Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Owensboro Catholic 56 Owensboro 45
Upset in the Third Region Tournament as this one goes final from the Owensboro Sportscenter. Congratulations to coach Tim Riley and the Aces. They'll square off with Martin County in the lower bracket.
Given what I know about both of these clubs, I would have to think that Owensboro Catholic is a more favorable matchup for Martin County given how much Owensboro would have tried to speed up the Cardinals.

Interestingly enough, Owensboro Catholic actually outscored Owensboro on the season (+95), but it's also fair to say that they played a much tougher schedule (out of region contests against three regional champs-- @Madisonville-North Hopkins, vs. Warren Central, and Elizabethtown at a neutral site), and you can't discount that, on the season, the Red Devils held opponents to fewer points (-141).

I still expect Owensboro Catholic to press Martin County and/or to otherwise attempt to speed up the tempo while on the defensive end, but I have a hard time seeing them having the ability to turn over the Cardinals in the same way that Owensboro would have been able to, which means fewer turnovers, fewer transition layups, and a decreased chance of runs that bury you.

That, and the likelihood that they use a more deliberate offense reliant on shooters in a big, unfamiliar arena in attempt to negate James' size makes this a much more winnable game for the mountain school. Nonetheless, Tim Riley knows a thing or two about winning in Rupp, and this one could go lots of different ways.