• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Top 5 Team Winning Percentages 2010-2019
https://khsaa.org/records/football/fb10syearbyyear.pdf

#1 Mayfield (138-11): 92.6%
#2 Bowling Green (121-16): 88.3%
#3 Johnson Central (116-19): 85.9%
#4 Pikeville (104-30): 85.0%
#5 Belfry (122-23): 84.1%

Fredrick Douglass has a winning percentage of 87.5% (35-5), but they only have three seasons of play, so I didn't include them... gotta play the entire decade to be included.

Yes, the KHSAA has some errors in their calculations. The link above takes you directly to the page I got the info from, so if you are interested in your schools W/L percentage, you might wanna do the math your self.
I can attest that Johnson Central's W/L records & Winning percentage are accurate.
Pikeville is listed on the KHSAA's document with an 85.0% winning percentage when it actually should be 77.6%.
Check out my YouTube channel.
www.youtube.com/c/AlexGreenDifferentBreed
Of the 19 losses JC has in this time period.... Nine losses came to teams that ended up winning their state championship.

3 losses came in the 4A state finals (2015, 2017 & 2018).
3 losses came against Highlands teams that won state in (2010, 2011 & 2012).
2 losses came against Belfry on the 4-peat championship run in class 3A (2015 & 2016).
1 loss came against a 5A state championship winning Boyle County team (2010).

Out of 135 games played, JC has a 116-19 record.
11 regular season losses (Belfry x4, Ashland Blazer x2, Boyle County x1, Bell County x1, Perry Co. Central x1, Knox Central x1, Capital, WV. x1)
8 playoff losses. (South Warren x1, Franklin-Simpson x2, Highlands x3, Covington Catholic x2).

1 loss came on a neutral field.
5 losses came @ home in the regular season.
4 losses came @ home in the playoffs.
5 losses came on the road in the regular season.
1 loss came on the road in the playoffs.
3 losses came in the state finals.
Say what you will about "Mountain" football... but having three of the top five winning percentages from the 15th region is pretty incredible.

Two teams from Pike County..... is Pike County the football capitol of Kentucky?
Pikeville should be 105-29 (Fairview forfeit in 2012 is updated on the KHSAA schedule, but not their spreadsheet)

Winning percentage is also well off. 105-29 translates to 78.35%. Easy to tell, Belfry has more wins and fewer losses but has a lower %? lol

As much as I would love for Pikeville to be in the Top 5, 2010, 2012, and 2017 were too much of "rebuilds" to allow for it. However, winning 100 games in a decade is certainly a tremendous accomplishment for PHS.
Panther Thunder Wrote:Pikeville should be 105-29 (Fairview forfeit in 2012 is updated on the KHSAA schedule, but not their spreadsheet)

Winning percentage is also well off. 105-29 translates to 78.35%. Easy to tell, Belfry has more wins and fewer losses but has a lower %? lol

As much as I would love for Pikeville to be in the Top 5, 2010, 2012, and 2017 were too much of "rebuilds" to allow for it. However, winning 100 games in a decade is certainly a tremendous accomplishment for PHS.

I, myself, was wondering the same thing. How can Belfry have more wins and less loses than Pikeville but yet be ranked below the Panthers. Damn Johnson County math! Lol!

According to my math, going by the records Pulp posted:

Belfry - 0.841379 = 84%
Pikeville - 0.776119 = 78%

But I may be wrong.
Fellas, not sure how the KHSAA came up with their numbers.
Pulp Fiction Wrote:Fellas, not sure how the KHSAA came up with their numbers.

That's why you should always "fact check" my friend. Especially anything coming from the KHSAA!
Pulp Fiction Wrote:Say what you will about "Mountain" football... but having three of the top five winning percentages from the 15th region is pretty incredible.

Two teams from Pike County..... is Pike County the football capitol of Kentucky?

NO Title Town in Danville, Kentucky is!
Footballfan33 Wrote:NO Title Town in Danville, Kentucky is!

From 2010-2019.... here is a comparison between Pike County and "Title Town".

Pike County
Belfry: 122-23 (5 state championships)
Pikeville: 104-30 (2 state championships)

"Title Town"
Boyle County: 107-22 (2 state championships)
Danville: 88-41 (1 state championship)
All-Time
Danville and Boyle have combined for 19 State Championships. They have combined for 25 Finals Appearances.

Belfry and Pikeville have combined for 12 State Championships. They have combined for 23 Finals Appearances.

Past 20 Years
Danville and Boyle have combined for 11 State Championships. They have combined for 16 Finals Appearances.

Belfry and Pikeville have combined for 9 State Championships. They have combined for 14 Finals Appearances.

Past 10 Years
Danville and Boyle have combined for 3 State Championships. They have combined for 5 Finals Appearances.

Belfry and Pikeville have combined for 7 State Championships. They have combined for 11 Finals Appearances.

Population Wise:
Edge to Boyle County. Boyle has a much better ratio of Championships and Finals per capita. You also have essentially a county with only two football playing schools vs. a County with currently six football laying schools, where only two of which has ever reached the State Finals.

Conclusion:
Boyle County continues to remain the football capital of Kentucky. Pike County is definitely a hotbed and arguably the crown jewel of football in the Appalachian Region.
Pulp Fiction Wrote:https://khsaa.org/records/football/fb10syearbyyear.pdf

#1 Mayfield (138-11): 92.6%
#2 Bowling Green (121-16): 88.3%
#3 Johnson Central (116-19): 85.9%
#4 Pikeville (104-30): 85.0%
#5 Belfry (122-23): 84.1%

Fredrick Douglass has a winning percentage of 87.5% (35-5), but they only have three seasons of play, so I didn't include them... gotta play the entire decade to be included.

Yes, the KHSAA has some errors in their calculations. The link above takes you directly to the page I got the info from, so if you are interested in your schools W/L percentage, you might wanna do the math your self.
I can attest that Johnson Central's W/L records & Winning percentage are accurate.
Pikeville is listed on the KHSAA's document with an 85.0% winning percentage when it actually should be 77.6%.

Scott County is 115-23(83.3%)during this time with 10 of those loses being to Trinity, STX, Male, Cin.Elder, Cin.Moeller, Cin. LaSalle, that's a heck of a who's who in loses for a county school.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:All-Time
Danville and Boyle have combined for 19 State Championships. They have combined for 25 Finals Appearances.

Belfry and Pikeville have combined for 12 State Championships. They have combined for 23 Finals Appearances.

Past 20 Years
Danville and Boyle have combined for 11 State Championships. They have combined for 16 Finals Appearances.

Belfry and Pikeville have combined for 9 State Championships. They have combined for 14 Finals Appearances.

Past 10 Years
Danville and Boyle have combined for 3 State Championships. They have combined for 5 Finals Appearances.

Belfry and Pikeville have combined for 7 State Championships. They have combined for 11 Finals Appearances.

Population Wise:
Edge to Boyle County. Boyle has a much better ratio of Championships and Finals per capita. You also have essentially a county with only two football playing schools vs. a County with currently six football laying schools, where only two of which has ever reached the State Finals.

Conclusion:
Boyle County continues to remain the football capital of Kentucky. Pike County is definitely a hotbed and arguably the crown jewel of football in the Appalachian Region.
Give the Panthers and Pirates a few more years....those numbers could be much closer...
HAIL PIKEVILLE! Wrote:Give the Panthers and Pirates a few more years....those numbers could be much closer...

truth.
HAIL PIKEVILLE! Wrote:Give the Panthers and Pirates a few more years....those numbers could be much closer...

Got to also see what Haddix does at Boyle and what the next two years has in store for Danville as well. Clevenger is kind of ebbing and flowing with talent right now... but as we saw a couple years ago.. he has the potential to build them in a State Finals team as well.

Danville's history is undeniable Pre-2000.. but Boyle wasn't collecting Regional Finals wins... if you take collectively what Belfry and Pikeville did Pre-2000 it might not have as many titles or finals as Danville, but I would say there were overall more playoff wins and Regional Titles/Semi-Finals.

Regardless, this last decade has been unbelievable from Pike County.

If you asked me if a school could ever even see anything come close to what Boyle and Danville did from 2000-2009 (8 Titles, 3 Runner Up's), I would say we would never see anything remotely like that again from a rural County.

Belfry and Pikeville proceeded to go 7 Championships and 4 Runner-Ups between 2010-2019 (Darn you Central and your two last second wins or that 2018 Pikeville 21-20 loss).
If the KHSAA list is in order (regardless of mathematical correctness), it's interesting that there are at least 20 losses baked into to the JC/Pikeville/Belfry numbers just from playing each other. Without checking (as JC and Belfry didn't play each other a few years - not sure when), if Belfry played both Pikeville and JC each year, one of the teams had to lose. There's 20 losses right there. I'm not sure if Pikeville and JC played each other.
Hurricane Storm Wrote:If the KHSAA list is in order (regardless of mathematical correctness), it's interesting that there are at least 20 losses baked into to the JC/Pikeville/Belfry numbers just from playing each other. Without checking (as JC and Belfry didn't play each other a few years - not sure when), if Belfry played both Pikeville and JC each year, one of the teams had to lose. There's 20 losses right there. I'm not sure if Pikeville and JC played each other.
Pikeville & Johnson Central have not played since a 7 game series from 1971-1977.

The decade is over....
My Mayfield Cardinals only had 1 undefeated team for the decade, that is some kind of consistent. Previous decade was similar.
Panther Thunder Wrote:Pikeville & Johnson Central have not played since a 7 game series from 1971-1977.

You are correct, Pikeville does have a 5-2 lead over JC.
Since these games are more than forty years old & 1971 was JC's first ever actual football season.... it's not fair to compare these two programs nowadays.
1971 Pikeville 46-14
1972 Pikeville 75- 0
1973 Pikeville 38-21
1974 Johnson Central 7-6
1975 Pikeville 15-6
1976 Johnson Central 7-0
1977 Pikeville 26-0

Would be nice to see these two teams start a Home/Home series about once every 5-7 years.