Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Somewhere tonight in 1990
An Elkhorn City fan is kicking out a window at the old Feds Creek High School gym. And some Feds Creek fans are vandalizing the Elkhorn City team bus. Meanwhile, one of the greatest rivalries to ever grace this state is going on inside that gym on a 75ft court, a standing room only crowd, 30 degrees outside, 110 degrees inside. Ralph Good, calm, cool, and collected vs. Randy McCoy, hot-tempered, cussing, and dang near insane. Jody Thompson and Heff Conley are battling it out. Blue and Gold vs. Blue and Gold. Who wants it more?

God I miss those days. Heck I was only 10 then. I'd love to find some old tapes of those games.
EC_Cougar_11 Wrote:An Elkhorn City fan is kicking out a window at the old Feds Creek High School gym. And some Feds Creek fans are vandalizing the Elkhorn City team bus. Meanwhile, one of the greatest rivalries to ever grace this state is going on inside that gym on a 75ft court, a standing room only crowd, 30 degrees outside, 110 degrees inside. Ralph Good, calm, cool, and collected vs. Randy McCoy, hot-tempered, cussing, and dang near insane. Jody Thompson and Heff Conley are battling it out. Blue and Gold vs. Blue and Gold. Who wants it more?

God I miss those days. Heck I was only 10 then. I'd love to find some old tapes of those games.

Jody was gone before Heff even started his playing days at EC. Now if you would have said Jody Thompson and Kermit Belcher then the year would have fit.
For some reason I thought they overlapped in 1990 and Heff was in 8th grade at the time. You're probably right though. Like I said I was around 10 but I do remember Kermit Belcher, Scottie Mullins, Charlie Hawkins and some of those guys. Tyler Bailiff, Mike Fraley also. Matt Good, Rodney Fuller, Heath Phillips etc. Either way those years were fierce. It was standing room only at Elkhorn a few times as well and EC's gym was cavernous. It "seated" about 3300 but you could fit plenty more in there.

I found some old vids on youtube of EC vs. Dorton and EC vs. Prestonsburg in 1982. Was pretty fun to watch.
wooderson Wrote:Jody was gone before Heff even started his playing days at EC. Now if you would have said Jody Thompson and Kermit Belcher then the year would have fit.

Heff was an 8th grader then,i was a senior in 90 at Phelps
I was at a game that almost fit that description in Feb. of '91. The place was so packed,you couldn't even move. The cheerleaders couldn't even cheer. You could literally reach out from your seat and swat the refs. Wink The rivalry was absolutley awesome. I remember the guys from EC - Heff Conley, Tyler Bailiff, Mike Fraley, Joey Thacker (sorry, I don't remember the other starter). I don't remember who won that round, but when they played at EC, I remember the fans storming the floor in celebration of defeating FC.
Good times. Those were men who played then, so much more physically mature than todays players!
all-or-nothing Wrote:I was at a game that almost fit that description in Feb. of '91. The place was so packed,you couldn't even move. The cheerleaders couldn't even cheer. You could literally reach out from your seat and swat the refs. Wink The rivalry was absolutley awesome. I remember the guys from EC - Heff Conley, Tyler Bailiff, Mike Fraley, Joey Thacker (sorry, I don't remember the other starter). I don't remember who won that round, but when they played at EC, I remember the fans storming the floor in celebration of defeating FC.

Take out Joey Thacker and add Rod Spradlin and Kevin Rose and that was the starting lineup for EC that year. A very very very good team that peaked at the right time. Let me also add that Ive never played against a better group of guys. Class acts on the court. I think Tyler could very well be one of the most underrated players all time in the 15th.
EC_Cougar_11 Wrote:An Elkhorn City fan is kicking out a window at the old Feds Creek High School gym. And some Feds Creek fans are vandalizing the Elkhorn City team bus. Meanwhile, one of the greatest rivalries to ever grace this state is going on inside that gym on a 75ft court, a standing room only crowd, 30 degrees outside, 110 degrees inside. Ralph Good, calm, cool, and collected vs. Randy McCoy, hot-tempered, cussing, and dang near insane. Jody Thompson and Heff Conley are battling it out. Blue and Gold vs. Blue and Gold. Who wants it more?

Yea I do too. The only person I can think that would have tapes could be either Coach Mccoy(UHA) Randy Fuller...? and maybe Geary Walton.
I watched those EC clips on youtube. Kids are much more athletic now than in 82. It looked like those 82 kids were playing about 1' below the rim. I remember in the mid 70's if a team had one kid that could dunk they were flying.
wooderson Wrote:Take out Joey Thacker and add Rod Spradlin and Kevin Rose and that was the starting lineup for EC that year. A very very very good team that peaked at the right time. Let me also add that Ive never played against a better group of guys. Class acts on the court. I think Tyler could very well be one of the most underrated players all time in the 15th.

Kevin Hunt was the other starter on that team, not Rose.

Elkhorn City won all three tilts in 1991. At Feds Creek, EC was down one with under a minute and Kevin Hunt stole an inbounds pass to dish to Conley for the winning layup.

At EC, the Cougars were down nine in the 3rd quarter before Joey Thacker hit back to back to back threes to give EC a lead it would never relinquish. I remember Rodney Fuller saying that Thacker hit the last one from Marrowbone.

In the district tourney, EC came from 14 back at halftime to win by 12. 76-64. Conley and Bailiff combined missed one shot from the field in the 4th quarter and Todd ended the night with 37 points, 15 boards and 10 rebounds. Bailiff had 18 and 12. Feds Creek stop running and EC had the size to make them pay for it in one of the better comebacks ever in the 15th.
play4pay Wrote:Kevin Hunt was the other starter on that team, not Rose.

Elkhorn City won all three tilts in 1991. At Feds Creek, EC was down one with under a minute and Kevin Hunt stole an inbounds pass to dish to Conley for the winning layup.

At EC, the Cougars were down nine in the 3rd quarter before Joey Thacker hit back to back to back threes to give EC a lead it would never relinquish. I remember Rodney Fuller saying that Thacker hit the last one from Marrowbone.

In the district tourney, EC came from 14 back at halftime to win by 12. 76-64. Conley and Bailiff combined missed one shot from the field in the 4th quarter and Todd ended the night with 37 points, 15 boards and 10 rebounds. Bailiff had 18 and 12. Feds Creek stop running and EC had the size to make them pay for it in one of the better comebacks ever in the 15th.

Those threes could be why I was thinking Thacker was a starter then. Anyway, those were some good games. Just as good as the old rivalry between Virgie and Pikeville in the PIT of old...ah, for another thread I guess.

I think consolidation of all the schools really hurt the atmosphere of the games. It has taken over ten years for the fans to really pack these gyms again. Granted, the gyms are larger, but I remember when I was little and nobody much cared about the fire marshal when it came to basketball. And, the ONLY place to be on a Friday night was in a gym watching the best of KY bball.
somewhere tonight in 1990, i was brought into this world....Big Grin Smile Smile
warriorpride Wrote:Yea I do too. The only person I can think that would have tapes could be either Coach Mccoy(UHA) Randy Fuller...? and maybe Geary Walton.

Heff Conley has some old tapes, I've watched them with him. I think his brother Dave has some too.