Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question of the Week.....
Why do some programs insist in running up the score ??? Is it to humiliate the other team ?

I am not naming any team Professional, Collegiate or High School level. In the Collegiate level there is the BCS, we all know why the top notch programs have to increase their point totals to earn a BCS berth based on a computer.

But in the High School ranks, running up the score is simply classless when done intentionally. You have to remember, your not talking about grown men, these are 14-18 yr. old boys. I just really don't see the benefits of beating someone 80-0 for example when its clear that the opponent is weaker and by far outmanned.

Just wanted to start some debate on this topic...
I guess you could say it makes them feel like the BIG FISH in the small pond.
I have some general thoughts about how a blowout should be handled:

1. Starters deserve to start and play.

2. If at ANY point a 45 point lead is reached and the running clock is initiated, starters should be pulled immediately.

3. If they game is very well in hand but the lead has not reached 45 points, starters should play one series each way in the second half before being pulled.

4. Backups, 2nd team, 3rd team, and freshmen all need work. They should be able to run their ENTIRE offense unless they score at will.

5. If they are able to score at will, then the coach needs to conserve his play calling to ALL runs with no trick plays.

6. The last option to conserve the score if you're lowest level players have already entered the game is to also eliminate all wide plays such as pitches and sweeps and run the ball between the tackles.

7. At this point it is the responsibility of the losing coach to prevent scoring. If the winning team's lowest players are in, they are running between the tackles, and still cannot be stopped, then there is no way an embarrassing margin can be avoided. As of this point, I would never consider the outcome a "running up" of the score.
the only one that refers to pburg tonight would be # 6 the sweep plays BUT IT WAS A FRESHMAN running the ball.....they did run sweep plays and magoffin wasnt fast enouhg to get outside.....but all of the other ones prestonsburg followed So i dont think the score was ran up as bad as people think......
Very intellegent post tomcat.
I know that alot of people will take offense to this thread being started right after the whole P-burg thing but in general, those steps should be taken to prevent the running of the score.
If it comes down to it, games could be called to prevent such.
There's no problem running sweeps with the young guys unless you've proved on multiple occassions that they can not stop you there and you continue to exploit that weakness intentionally.
I don't think teams run up a score.. I have never been to a game that a team plays their varsity much of it when they are up by a lot..
Well, this thread was'nt referring to any team score last night, although it raised the topic for discussion.
Like 15th said, I don't think any team runs up the score intentionally. If you can still whip your opponent with the Freshman in, then I agree the game should just be called at some point.
How come every one that is for Pburg is saying there is nothing wrong with running up the score. I have seen no one else on this thread or the magoffin thread from pburg that actaully admit to running up the score. 83 points is pretty hard to get without running up the score.
Because I don't think there is anything wrong with scoring a lot of points.. if you're entire team is that much better then score.. if the freshman are scoring against them then there's not much else you can do.. you didn't see me complaining when Pburg got killed by Ashland.. so it's my opinion and it has nothing to do with beating magoffin co.
I feel sometimes that no matter if the grade school team is put in to try to not run up the score it is gonna happen. There is that big a gap in the programs. If you put in your jv or freshmen do you say dont try to score or dont get a first down. That is their chance to shine and earn some future playing time. It isnt always someone trying to blow someone out to embarrass them, just the fact that some schools are that much better than other schools. I often hear the line "Our grade school team could beat them" believe it or not that is true to sometimes. It hurts to be beat and beat bad I agree and sometimes it is that to give the players the shame that they can or to rub it in. I remember when Kansas run the score up on UK, but always remember it will come back to haunt you if it is done intentionally. I dont think a school should be put down if they do put in jv and freshmen but they continue to increase a margin on the scoreboard. You want the young players to develop and sometimes it looks as though it is intentionally running up the score when it is just younger kids wanting a chance to play.
How can anyone say that teams dont run tha score up on people.
I am not talking about fridays game.
Teams do it on all levels and in all sports.
I believe that some teams * not naming any in our district* but their is only one team that just runs the score up on their opener game ran it 80-20 i think and that is just to much for a football scorem if it is not goin int oa BSC rankin which hs football does not have then their is a time and a place to pull you're starters. I think it is the way a football program can either get their name in a headline or just look big to their next week oponent. But no matter what I think running up the score intenonally makes you're team look real ****y.
Doc Holliday Wrote:How can anyone say that teams dont run tha score up on people.
I am not talking about fridays game.
Teams do it on all levels and in all sports.

College footbal I an understand that becuase now these days you can not be to carefull about the BSC voters ( thats why they should be done with them cough cough)
In the programs ive been associated with running up the score didnthappen ..14 to 20 point lead was sufficient and we played to maintain that ie using 2,3,stringers..seems there"Confused been quite a few blow outs this year and ive seen some people give there oppinions..I know some Pikeville supporters voiced there discontent with Hazard beating Jenkins unmercifully
which I think was to much also, but why arent you gouging your own team for doing the same thing to Phelps? If ya cant call it both ways dont cry when ya get your field plowed with ya..
Sometimes rivalries will result in high scores. Like last year when williamsburg came over and beat us then acted like they were holier than god. IE the brain bashing they recieved this year.
DangerousA Wrote:Sometimes rivalries will result in high scores. Like last year when williamsburg came over and beat us then acted like they were holier than god. IE the brain bashing they recieved this year.
Who brian bashed Williamsburg? I think so far this season that The Jumpers have been the only team to actually handle them pretty well. or are you speaking of a game later this season?
Dodge Wrote:Who brian bashed Williamsburg? I think so far this season that The Jumpers have been the only team to actually handle them pretty well. or are you speaking of a game later this season?

Correct me if I'm wrong DangerousA but it may be a possibility that he is referring to the fact that Williamsburg beat one of their rivals badly last year while this year receiving a "brain bashing" from a completely different rival school.
LoL, this is pretty stupid... Magoffin was pretty pumped up with predictions saying that they could in fact win, but then they cry foul when the freshman squad takes it to them... 83 points was harsh, though. Maybe there should be a new league for undermanned teams such as Betsy Layne, Magoffin County, Allen Central, Phelps, etc.
tomcat68 Wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong DangerousA but it may be a possibility that he is referring to the fact that Williamsburg beat one of their rivals badly last year while this year receiving a "brain bashing" from a completely different rival school.
Your probably right but what i was saying is that so far noone has really beaten them the way williamsburg beat teams last year...except for The Jumpers, i was just wondering who he was talking about
i'm referring to the loss they recieved from somerset, obviously
Sometimes you can't help it, other times it's an ego-booster.