Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BluegrassRivals.com Boys Basketball Top 20 (Jan. 21)
BGR's Boys Basketball Top 20 1/21

1. Scott County
2. Holmes
3. Elliott County
4. Eastern
5. Jeffersontown
6. Ballard
7. Bryan Station
8. Lexington Catholic
9. Male
(T) Mason County
(T) Clark County
12. Anderson County
13. Louisville Trinity
14. Christian County
15. Shelby Valley
16. Franklin County
17. Boone County
18. Corbin
(T) Warren Central
20. Scott
Nice to see Valley back in the rankings.
This looks pretty good. I don't see much I would change.
Only problems I have with this poll is Clark County is too high.
Clark County has been as hot as anybody in the state until the were upset the other night with yet another starter out with a broken nose concussion.

I believe they are definitely a top ten team.
Corbin beat Clark County by 41 in the pan o rama. Corbin was also playing without their center Aaron Manns who was still playing football. Lexington Catholic was also a victim of the Redhounds. Most places have Corbin in the 7-9 range.
HAROLD Wrote:Corbin beat Clark County by 41 in the pan o rama. Corbin was also playing without their center Aaron Manns who was still playing football. Lexington Catholic was also a victim of the Redhounds. Most places have Corbin in the 7-9 range.

I do agree that Corbin is way to low on the rankings.
HAROLD Wrote:Corbin beat Clark County by 41 in the pan o rama. Corbin was also playing without their center Aaron Manns who was still playing football. Lexington Catholic was also a victim of the Redhounds. Most places have Corbin in the 7-9 range.

What a team does in a panorama means nothing. Preseason games count do not count toward a team's overall record, so they also are not considered when making these rankings.

Corbin does have solid regular-season wins against LexCath, Clay Co., and twice against South Laurel included in their 18-2 record. They are a solid team and should move up further this week.
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
HAZARD should be in the top 20
hazard reject Wrote:HAZARD should be in the top 20

Only way Hazard gets into the Top 20 is if they win the All "A" state championship or come close to defeating Valley or Elliott County in the finals.
hazard reject Wrote:HAZARD should be in the top 20

They are on Cantral's Poll, if that makes you feel any better.
I agree that preseason games do not mean anything in regards to the season. However, although it doesn't count, it was still a 4 8 minute quarter game and Corbin won by 40 points. I'm not saying that Corbin would win by such a margin if they met tomorrow night but I do think 40 points has plenty of merit when comparing them whether it was an official game or not. Today in the Cantrell ratings, the Redhounds have moved up a spot to 6th with Shelby Valley being 7th.
HAROLD Wrote:I agree that preseason games do not mean anything in regards to the season. However, although it doesn't count, it was still a 4 8 minute quarter game and Corbin won by 40 points. I'm not saying that Corbin would win by such a margin if they met tomorrow night but I do think 40 points has plenty of merit when comparing them whether it was an official game or not. Today in the Cantrell ratings, the Redhounds have moved up a spot to 6th with Shelby Valley being 7th.

If that game happened again in the regular season, Corbin might win in a blowout, or they might lose. The thing is we'll never know. In the end, preseason games are still just a glorified practice, and I give them ZERO weight.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
looks good to me
If Corbin should be in the top 20 then Knox Central should be because they beat Corbin by 9 points! Even though Knox was beat by Holmes and Ballard they should have a spot in the top 20 if Corbin does!
amanda_kcms Wrote:If Corbin should be in the top 20 then Knox Central should be because they beat Corbin by 9 points! Even though Knox was beat by Holmes and Ballard they should have a spot in the top 20 if Corbin does!

It's been said on here before, but I'll say it again. Just because Team A has beaten Team B does not mean that Team A will be ranked higher. Rankings take into account a team's ENTIRE season up to that point, not just one game. And even though Knox was the better team that night, Corbin has had a much better season overall, hence that is why they are ranked higher.

You just can't automatically put every team ahead of all the teams it has beaten. For example, even though Knox beat Corbin, South Laurel beat Knox twice. So, you put SL ahead of Knox, and Knox ahead of Corbin, right? But wait, Corbin beat SL twice, so now what do you do?

The solution is not to just look at head-to-head matchups and say Team A should be higher than Team B just because they beat them. Especially when Team A (Knox) has lost 7 times this year, including 4 defeats by 20+ point margins. Look at what each team has done for the whole season, and you will see why Corbin is ranked and Knox is not.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
More Cowbell Wrote:It's been said on here before, but I'll say it again. Just because Team A has beaten Team B does not mean that Team A will be ranked higher. Rankings take into account a team's ENTIRE season up to that point, not just one game. And even though Knox was the better team that night, Corbin has had a much better season overall, hence that is why they are ranked higher.

You just can't automatically put every team ahead of all the teams it has beaten. For example, even though Knox beat Corbin, South Laurel beat Knox twice. So, you put SL ahead of Knox, and Knox ahead of Corbin, right? But wait, Corbin beat SL twice, so now what do you do?

The solution is not to just look at head-to-head matchups and say Team A should be higher than Team B just because they beat them. Especially when Team A (Knox) has lost 7 times this year, including 4 defeats by 20+ point margins. Look at what each team has done for the whole season, and you will see why Corbin is ranked and Knox is not.

Good post.
Our next rankings will not be posted until Monday, February 2nd.
More Cowbell Wrote:It's been said on here before, but I'll say it again. Just because Team A has beaten Team B does not mean that Team A will be ranked higher. Rankings take into account a team's ENTIRE season up to that point, not just one game. And even though Knox was the better team that night, Corbin has had a much better season overall, hence that is why they are ranked higher.

Ok. I understand your point. But how is Holmes ranked lower than Scott Co? Scott county has 3 losses including one to holmes. And Holmes avenged there ONLY loss and beat Bryan Station by 18 doing so. Holmes has also beaten Seneca,Ballard,Tates Creek,Knox co,Largo(3a defending state champion from Maryland),Franklin Co., and plays Scott tomorrow and should beat them. Holmes should be number one for beating the team right above them in the poll and having lost 2 less games against equal if not greater competition and avenged their only loss. 1.Holmes 2.Scott Co/Elliot Co.(haven't seen Elliot Co play but I know their record,seen box scores and have heard from those who have)
Holmes/UKfan Wrote:Ok. I understand your point. But how is Holmes ranked lower than Scott Co? Scott county has 3 losses including one to holmes. And Holmes avenged there ONLY loss and beat Bryan Station by 18 doing so. Holmes has also beaten Seneca,Ballard,Tates Creek,Knox co,Largo(3a defending state champion from Maryland),Franklin Co., and plays Scott tomorrow and should beat them. Holmes should be number one for beating the team right above them in the poll and having lost 2 less games against equal if not greater competition and avenged their only loss. 1.Holmes 2.Scott Co/Elliot Co.(haven't seen Elliot Co play but I know their record,seen box scores and have heard from those who have)

You make an excellent point, but the big win over Bryan Station really increased voters choices of having Scott County leap-frog Holmes for the #1 ranking. Later on in the week Bryan Station gets knocked off by Henry Clay which makes most voters realize that BS wasn't as good as we all thought, therefore making Scott County's blowout win over BS less impressive.

When our rankings come out Monday, I'm sure Holmes will be #1.
PC_You_Know Wrote:Nice to see Valley back in the rankings.

DO YOU THINK BGR WILL RANK THEM HIGHER THAN 15TH THIS WEEK AND

HOW ABOUT THE 3RD PLACE IN THE EK POLL?