen and ultimately I think he will be the starter.

You really think Roark won't be the quarterback?
palmer Wrote:You really think Roark won't be the quarterback?

That post was before I was updated from back at home. I sadly didn't get to watch any Middlesboro games last season. I usually make a trip down once a year, but I didn't get around to it last season. Like I said earlier, I hope to make it down for a couple of games this year.

You kids have got to keep me updated better. :biggrin:
BlackcatAlum Wrote:The Yellow Jackets took a big hit on defense with the graduation of Pittman & Adams but I still think the defense will be good enough to give them a chance versus Corbin.

I agree.

Corbin will be a tough one and I don't expect for my Yellowjackets to come away with a victory there. I can't see anyone who will stop Caleb Watkins consistently.

Glad to see some good discussion here in this thread. :Thumbs:
P.C.Defense Wrote:Roark is a good football coach and has done a heck of a job at Middlesboro.
He won a state title and those few years he was in a district with Breathitt, I don't think Breathitt ever beat him.

If Middlesboro had a REAL COACH they would had won more than just the 98 Championship. Middlesboro was loaded for years in talent and Roark could do nothing with it. Each year goes past Middlesboro's program is dropping off FAST!!!
BellCoBobcats09 Wrote:If Middlesboro had a REAL COACH they would had won more than just the 98 Championship. Middlesboro was loaded for years in talent and Roark could do nothing with it. Each year goes past Middlesboro's program is dropping off FAST!!!

Coach Roark is a fine coach. It's hard to beat Dudley Hilton when it comes to coaches, be glad you have him. I might not have always agreed with some of the decisions Coach Kenny Roark has made in the past, but his run as Middlesboro head coach isn't as blemished as you and other Bell County fans make it out to be.

Also, I wouldn't say Middlesboro has been "loaded with talent" since that 1998 season. As a matter of fact, that '98 team was one of the better teams I've had the privilege to watch in recent memory. But now, back to your statement of Middlesboro being full of talent. Let's look at the Middlesboro teams from the last three years. Are you telling me you call those teams "stacked"?? :please:

You also said that Middlesboro's program is dropping fast. I would like you to explain that to me. Last year's record of 8-4 and 2nd seed in the district playoffs wasn't something to ashamed of. To get back on topic of the thread about how Middlesboro will do next season, just because the Yellowjackets lost Hunter Adams doesn't mean that it's the end of the world. Middlesboro will do just fine and probably have a similar season than last year.

Middlesboro may be "the other team" in Bell County, but that doesn't mean they should be overlooked as you claim they should. :eyeroll:
dont forget about pineville this year too.they have looked real good in7 on 7 passing drills at union .middlesb should have a lot of speed with donnie grisby helping out he is outstanding helped my son out a lot over the summer.
How will Middlesboro's line stack up. They will have a shot at beating Corbin if they can control the line of scrimmage and hold onto the football. Roark is a much better coach than most on here give him credit for, although their defensive play calling gambles a little much in my opinion.
SEKYFAN Wrote:How will Middlesboro's line stack up. They will have a shot at beating Corbin if they can control the line of scrimmage and hold onto the football. Roark is a much better coach than most on here give him credit for, although their defensive play calling gambles a little much in my opinion.

Middlesboro's line will still be fine in '09 and should let young Chase Roark get a better feel for the quarterback position in his sophomore season.

I don't think Middlesboro can beat Corbin. They may have a small shot, but I don't see anyone who is going to stop Caleb Watkins. Watkins is going to be too much for the Middlesboro defense. Once Watkins pounds the ball drive after drive, Middlesboro will be on their toes and play action will really hurt the Jackets as it did much last season. Controlling the line of scrimmage will be key and Corbin should have the advantage there as well.

I'm glad someone feels the same way I do about Coach Kenny Roark. I agree with you about the defensive plays as well. I didn't get to watch the Jackets last season, but my ole buddies from back home continued to question Roark's gambles on defense. That is just the way he has always been though. I've known him for much of my life and that is just the way he does things. He knows football though (as Bell County fans would disagree :eyerollSmile. Many continue to say that Coach Roark can't win games consistenly without Hunter Adams and I think he will prove those doubters wrong in '09.
I tell you what if Middlesboro wins more than 4 games this year I will get on here and apologize to every Middlesboro fan possible. I really do think that Hunter made Middlesboro last year. Dont forget the Clay Co game where Middlesboro was down by like 4 points with 20 sec left in the game and Hunter took a kickoff and returned it for a TD and won the game. Yes Roark to Matt Powers is about all you will hear this year but be serious have you seen there schedule. 5 teams on that schedule either played for a Regional Championship or farther last year. Corbin, Green Co, Frankfort, Johnson Co Central, and Letcher Co Central.
Middlesboro has been pretty average, or below average, in middle school football the last three or four years. It will probably catch up with them on the high school level soon.
BellCoBobcats09 Wrote:I tell you what if Middlesboro wins more than 4 games this year I will get on here and apologize to every Middlesboro fan possible. I really do think that Hunter made Middlesboro last year. Dont forget the Clay Co game where Middlesboro was down by like 4 points with 20 sec left in the game and Hunter took a kickoff and returned it for a TD and won the game. Yes Roark to Matt Powers is about all you will hear this year but be serious have you seen there schedule. 5 teams on that schedule either played for a Regional Championship or farther last year. Corbin, Green Co, Frankfort, Johnson Co Central, and Letcher Co Central.

Well my friend, you should be getting some good apologies ready. I agree with you on one thing, the schedule is tough, very tough. Let's look at it again with my predictions..

Aug 21, 09 Green County at Bell/Middlesboro - W
Aug 28, 09 Letcher County Central away - L
Sep 4, 09 Knox Central home - W
Sep 11, 09 Lee County, VA away - W
Sep 18, 09 Johnson Central - L
Sep 25, 09 Frankfort home - L
Oct 9, 09 Leslie County away - W
Oct 16, 09 Knott County Central home - W
Oct 23, 09 Corbin away - L
Oct 30, 09 South Laurel home - W

Very tough schedule, but Middlesboro can very possibly win 6 games. I'll say 5 at the very least. I say Middlesboro wins the Green County game in opener. Green County lost a lot from last season including their starting quarterback and top rusher. How can you say that Green County, Lee County, Knox Central, and South Laurel will be losses so easily? Middlesboro may not be the most talented team and may be even less taletented than last season, but you have to understand what these other teams have lost too. I may eat my owns word here, but Middlesboro will not win under 5 games. Young Chase will get better at quarterback, especially with one of the top receivers in the Mountains in Matt Powers. Roark has done well this summer throwing the ball in camps and practices from what I have heard back home.

I agree with BA on his prediction. I'll say a 6-4 record with a second seed in the distrcit playoffs once again.
The information you are getting from back home is coming from daddy roark and he is full of ....... Middlesboro Football will struggle. The Tradition will die if someone does not make a change.
yellowdog58 Wrote:The information you are getting from back home is coming from daddy roark and he is full of ....... Middlesboro Football will struggle. The Tradition will die if someone does not make a change.

My information came from some longtime friends that I grew up with that still live in Middlesboro and follow the football program. So no, it didn't come from "Daddy Roark". :eyeroll: Are you saying that you or anyone else could do a better job on the sidelines? I really think that is why you and I aren't coaching and Coach Kenny is. Coach Kenny knows football, I played with him in my day at Middlesboro. He went on to play and start for three years at the University of Kentucky at the center position. Did you or I do that? Didn't think so.

The talent Middlesboro has is some decent talent, which means you are going to win a decent amount of games with just about any coach. I mean, what do you expect with next year's team? The only thing I would have done differently if I were Coach is that I wouldn't have made out that tough of a schedule for next year. But hey, I've never coached Varsity football and Coach Kenny has for years. He is a great Coach and I will continue to defend him to you or anyone else that doesn't think he is the right guy for the job.

Why is everyone acting like an 8-4 record from last year was so terrible? Last year's team wasn't that talented and neither is this year's team. I predict 6 or 7 wins total for next year and that would be completely and totally satisfying to me considering the talent. A sophomore quarterback will rarely take you deep in the playoffs, but that is the best the Yellow Jackets have got.

Why are people so negative?
Are you saying that last years team had no talent(that is a joke) what about Hunter Adams, Brett Pittman, Bobby Partin and the other ten seniors. Kenny Roark lost the corbin and prestonburg game last year where you there? It was terrible and you call that a good coach. Someone needs to fill you in on the real Kenny Roark. I will start by saying he could have moved Hunter Adams to every position wide reciever, quaterback, coach and maybe even waterboy, if so last years record would read 10-2. Bingo!!!!!
yellowdog58 Wrote:Are you saying that last years team had no talent(that is a joke) what about Hunter Adams, Brett Pittman, Bobby Partin and the other ten seniors. Kenny Roark lost the corbin and prestonburg game last year where you there? It was terrible and you call that a good coach. Someone needs to fill you in on the real Kenny Roark. I will start by saying he could have moved Hunter Adams to every position wide reciever, quaterback, coach and maybe even waterboy, if so last years record would read 10-2. Bingo!!!!!

Are you saying that last year's team could have beat Corbin? :please: Corbin was then and still is by far the best team in the district. And actually yes, I was the Prestonsburg game. Thing about that game was, Prestonsburg was MORE talented than Middlesboro. How do I know that? Because I live in the Prestonsburg area and I watch them regularly. Sure Pittman, Adams, Partin, and the other guys made the nucleus of a good team, but you people act like they should have went to the state finals. I haven't always agreed with Coach Roark or his calls (especially his defensive gambles), but he is the guy and I am sticking by him for now. What was so "terrible" about losing to Corbin and Prestonsburg? As much as I love my Yellow Jackets I will tell you right now that the better team won in both of those games.

I'm guessing that you are a Middlesboro fan and are thinking that Coach Roark is in ther because of "politics", right? It's not so, because Coach Kenny is in there because he knows the game of football much better than you or I. He's played in games on the high school level and the college level like I said in an earlier post. Maybe you should wake up and realize that the talent is simply not there for the expectations that you and a few others have. There is talent there, but not like you are talking. This is not UK Basketball, this is Middlesboro Football. :eyeroll: Lighten up a little bit.
It is time for Kenny Roark to go ask most any one in Middlesboro and past players he is a joke, as for the Corbin game Middlesboro almost won but he would not make the changes that needed to be made and lost the game the same for Prestonburg also. The change he needed to make was to take his son out of the game.
MiddlesboroAlumni Wrote:Well my friend, you should be getting some good apologies ready. I agree with you on one thing, the schedule is tough, very tough. Let's look at it again with my predictions..

Aug 21, 09 Green County at Bell/Middlesboro - W
Aug 28, 09 Letcher County Central away - L
Sep 4, 09 Knox Central home - W
Sep 11, 09 Lee County, VA away - W
Sep 18, 09 Johnson Central - L
Sep 25, 09 Frankfort home - L
Oct 9, 09 Leslie County away - W
Oct 16, 09 Knott County Central home - W
Oct 23, 09 Corbin away - L
Oct 30, 09 South Laurel home - W

Very tough schedule, but Middlesboro can very possibly win 6 games. I'll say 5 at the very least. I say Middlesboro wins the Green County game in opener. Green County lost a lot from last season including their starting quarterback and top rusher. How can you say that Green County, Lee County, Knox Central, and South Laurel will be losses so easily? Middlesboro may not be the most talented team and may be even less taletented than last season, but you have to understand what these other teams have lost too. I may eat my owns word here, but Middlesboro will not win under 5 games. Young Chase will get better at quarterback, especially with one of the top receivers in the Mountains in Matt Powers. Roark has done well this summer throwing the ball in camps and practices from what I have heard back home.

I agree with BA on his prediction. I'll say a 6-4 record with a second seed in the distrcit playoffs once again.

They WILL NOT beat KC or Green Co.
Green co fan here.....quite an interesting thread here between bell and middlesboro.

I consider the opener a swing game for green. A possible but not a guaranteed win. Green lost a ton of players but returns enough talent that they could still be top ten or so in 2a and win their district.
Winterweather Wrote:Green co fan here.....quite an interesting thread here between bell and middlesboro.

I consider the opener a swing game for green. A possible but not a guaranteed win. Green lost a ton of players but returns enough talent that they could still be top ten or so in 2a and win their district.

Glad to have you on Bluegrassrivals. IMO the best high school forum in the state.