Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Retro Night? Remembering Old Schools Who Were Victims of Consolidation
Read in today's (Friday, Sept. 28th) Herald-Leader that the old Trojans of Mount Sterling, who won a state football title in 1969, will be honored tonight during Montgomery County's game with Paris.

What I found interesting was that MC will be wearing replica jerseys of the Mt. Sterling Trojans during tonight's game. I think that's really cool - to see history remembered instead of forgotten because of consolidation.

The money for the jerseys was raised by selling sponsorships. According to the report from Mike Fields, people could buy a full uniform or just a jersey, helmet or pants. Many former players jumped at the chance to purchase the uniforms. Those who bought the uniforms will get the materials as keepsakes following the game tonight.

I think it would be fitting to see this happen at other schools. Let the football boosters solict local businesses for donations to purchases the jerseys, helmets & pants...Players wear them on homecoming night...Jerseys, helmets & pants are sold/auctioned off following the game to fans/alumni with the proceeds going to the boosters club.
Montgomery County won their "RetroNight" game against Paris tonight as well.
That'd be a really cool thing to put on. I like that idea. Especially having the uniforms auctioned to alumni and having the proceeds go to the boosters.
I was thinking about that with Letcher Central. How neat it would be to see them wear the Neon jerseys or Whitesburg jerseys 1 time each just for old times sake! And then auction them off. I would also love to see them play there scrimmage games at either Neon or Whitesburg every preseason at least once. Would love to see some pics of the uniforms from the game last night!
Thats a great idea PB5..and that was a great idea to bring back high school retro uniforms. How about East Ridge wearing the 1964 Elkhorn City state championship jerseys? How cool would that be?? But yeah, I thought that was the best idea Ive heard in a long time! High school throwback jerseys..awesome, lol..