Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sweet 16 - Round 2: Elizabethtown 70 - Boone Co. 54
Elizabethtown wins its 18th straight game and advances to its second straight state semifinal and its fourth in school history.
Congrats E-Town
Congrats E-Town!
Congrats E-Town!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

-EXPRESS YOURSELF-

Morehead State Eagle!
3/13/2009
Elizabethtown 70
Boone Co. 54

Boone Co. 8 8 16 22 54

Elizabethtown 23 15 22 10 70

Boone Co. (25-7) -- Bradley 11, Marschall 2, Davis 5, Sellers 9, Shrout 3, Browning 5, Bowling 4, Sandlin 13, Nash 2.
Elizabethtown (32-2) -- Downs 13, Lucas 14, Gilpin 1, Luckett 10, Greenwell 6, Nichols 2, Deaderick 9, Jones 14, Ditto 1.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

-EXPRESS YOURSELF-

Morehead State Eagle!
Rebels no match for Elizabethtown
By Ryan Ernst • [email]rernst@nky.com[/email] • March 13, 2009

BOWLING GREEN, Ky. -- When the Boone County girls’ basketball representatives walked into the post-game press conference Friday night at the state tournament, they looked equal parts dazed, tired and awestruck.

They had just played Elizabethtown, the team most have pegged as the next state champion. And they were believers.

“Golly,” said Boone County coach Nell Fookes. “Tell me who’s going to beat them.”

Not the Rebels.

Elizabethtown coasted to a 70-54 victory over Boone County at Diddle Arena. The Panthers led by as many as 33 points before stepping off the gas.

Boone County never led. After cutting the lead to 8-7 on a Heather Sandlin jumper midway through the first quarter, the Rebels went more than 12 minutes without scoring a field goal. The Panthers made a 25-3 run during the span and led 38-16 at the half.

From the opening tipoff the game looked like a mismatch. Elizabethtown’s starters stand 5-9, 5-10, 5-11, 5-6 and 6-0. Boone County’s top five – 5-6, 5-9, 5-7, 5-8 and 5-2 – paled in comparison.

Elizabethtown’s size advantage paid dividends from the start of the game. It scored 26 points in the paint during the first half. Boone County had just two. For the game, the Panthers outscored Boone County 40-10 in the post.

“I’ve never played against anybody as big as them,” Boone County forward Lauren Bowling said. “Every single one of them is strong and big. We just didn’t match up well.”

The Rebels played both man-to-man and zone defense against the Panthers. They pressed, too. Nothing worked. Offensively, they were forced to settle for long jump shots. The Rebels shot just 33 percent from the field and were 9-of-27 from 3-point range.

Elizabethtown coach Tim Mudd, said he was most concerned about the penetration of Boone County guard Jacy Bradley. She finished with 11 points and seven assists.

“She’s really good. She can shoot it; she can handle it; she can penetrate,” Mudd said. “I thought we did a really good job on her.

“I was very pleased because we made them very perimeter-oriented. If we can do that in a game – they shot 27 3’s – I’m happy with that.”

Elizabethtown opened the second half on an 18-7 run to increase its lead to 56-23. Midway through the fourth quarter, with a 23-point lead, Mudd took out the last of his starters.