Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Holmes 72 - Lexington Catholic 56 (Sweet 16 Quarterfinals)
Johnson brothers co-players of the game. Holmes dominated Vee Sanford. The fourth quarter was a dunkfest for Holmes
Great game by Holmes, they're gonna be a tough out. Central will have their hands full.
I was wondering. I thought that Holmes plays the winner of tonights game????
^ actually they do play tonights winner
Holmes, runner-up in the Sweet Sixteen last year, is headed back to the semifinals after leveling Lexington Catholic 72-56 in the quarterfinals Friday night at Rupp Arena.

The Bulldogs (34-2) couldn’t have been any more impressive as they rolled up a 24-point lead in the first half, saw LexCath rally to within 10, then blew out the Knights with another burst.

Holmes had 5 dunks in the fourth quarter as they stretched their lead back to 26 before the reserves took over.

Richardo Johnson had 15 points and 10 rebounds for the winners. Jamel Riley had 15 points and 6 assists. Jeremiah Johnson had 14 points and 12 rebounds. Elijah Pittman added 12 points and 9 rebounds. The Bulldogs shot 53%, including 8-for-15 on three-pointers. That accuracy helped offset their 24 turnovers.

LexCath star Vee Sanford never got going. He was 2-for-14 shooting and finished with 6 points, 6 rebounds and 4 assists. Tanner Peurach led the Knights with 15 points, all in the second half. Taylor Botkin had 14 points, 6 rebounds and 4 assists. Freshman Jaylen Beckham added 12 points and 5 rebounds.

Holmes will face the Shelby Valley-Elliott County winner in Saturday morning’s semifinals.
My bad, I got the bracket backwards. It's West Jessamine who will have to face Central.
After watching every team at Rupp, Holmes is the very best. What a team this is. They will play the winner of Elliott/Shelby Valley. Central plays West Jessamine.
Colonel Kill Wrote:After watching every team at Rupp, Holmes is the very best. What a team this is. They will play the winner of Elliott/Shelby Valley. Central plays West Jessamine.

IMO, the championship game is the Holmes matchup with the 15/16 region winnertomorrow morning.
Stardust Wrote:IMO, the championship game is the Holmes matchup with the 15/16 region winnertomorrow morning.

I agree, sets up kind of like lasts years 15th with Paintsville/Valley meeting in the semi-finals.
Holmes 72 Lexington Catholic 56

Holmes 27 18 5 22 72

Lexington Catholic 9 14 15 18 56

Sweet 16 at Rupp Arena
Quarterfinals
Holmes (34-2) -- Riley 15, J.Johnson 14, Pittman 12, Housley 8, R.Johnson 15, K.Rice 8.
Lexington Catholic (26-8) -- Ramsey 3, Sanford 6, Martin 4, Beckham 12, Botkin 14, Peurach 15, Leach 2.
Holmes really looking like the team to beat this week...
Spreaded a bit more than I expected.
Stardust Wrote:IMO, the championship game is the Holmes matchup with the 15/16 region winnertomorrow morning.

That's exactly what I was thinking!! :Thumbs:
Holmes came out and couldn't have missed a shot if they wanted to. But, Lexington Catholic cut the lead to maybe 9 at one point but then Holmes just took over. Holmes ended up having only scored 5 points in the 3rd quarter.

Very Fun Game To Watch!
Holmes routs LexCath in quarterfinals
Bulldogs advance to third straight semifinals

http://www.kentucky.com/813/story/733937.html

The final score indicated a rout, Holmes over Lexington Catholic 72-56 in Friday's quarterfinals of the National City Boys' Sweet Sixteen.

And it was, thanks to Holmes' outstanding shooting and a knock-your-socks-off effort on defense.

Rout doesn't equal embarrassment, though.

While Holmes (34-2) will return for Saturday's semifinals, Catholic saw its season end in Rupp Arena, a spot few thought they had a chance to reach.

"Look at the last six games we played," Knights Coach Brandon Salsman said. "Tates Creek, top 25; Lafayette, gets their best player back; Henry Clay, top 25; Madison Central, top 25; Scott County, No. 1; Bowling Green, 27 wins; and Holmes. I'll ask anybody out there, if you can find a group of kids who can compete against that better than mine, show 'em to me."

Holmes, runner-up to Mason County last year, looked unbeatable through the first half of Friday's game. Holmes led 27-9 through one quarter and 45-23 at halftime.

The Bulldogs shot 63 percent (17-for-27) in the half, 58.3 percent (7-for-12) from three-point range. They finished the game at 54.7 percent (29-for-53) overall, 53.3 percent (8-for-15) on three-pointers.

JaMel Riley sank three bombs, finishing with 15 points and six assists. Ricardo Johnson hit a three and a pair of fourth-quarter dunks en route to 15 points, 10 rebounds, three assists and three steals.

Ricardo's brother, Jeremiah, hit two threes and a fourth-quarter dunk, finishing with 14 points, 12 rebounds and three assists. And Elijah Pittman had a trey, two fourth-quarter dunks, 12 points and nine rebounds.

Coach David Henley saw another phase as key, though: Defense.

"This is our third straight Final Four," he said. "There's not many schools or teams that have done that. And the reason we've been here is our kids play defense."

For evidence, Henley cited Dominique Johnson, who was scoreless, and Brandon Housley, who had eight points.

"Those are probably the big difference-makers in the game because those two guarded Vee Sanford tonight, and Vee had six points," Henley said.

Ricardo Johnson eventually took some of the responsibility of guarding Sanford, but it was Dominique Johnson and Housley who set the tone from the get-go.

Sanford, who came into the tournament averaging 22.4 points a game, was 2-for-16 from the field. He had six rebounds and four assists to go with his six points.

"It was fun because I never guarded anyone as tough as Vee," Dominique Johnson said. "Just work hard, that's what it's about. Make sure I'm doing my job for the team. It ain't about scoring the most points or being the best player. It's about doing your job."

Tanner Peurach led Catholic with 15 points, all in the second half. Taylor Botkin scored 14 and Jaylen Beckham had 12. Catholic shot 31.3 percent (20-for-64).

The first quarter was similar to the 2008 semifinals matchup between the teams, except that it was Catholic that dominated last year by bolting to a 19-4 lead. Holmes rallied for a 57-50 victory in that game.

Friday, the Bulldogs led by 24 in the first half, 39-15.

"I just told the kids you have to keep chipping away," Salsman said. "We had goals set each quarter, and they achieved them."

So well that a 15-5 advantage in the third quarter cut the deficit to 50-38.

Peurach opened the fourth-quarter by pulling the Knights (26-8) to within 10 points.

Catholic's defense, primarily its press, forced eight consecutive turnovers.

But Holmes not only solved the press, it exploited it.

The Bulldogs scored nine points in a row and 16 of 18 to blow out to a 66-40 lead. Included were three consecutive dunks.

"I felt like we were in the ballgame, and we just ran out of gas," Salsman said. "We had to fight so hard to get back in the third quarter."

Rather than an embarrassment, Salsman saw his Knights as special.

"Of all the special teams I've coached, from Bourbon County to here, this one," Salsman said, his voice choking, "this one ... this one ranks supreme."
Holmes advances to semifinals

http://communitypress.cincinnati.com/app...903200376/

Holmes is in the final four of the boys basketball Sweet 16 for the third straight year.

Holmes beat Lexington Catholic 72-56 Friday night in a quarterfinal matchup at Rupp Arena.

Holmes (34-2) will play Shelby Valley (31-4) or Elliott County (31-2) in the second semifinal Saturday morning, tipoff no earlier than 11:30 a.m. The final is 8 p.m. West Jessamine (28-8) and Louisville Central (18-14) are in the other semi.

Against LexCath (26-8), Holmes jumped out to a 27-9 lead and led 45-23 at halftime. The Bulldogs made seven of their first nine three-point attempts in the half and shot 17-of-27 (63 percent) overall in the half.

JaMel Riley and Ricardo Johnson led Holmes with 15 points apiece. Jeremiah Johnson had 14 and Elijah Pittman 12.

Holmes limited LexCath all-state guard Vee Sanford (22.3 points per game) to six points. Dominique Johnson and Brandon Housley did most of the one-on-one guarding on Sanford, who was 2-of-16 from the floor.
Congrats Holmes on the win.
Defense as sweet as in past Sixteens
By Ryan Ernst • [email]rernst@enquirer.com[/email] • March 21, 2009

• • Print • ShareThis • Type: A A • Click-2-Listen

LEXINGTON - During their three straight trips to the boys' basketball state semifinals, the Holmes Bulldogs have made their reputation off shutting down all-state scoring machines.

In a 2007 win over South Laurel, they held Notre Dame recruit Ty Proffitt to 12 points on 4-of-15 shooting. In a 2008 win over Paintsville, they held current Kentucky guard Landon Slone to 11 points on 4-of-13 shooting.

And they did it again Friday night.

In a 72-56 quarterfinal victory over Lexington Catholic, Holmes held all-state guard Vee Sanford to six points on 2-of-16 shooting.

"Our defense wasn't always fundamentally sound," Holmes coach David Henley said. "But I think we're playing it hard."

The previous day, Sanford had torched Bowling Green for 28 points in a first-round win.

Holmes used a three-man rotation on Sanford. Dominique Johnson, Brandon Housley and Ricardo Johnson all took turns guarding him man-to-man.

"It was fun," Dominique Johnson said. "I've never guarded anyone as tough as Vee. I was just making sure I didn't take a play off. That's what it's all about. We were just doing our job for the team. It's not about scoring the most points or being the best player. It's about doing your job."

Sanford entered the game averaging 23 points per game.

The Knights shot just 31 percent from the field Friday night.

Holmes has held teams to 41.7 points per game in the postseason.

"The reason we've been here is because our kids play defense," Henley said. "It's not always (easy) to convince them in October and November how important it is. But I think as they start to have success, they start to understand it."

ALL TIED UP: With the victory, Holmes tied the school record for wins with 34. The 1978 and 2008 state runner-up teams also had 34 victories.

If the Bulldogs win a state title with two more victories today, they'll finish with a record of 36-2.

HISTORICALLY SPEAKING: The notion that only one Ninth Region team has ever won a state title is technically incorrect. Simon Kenton, which won the 1981 tournament, is the only Northern Kentucky championship team. But the state's first tournament, held in 1922, was won by Lexington, which was a Ninth Region school at the time.
Vee Sanford tried to do WAY to much...