Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Campbell County - 09 outlook
Any information on the 2009 Camels. They lost a lot in graduation with Woodruff and the Franzens. Who will the the Camels #1 on the mound this year? What is there projected line-up?
Campbell Co. Camels
2009 Varsity Baseball Schedule
Date Day Opposition Location Time
3/26 Thur. Bellevue Home 5:00
3/27 Fri. Ryle Home 5:00
3/28 Sat. Clark Co. Home 2:00
3/31 Tues. Holy Cross Home 5:00
4/1 Wed. Brossart Home 5:00
4/2 Thurs. Anderson Co. Home 6:00
4/3 Fri. Boone Co. Home 5:00
4/6 Mon. Dixie Home 7:30
4/7 Tues. Pendleton Co. Home 5:00
4/8 Wed. Simon Kenton Home 7:00
4/10 Fri. Scott Home 5:00
4/13 Mon. Cooper Home 5:00
4/14 Tues. Harrison Co. Harrison Co. 5:30
4/15 Wed. Conner Conner 5:00
4/17 Fri. Holmes Home 5:00
4/18 Sat. Doc Morris Tourney Away TBA
4/19 Sun. Doc Morris Tourney Away TBA
4/20 Mon. Cov. Catholic Home 5:00
4/22 Wed. Boone Co. Boone Co. 5:00
4/24 Fri. Ryle Ryle 5:00
4/25 Sat. Lloyd Lloyd 1:00
4/28 Tues. Mason Co. Mason Co. 7:30
4/30 Thurs. Calvary Christian Calvary 5:00
5/1 Fri. Silver Grove Home 5:00
5/2 Sat. Highlands Home 2:00
5/4 Mon. NCC Home 7:30
5/5 Tues. Pendleton Co. Pendleton Co. 5:00
5/6 Wed Conner Home 7:30
5/8 Fri. Gaslight Bash Jeffersontown 6:00
5/9 Sat. Gaslight Bash Jeffersontown 3:00 & 5:00
5/11 Mon. Highlands Highlands 5:00
5/12 Tues. Harrison Co. Home 5:30
5/14 Wed. Mason Co. Home 7:30
5/15 Fri. Bourbon Co. Bourbon Co. 5:00
They have Coffman, Estes, franzen, Broering back from last year on the mound ,in that order,and Lauer also played varsity, I think they also will have about 4 other seniors, they have a few good juniors, and a few sophomores that should get some playing time.
I wish them luck.
They will need some luck, I do not know if they have a true number one like Woody last year, but they do return 4 kids that pitch alot last year, and if they can get the couple of underclassman they have work into the lineup early in the year they could help them put up run's, they have a couple young kid's that can really hit the ball.
allsports00 Wrote:They will need some luck, I do not know if they have a true number one like Woody last year, but they do return 4 kids that pitch alot last year, and if they can get the couple of underclassman they have work into the lineup early in the year they could help them put up run's, they have a couple young kid's that can really hit the ball.

I know that Campbell County lost a lot to graduation last year. Who is projected to be in the starting line-up? I know Bobby Estes very well, but it was my understanding he is hurting?
Bobby Estes has had arm troubles over the winter. The Camels need Bobby in order to have depth at the pitching roster.

My preference would be to see Coffman play 3B, move Bobby to 2nd to take the strain off of his arm and catch John Rust.

The Camels are already short one of their best arms and likely CF starter in Austin Vann due to arm surgery.

The Camels have tremendous depth with many young players who could help the varsity when called on. Coach Heringer has a lot of holes to fill withlast years draduation, which was more than just losing Woody. He has the talent to keep the camels at the top of the Dirstrict and a threat to the 10th.
I think once coach Heringer fills the holes at shortstop, catcher, and center field the rest of the team will come easy.
allsports00 Wrote:I think once coach Heringer fills the holes at shortstop, catcher, and center field the rest of the team will come easy.

Who will catch. If Coffman is slated as one of their top pitchers, then who catches and where does Coffman play in the field? Can Coffman play SS? I thought Estes was the CF.
Rust, or Kremer should be the catcher, coffman 3rd ,and pitch, they do not have a SS, Davis is his best option, if Estes is having arm problems, I would play him in LF and play Rebholz in CF, Lauer at 2nd, you still have Frazen you can play at RF or SS if you need to fill that position.
allsports00 Wrote:Rust, or Kremer should be the catcher, coffman 3rd ,and pitch, they do not have a SS, Davis is his best option, if Estes is having arm problems, I would play him in LF and play Rebholz in CF, Lauer at 2nd, you still have Frazen you can play at RF or SS if you need to fill that position.

Didn't Franzen play OF last year?
Stardust Wrote:Didn't Franzen play OF last year?

Ben Franzen did play Right Field at times last year but was not an every game starter. Ben could play SS since that is where he played during the summer, but he is probably best suited for the Outfield.

He has a younger brother Joe who has a very live arm and if given a chance, he could be a rising star for the Camels.
CamelPride Wrote:Ben Franzen did play Right Field at times last year but was not an every game starter. Ben could play SS since that is where he played during the summer, but he is probably best suited for the Outfield.

He has a younger brother Joe who has a very live arm and if given a chance, he could be a rising star for the Camels.

Joe will be a very good pitcher at CCHS in the years to come, but would be better for this year to play every day on the Junior Varsity team, I would like for him to get some time at 1st base, with his size he would make all infielders better, and that works real well because I think he can become a #1 or #2 pitcher for CCHS, he also could use daily at bats.
allsports00 Wrote:Joe will be a very good pitcher at CCHS in the years to come, but would be better for this year to play every day on the Junior Varsity team, I would like for him to get some time at 1st base, with his size he would make all infielders better, and that works real well because I think he can become a #1 or #2 pitcher for CCHS, he also could use daily at bats.

Well said :Thumbs:

I didn't mean to infer that Joe should play Varsity. Joe has a lot of potential and several tools including a very strong arm. His bat is not ready for Varsity competition yet.

Campbell Co. has the talent to compete with anyone and they have a very good problem to have: Lot's of Young players who will push the older guys to perform.
CamelPride Wrote:Well said :Thumbs:

I didn't mean to infer that Joe should play Varsity. Joe has a lot of potential and several tools including a very strong arm. His bat is not ready for Varsity competition yet.

Campbell Co. has the talent to compete with anyone and they have a very good problem to have: Lot's of Young players who will push the older guys to perform.

So who do you think should be the starting 8?
Coffman catch, Albrect first, Estes third, Davis shotstop, Lauer possibly at second, Rebholz center, Gearhart left and Franzen right
Sounds like this could be the starting 8:

1B - Albrecht
2B - Lauer
SS - Iles
3B - Coffman
C - Rust
L - Estes
CF - Gearhardt
R - B Franzen

Carrier and Reif fill in the openings when others are pitching.

Looks like Estes arm is OK and Broering will be healthy at the start of the season.

Losing Vann hurts the depth on the mound.

Possible starting Shortstop Davis will not be joining the team this year.
It looks like numberswise, both the varsity and JV will be around 14-15 players each
I'm sorry, I didn't see this post before. I am pasting what I wrote in another post -

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think the Camels will struggle this year. They have a lot of holes to fill from last year and really have no solid Ace on the mound. Somone above posted the potential starters, but I think they have young players who are as good as these starters or better.

Most programs are going younger. At Brossart, they will be playing many Sopohomores and Juniors. Campbell County could take that lesson and begin building for the future.

Putting Albreccht at First instead of playing a younger player is a mistake. The Camels have a very good sophomore outfielder that is lefthanded and could play that position. Why put a player on the team that did not even play baseball for the team last year?

The Camels whole infield could be made up of Sophomore's from what I remember of watching the JV and Freshman teams of last year. The Freshman infield was very solid and they could hit. The JV team struggled at the plate. I would start a sophomore infield and put the Seniors in the outfield, move Lauer to DH.
Cc Football Wrote:Coffman catch, Albrect first, Estes third, Davis shotstop, Lauer possibly at second, Rebholz center, Gearhart left and Franzen right

Isn't Davis kicked off the team? I would catch Coffman, play Estes, Garheardt and Ben Franzen in the Outfield. Play Jake Rebholts (sp), Cory Shepard, Mike Kremer and Mike Teegarden in the infield. I would have Lauer AH and play utility infielder.

This way, you are developing your players for the future as well as putting your best defense on the field. Each of the Sopohomores will struggle at first with the Varsity pitching, but in time, they will all be much better for it.

When I played there, Coach Mohr would put the best player on the field, did not matter what grade you were in. I know Coach Hill, and he would be an ideal coach for this situation. I would like to see him on the Varsity coaching staff. He would promote the younger players and help get them ready for Varsity baseball. The Camels need more than two coaches per level to give more direction, guidance and teaching to each player.
CamelPride Wrote:It looks like numberswise, both the varsity and JV will be around 14-15 players each

Out of how many who tried out? I would assume that it's very difficult to choose just 14 kids.
CCHS90 Wrote:I'm sorry, I didn't see this post before. I am pasting what I wrote in another post -

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think the Camels will struggle this year. They have a lot of holes to fill from last year and really have no solid Ace on the mound. Somone above posted the potential starters, but I think they have young players who are as good as these starters or better.

Most programs are going younger. At Brossart, they will be playing many Sopohomores and Juniors. Campbell County could take that lesson and begin building for the future.

Putting Albreccht at First instead of playing a younger player is a mistake. The Camels have a very good sophomore outfielder that is lefthanded and could play that position. Why put a player on the team that did not even play baseball for the team last year?

The Camels whole infield could be made up of Sophomore's from what I remember of watching the JV and Freshman teams of last year. The Freshman infield was very solid and they could hit. The JV team struggled at the plate. I would start a sophomore infield and put the Seniors in the outfield, move Lauer to DH.

Nice idea, but it does not work at Campbell County this way anymore. There is nothing wrong with have good senior leadership, but if you have players on the roster just for experience, and they will not be key contributors, then you are wasting roster spots. That said, I don't see any changes from the line-up listed above that is Senior laden.
Stardust Wrote:Nice idea, but it does not work at Campbell County this way anymore. There is nothing wrong with have good senior leadership, but if you have players on the roster just for experience, and they will not be key contributors, then you are wasting roster spots. That said, I don't see any changes from the line-up listed above that is Senior laden.

It's just an opinion. It may not work, but the idea of putting younger players into position to help the team before they are upperclassmen seems to be a good plan to program development?

Coach Heringer is a good guy and does well with what he has, but I beleive he is missing an opportunity to help his future by not getting more involved with his younger class. I have seen it in Football pay dividends. The Saueback's over the last few years is a great example of taking younger players, pushing them into the speed of the game at an early stage, and getting great results by their Junior year.
Looks like the Camels have finalized their cuts. No surprises from what I hear. Sounds like all the Basketball palyers that were expected to tryout did. I believe the Camels are carrying 25 players between JV & Varsity, which could pose a challenge to having enough pitching, but the have good depth between both teams.

Anyone heard of when they will be scrimmaging?
I think the roster should look like this
1B - Albrecht
2B - Lauer
SS - Steffen
3B - Coffman
C - Rust
L - Estes
CF - Carrier
R - B Franzen
From watching the practices, I could easily see Iles at SS. He is very quick and gets to a lot of balls. Ben Franzen may well be the SS, which would open a spot in the outfield for Menetrey or Carrigan.