Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Louisville Eastern, Male barred from playing in State Farm Shootout
I was out of town this weekend so I didn't see this article in the Courier-Journal about Male and Eastern not being allowed to play in the State Farm Shootout. On Fri. night, I had heard from both coaches that they were leaving the next afternoon. Comes to be that JCPS ruled that they could not go, due to safety and alerted them to this while they were loading the buses to leave. While at the same time JCPS ruled that Shawnee WAS ALLOWED to go to Richmond to play in the All "A", which I was told for the most part was without power and the EKU campus was without running water for a while.

Trinity and Adair Co. were used as replacements for Male and Eastern.

This is a little absurd, especially considering Richmond was a lot worse off than Bowling Green and Shawnee was allowed to go there. Also, it really bothers me that Trinity played in one of those spots since they are a 7th Region rival of both Eastern and Male. This just further prods the Private-Public battle in this state. I've never had a huge problem with it, but instances like this are, for lack of better words...stupid. Trinity is not bound by JCPS rules, so they were allowed to play and I see that as a problem.

In my opinion, Kentucky High School athletics should be under COMPLETE control of the KHSAA. I respect that JCPS cancels all extracurricular activities when school is out due to weather conditions, however, there are too many inconsistencies and exceptions between JCPS, KHSAA and the Archdioscese of Louisville. (i.e. Shawnee allowed to go to All "A", Trinity allowed to play etc.)

Courier-Journal Story