Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pikeville vs. Woodford County (PIT Championship)
Thoughts and Predictions.
Should be a good game. I like Pikeville 62-57
I like Woodford by 13. Woodford has beaten very good East/West Jessamine teams, a good Grant County team for there only loss on the season and I really look for them to be a little to much for Pikeville today..But I have been wrong before!
PIKEVILLE has a tall task again if they shoot it well they can play with anyone.
IMO, Pikeville will have to keep Woodford County out of their inside game. Full court pressure with a helping defense under the goal will make the height advantage of Woodford less productive. Run outs for Pikeville will be a big scoring plus for them and getting the open shots from double screens will help Matt and Gatlin hit more of their shots. If Pikeville will use the kickout passes off penetration by Matt and Gatlin, this will give the Panthers a big scoring advantage. Overall, Pikeville will have to maintain the hustle the whole game and never give up if they fall behind in the score.
If Woodford takes advantage of Pikeville's weak interior play, that will be the deciding factor in the game. Should be a good game, I think Pikeville is probably the better team of the two. Woodford has some kids that pass the look test, but they are no better than average. Their big kid inside is their biggest weapon. Pikeville should win this game because of their perimeter play. Woodford will have a hard time handling Pikeville's pressure, they are not great ballhandlers.
No. 52, the big kid, has a potential to foul if put to one on one defense, so that is a factor to consider. Two or three fouls in the first half could take him out of play. Like I said earlier, on screens and double screens, his height would not be a factor in blocking the shots. Pikeville must keep him away from the paint as much as possible and trap him under the basket before he can get the ball. He will force shots. He shoots the foul shot well, so we do not want to give him that option. Whoever guards him must keep a close physical body against him at all time. He will push off with his elbow if he is guarded very closely.
One other comment...I would have Matt drive against him early in the game and see whether he fouls or not. If Matt jumps in against him on shots under the basket, I know that he will commit the foul. He wants to block shots big time and that could cause his demise.