Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wonders of the Human Body
A medical curiosity was David Kennison, who was born in 1736 and participated in the Boston Tea Party. At the age of seventy-six, serving in the War of 1812, he lost a hand to a gunshot wound. Later, a tree fell on him, and fractured his skull. Some years later, while training soldiers in the use of a cannon, something went wrong and an explosion shattered his legs. He recovered. Yet later, a horse damaged his face. He died peacefully in 1851 at the age of 115.

Scientists are working on the possibility of removing a dying woman's ovaries and saving the eggs so that the woman can still have children, even after she is dead.

If you split a human embryo when it is less than a week old, identical twins will develop. This is already done with cattle.

Fetuses have gills.

One out of every 16 children is born with defects. Most of these are minor, such as the babies born with tails. When a baby is born with a tail, the doctors cut it off right away. Most people do not know if they had a tail.

In 1793, in France a true cyclops was born. She was a girl who lived to fifteen years old. She had a single eye in the middle of her face.

When you laugh, you expel short bursts of air at up to 70 miles per hour. Sneezes have been clocked at up to 100 miles per hour.

Recent scientific research indicates that garlic is a natural cancer-fighter. It also seems to lower cholesterol.

It has been found that citrus fruits, peanuts, and possibly cheese help reduce the incidence of tooth decay.

The difference between the DNA of a human and the DNA of an ape amounts to about 1.1 percent of the total.

One out of every 22 Americans is bionic, having artificial parts in their bodies. These parts include heart valves, pins, tubes, joints and more.

Where did the flu, influenza, get its name? At one time people thought the sickness was caused by the 'influence' of the stars and planets.

You are more likely to have a heart attack in the morning than at other times of the day.

One out of every four Americans has a blood cholesterol level high enough to be risking heart attack.

The sound of a sewing needle falling on a table is so slight that the vibrations may move your eardrums less than the width of a molecule. Yet in a quiet room, you can hear it. The amount of energy reaching your ears has been estimated at less than a millionth of a billionth of a watt.

Children have far more colds than adults. One theory to explain this is that we acquire a permanent immunity to a cold once we get it. But there are many variations of the virus, we'd have to catch one of each kind of cold before we would be immune to all colds.

One out of every 100 cells in our body is for defense against disease. So if you weigh 150 pounds, 1-1/2 pounds of you are for self-defense.

A baby was born to parents in Turkey that weighed 24 pounds, 4 ounces at birth.

Shortest adult: Pauline Musters, one foot, 9.65 inches tall.

Tallest adult: Robert Wadlow, 8 feet, 11 inches tall.

Lightest adult: Lucia Zarate 13 pounds at age 20.

Heaviest adult: Jon Minnoch, 1,400 pounds.

The person who is currently the oldest in the world is 115 years old. She spent 75 years of her life in a mental institution.

There was a fellow in Japan, Mr. Izumi, who made it to the age of 120 or 121. His grey hair was starting to turn black again.

You can't sneeze with your eyes open.

You can sweat up to 3 gallons per day.

It has been proven that if you exercise, you will add about two years to your life. However, you will use the two years exercising.

The native residents of the Andes Mountains, where the air is thin and oxygen is hard to get, have more than two extra quarts of blood in their bodies.

People with blue eyes are better able to see in the dark.

People are about an inch shorter in late evening than first thing in the morning.
Those are some pretty neat facts.
The world's longest human tongue is 3.7 inches measured from the tip to the center of his closed top lip.

The tallest living woman is taller than the tallest living man.

The living person with the largest hands measures 10.59 inches from his wrist to the tip of his middle finger.

The authenticated age to the oldest woman that has ever lived is 122 years and 164 days old.

David Huxley pulled a Boeing 747- 400 that weighed 412,264 pounds a distance of 298 feet 6 inches in under a minute and thirty seconds.
-Your eyes are always the same size from birth but your nose and ears never stop growing.

-It takes the food seven seconds to get from your mouth to your stomach.

-The average human dream lasts 2-3 seconds.

-Your brain is more active during the night than the day.

-One human hair can support 3kg.

-Human thighbones are stronger than concrete

-An average human loses about 200 head hairs per day.

-The white part of your fingernail is called the Lunula.

-There is enough iron in a human being to make one small nail.

-The attachment of human muscles to skin is what causes dimples.

-A 13 year old child found a tooth growing out of his foot in 1977.

-Your thumb is the same length of your nose.

-A woman's heart beats faster than a man's.

-Dogs and Humans are the only animals with prostates.

-It only takes 7lbs of of pressure to rip off your ears

-There are nine muscles in your ear.

-The navel divides the body of a newborn baby into two equal parts.

-If the average male never shaved, his beard would be 13 feet long when he died.

-Experts say the human body has 60,000 miles of blood vessels.

-The tongue is the only muscle attached at one end.

-Fetuses can hiccup.

-Your brain uses 40% of the oxygen that enters your bloodstream.

-Men without hair on their chests are more likely to get cirrhosis of the liver than men with hair.

-The longest recorded bout of hiccups lasted for 65 years.

-There are no two tongue prints that are alike.

-Women blink twice as much as men.

-The average person's skin weighs twice as much as their brain.

-When you are looking at someone you love, your pupils dialate, they do the same when you are looking at someone you hate.

-It takes twice as long to lose new muscle if you stop working out than it did to gain it.

-The three things pregnant women dream most of during their first trimester are 1) frogs 2) worms 3) potted plants.

-Your body gives off enough heat in 30 minutes to bring half a gallon of water to a boil.

-If they were laid end to end, the blood vessels in your body would wrap around the equator three times.

-Blondes have more hair than dark-haired people.

-Bone is stronger, inch for inch, than the steel in skyscrapers.

-About one third of the human race has 20-20 vision.

-A runner consumes about 7 quarts of oxygen while running a 100-yard dash.

-Your big toes have two bones each while the rest have three.

-A pair of human feet contain 250,000 sweat glands.

-Living brain cells are bright pink.

-You're ears secrete more earwax when you are afraid than when you aren't.

-If saliva cannot dissolve something, you cannot taste it.
Dang right fetusses can hiccup, I have hiccuped at least once a day since I was in the womb.....ask anyone.
go panthers!!! Wrote:-Your thumb is the same length of your nose.

OK...now how many people tested this one? :graduate:
I DID lol
-The tongue is the only muscle attached at one end.

i find this statement questionable. come on GUYS
PvilleCheerAlum Wrote:-The tongue is the only muscle attached at one end.

i find this statement questionable. come on GUYS
Good Point!!....Dirty Mind :ChairHit:
hey someone had to say it
football05 Wrote:I DID lol

me too lol
Beef Wrote:OK...now how many people tested this one? :graduate:

I had to...................lol AND IT WORKED :rock: :rock: lol:lmao:
I tested the nose size thing AND I see your point about the muscle.....hmmmm...
I tried the nose thing...lol
wow the nose thing worked*
thats absolutely ridonkulous

thats kinda neat how your pupils dilate when you look at someone you love and someone you hate...
try that one...it works too