Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
South Laurels coach steps down
Multiple sources announcing that South Laurel's Chris Souder has stepped down as coach.
He took the job at Mercer Co.
(05-28-2024, 03:47 PM)Waitaminute Wrote: He took the job at Mercer Co.
Yes he did. The timing is bad but it happens. I know they were in the mix for a couple big name transfers(although one may have already moved on). Souders was one of the best girls coaches in the state he will do well at Mercer in a couple of years. But South shouldn't have any issues finding a suitable replacement--they are one of the best programs in the state with a ton of underclass talent.
(05-28-2024, 03:53 PM)shottaker23 Wrote:
Yes he did. The timing is bad but it happens. I know they were in the mix for a couple big name transfers(although one may have already moved on). Souders was one of the best girls coaches in the state he will do well at Mercer in a couple of years. But South shouldn't have any issues finding a suitable replacement--they are one of the best programs in the state with a ton of underclass talent.

I don’t think this job is that attractive honestly. Lost Mills to Knox, good young kids but they have to be tossed into the fire so developing them the right way will be hard. Still a good job but not a region power like it use to be 6 or 7 years ago.
(05-28-2024, 04:27 PM)GotYouInMyScope Wrote:
(05-28-2024, 03:53 PM)shottaker23 Wrote:

I don’t think this job is that attractive honestly. Lost Mills to Knox, good young kids but they have to be tossed into the fire so developing them the right way will be hard. Still a good job but not a region power like it use to be 6 or 7 years ago.
I respect your opinion but will disagree. Losing Mills is not that bad a loss considering how many shots she took a game(the majority of her points where against bad teams--struggled against tall guards) and size wise was a defensive liability. They have 2 of the top 10 players in the 13th that will be soph. Plus they are the last Ky program to beat Sacred Heart-top 4 in the state(I think) in overall championships. In the process of building a 2nd practice gymnasiums--def a attractive job. And been top 4 or better in the region the last 6 years.
South Laurel has some good talent and in that area there always seems to be movement and the ability to add new players. 13th is a good region for girls basketball and several tough teams. South Laurel has had a lot of players come and go during Souder's tenure. Talent is only as good as player/parent buy in within a program. I have seen up close parents within the program pushing for their kids to play certain positions that they are obviously not suited for. Obvious to everyone but the parents. Mills was 2nd on the team in FG%/3pt% so hard to argue with amount of shots taken.
Looking From a distance down the road Parents have def been a lot of the issue at South. Have had maybe 8 starter caliber players transfer out, although only 1 to my knowledge has improved their situation at the new school. Not arguing Mills abilities as she can shoot it well--just that losing Mills will not affect South Imop the way the previous commenter suggested. Just stating that history wise this is probably the premiere job in the 13th and a big portion of the state.
(05-28-2024, 05:53 PM)shottaker23 Wrote: Looking From a distance down the road Parents have def been a lot of the issue at South. Have had maybe 8 starter caliber players transfer out, although only 1 to my knowledge has improved their situation at the new school. Not arguing Mills abilities as she can shoot it well--just that losing Mills will not affect South Imop the way the previous commenter suggested. Just stating that history wise this is probably the premiere job in the 13th and a big portion of the state.

History wise, resources as far as school improvements I 100% agree with you that it is attractive on that. South is the type of program that they will survive no matter what player comes or goes but that being said their talent is super young. I’m just saying I think that fan base expectations is exactly what you said “last team to beat Sacred Heart” and they are really far from that group. I think 13th region wise yes they will always be in the hunt but for the next 2-3 years I think North and Knox are way ahead of them as the way things are right now.
Hearing south is losing another starter from last year who is switching to a school within the district. Also heard at the baseball championship Whitley is losing a key starter from last year. This will shake some things up when it happens.
Who is South losing?
(06-02-2024, 12:15 PM)DukeBoy Wrote: Who is South losing?
There not losing anyone other than the Mills girl which was already done a month ago from what I’ve been told. Sacred heart reached out about a player but they are staying put
Any new information on the potential hires fills this open spot?
(06-13-2024, 10:01 AM)da_dime Wrote: Any new information on the potential hires fills this open spot?
Hearing new coach in place by early next week.
[-] The following 1 user Likes shottaker23's post:
  • da_dime
Is Knox the team to beat in the 13th this year? I think they have most their players back and have added Mills.
(06-14-2024, 04:08 PM)LOOKAYANNER Wrote: Is Knox the team to beat in the 13th this year? I think they have most their players back and have added Mills.
Honestly I believe NL is the team to beat. I know Knox has struggled this summer. From what I've seen this summer chemistry is going to be a problem although that may work its way out. Have heard that Mills may return to South depending on the coaching hire or may even look at going to Corbin. Just rumors of course nothing is definate until it happens.
(06-13-2024, 11:59 AM)shottaker23 Wrote:
(06-13-2024, 10:01 AM)da_dime Wrote: Any new information on the potential hires fills this open spot?
Been hearing a handful of names although nothing concrete. A well known former Pikeville coach is what I had been talked about.  One of the more secretive hires I can remember in many years.
(06-16-2024, 07:50 PM)da_dime Wrote:
Been hearing a handful of names although nothing concrete. A well known former Pikeville coach is what I had been talked about.  One of the more secretive hires I can remember in many years.
As I have been told, it started with 5 names and is down to 2. Personally I would have a loved to have had Pville but I don't think she is seriously wanting to get back into coaching at this moment. I could be wrong. Expect a hire within 3 days from what I've heard.
Pikeville coach is good at getting talent in but not sure about that coaches X's & O's.  Pikeville is in a really weak region so not much to brag about winning that region.  They have been knocked out 1st round of state almost every year.  I have no idea who is in the running for the job would be a big change to go to the 13th region where there are usually 3-4 legit region contenders.  Pikeville's region rarely has anyone else that can contend.
(06-17-2024, 02:57 PM)UK1 Wrote:
Pikeville coach is good at getting talent in but not sure about that coaches X's & O's.  Pikeville is in a really weak region so not much to brag about winning that region.  They have been knocked out 1st round of state almost every year.  I have no idea who is in the running for the job would be a big change to go to the 13th region where there are usually 3-4 legit region contenders.  Pikeville's region rarely has anyone else that can contend.
There’s Sacred Heart then there’s everyone else.  Pikeville would beat any team in the 13th last year by 20.  Orem is a good coach.
(06-17-2024, 04:37 PM)DukeBoy Wrote:
(06-17-2024, 02:57 PM)UK1 Wrote:
There’s Sacred Heart then there’s everyone else.  Pikeville would beat any team in the 13th last year by 20.  Orem is a good coach.
Other than the 10 point loss they had to Corbin lol. Orem is a very good coach but don't get it twisted lol top to bottom the 13th is a much better region than the 14th or 15th.
New Coach from Indiana announced today. And from the list of applicants it was a very deep pool of candidates.
Coach they hired from Indiana has a controversial past. Google Tod Windlan and plenty of stories about his contracts not being renewed at multiple stops. Sounds like an old school coach that didn't always get along with parents or administrations. Nothing wrong with that, but definitely a high risk, high reward sort of hire for South.
(06-19-2024, 04:02 PM)dodger Wrote: Coach they hired from Indiana has a controversial past.  Google Tod Windlan and plenty of stories about his contracts not being renewed at multiple stops.  Sounds like an old school coach that didn't always get along with parents or administrations.  Nothing wrong with that, but definitely a high risk, high reward sort of hire for South.
Actually if you read the articles it appeared as though he was a victim of "little jenny doesn't play enough parents". No valid reasons given for release. Plays uptempo style will fit South well given how they played the last couple of years. No more controversy that any 20 year coach will have.
The Carmel situtation reads like that.  Spoiled rich brats most likely in that neighborhood.  The more recent, a different job every year and being released raises a few red flags.
[-] The following 1 user Likes dodger's post:
  • shottaker23
(06-19-2024, 06:09 PM)dodger Wrote: The Carmel situtation reads like that.  Spoiled rich brats most likely in that neighborhood.  The more recent, a different job every year and being released raises a few red flags.
Yeah the different jobs is definitely a red flag but otherwise as you said could be a homerun hire. Time will tell I guess.