Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Estill County 69 Wolfe County 56
Final from Irvine. Wolfe never really was into it until the end of the 3rd amd somewhat in the 4th.

Got to get the bench into it. No support.
Not having Wilgus Tolson really effected The Wolves play. Estill has an excellent backcourt and without Tolson, they dominated.
Landon Napier (25) and Joe Benton (20) combine for 45 of Estill's 69 points.

Estill had 2 players with 10+ boards.

Tolson did not play for Wolfe. Averages 13 points a game.
Defense wins games.
Not taking anything away from Estill at all they very well might have won even with Wilgus playing but, Wilgus is a major piece to Wolfe. It would be like taking Benton or Long away from Estill. He averages 13ppg but more importantly he is the primary ball handler which frees Jaz up to play off the ball and look to score more. Again not saying Estill wouldn’t have won but it would have been a much closer game in my opinion. Good game for both teams heading towards post season.
Jo Jo the best player in the 14th
No doubt.. Wolfe not even close to the same without wilgus
Tolson also averages 8 to 10 assists a game and almost 5 rebounds. He also a great defensive player that leads the team in steals. He runs the Wolves offense so not having him was a real disadvantage for the team. He’s one of the top point guards in the region. That being said, Estill is very talented and with Tolson the game, could still beat the Wolves. I’d bet it would have been a much more competitive game though.
From what I seen, Wolfe's bench needs to be involved. No support for the starters or the ones on the floor.
Definitely gonna be an asterisk besides this game due to the fact of Tolson being out, but still showcased the defensive energy that the Engineers have. Benton had an off-night and still went for 20 and 11. Seems to be playing better than anyone in the region. Neither team may be the favorite, but both will be tough outs come tournament time.
I hope the Tolson kid is on the mend and is doing better. That flu is no joke.

Estill played well in spurts. Defensive was great in the first half and good overall for the game and held Johnson to a low shooting percentage other than the free throws.
Credit Wolfe for showing grit for cutting a 16 point 3rd quarter lead to 4. I thought Estill should have milked more time from the clock during that run. Seemed like they got caught up in Wolfe county's game and that is a trap at which they are very good at executing. Credit the coaching staff for several needed timeouts to settle the troops and credit the Engineers for taking that run on the chin without falling.
Estill showed versatility on the offensive side and hit most of the shots they should have and the big shots when they had to. Any of the Engineers that get minutes are capable of a big scoring night at any time. They have an arsenal and are led on the floor by a seasoned veteran that has no fear. Benton is the leader and his team has his back.
Nice win Estill. Respect is earned.
#clear the tracks
Reds#1Fan Wrote:Not taking anything away from Estill at all they very well might have won even with Wilgus playing but, Wilgus is a major piece to Wolfe. It would be like taking Benton or Long away from Estill. He averages 13ppg but more importantly he is the primary ball handler which frees Jaz up to play off the ball and look to score more. Again not saying Estill wouldn’t have won but it would have been a much closer game in my opinion. Good game for both teams heading towards post season.

With all due respect to this kid, he is a solid player, but saying it would be like Estill not having Benton (arguably the 14th Region POY) is absurd IMO.
Wolfe beat Estill earlier in the year with Wilgus Tolson. So, yeah I’d say not having him is like Estill not having Benton.
Congrats to Estill and hope Tolson bounces back after the flu. Wolfe is a solid team but enjoy watching Benton play the game. He' solid on both offense and defense. I look for both teams to be dangerous for any opponent in the 14th come regional time. It will be a very good 14th regional tournament with several teams very close and it will be a balanced regional.
jumpshooter Wrote:With all due respect to this kid, he is a solid player, but saying it would be like Estill not having Benton (arguably the 14th Region POY) is absurd IMO.

In their first meeting, Wilgus Tolson had 10 points compared to Bentons 8. With Tolson’s control of the offense, lockdown defense and quickness, he’s just as much a game changer as Benton.
Wolfeman Wrote:In their first meeting, Wilgus Tolson had 10 points compared to Bentons 8. With Tolson’s control of the offense, lockdown defense and quickness, he’s just as much a game changer as Benton.

You're comparing 1 game, and the first game of the season at that. Look at the total body of work. I have no idea what Benton averages per game, as the only stat that matters is wins a losses, but I will bet the house on it that its quite a few more than 13. Factor is assists, rebounds and length on the defensive end. Not really on the same level. Again, JMO. Their like butt holes, we all have them.
jumpshooter Wrote:You're comparing 1 game, and the first game of the season at that. Look at the total body of work. I have no idea what Benton averages per game, as the only stat that matters is wins a losses, but I will bet the house on it that its quite a few more than 13. Factor is assists, rebounds and length on the defensive end. Not really on the same level. Again, JMO. Their like butt holes, we all have them.
Benton is averaging 17 points per game compared to 13 a game for Tolson but he has put up 100 more shots than Tolson over the course of the season. I don’t have any doubt that if Wilgus Tolson had over 300 shots, he’d be averaging at least 17 points, if not more on the year. In my opinion, Tolson is just as good as Benton.
There is no way to argue ,for or against ,the impact of a player in a game that they didn't play in. Too many variables.

But to just say that he averages 13 per game and add those numbers in on top of the current total is bogus. Where do those extra shots come from?? Its worth mentioning that he had 10 points( 2 rebounds)and was 4 of 11 from the field the 1st matchup.
Where would the 11 shots come from in the rematch?? Because he played, Wolfe gets 11 extra possessions??
Estills offensive strategy is designed to limit the opponents possessions and work the ball to get a high percentage shot. Wolfe relys on getting more possessions than your opponents and more scoring opportunities.
If you are not getting more possessions then you have to shoot a higher percentage.
Wolfe did not shoot well overall. That was the difference.
# clear the tracks
I’d have to agree with you on that one. While Folsom would definitely have changed the game; it’s irrelevant just to tack someone’s average onto a game. Very hard to predict what someone will do against the stingy defense of Click or the relentless hustle from Isfort.
I agree there are too many variables. But, with Tolson in the game to run the offense, Wolfe gets better shot selection and scores more points. They force more turnovers and limit Benton to fewer points. You said the difference in the game was that Wolfe didn’t shoot well, and I say they’d shot better with one of the best point guards in the region on the floor.
[quote=Wolfeman]I agree there are too many variables. But, with Tolson in the game to run the offense, Wolfe gets better shot selection and scores more points. They force more turnovers and limit Benton to fewer points. You said the difference in the game was that Wolfe didn’t shoot well, and I say they’d shot better with one of the best point guards in the region on the

Perhaps.
Good luck the remainder of the season.
Maybe we will meet again.
jumpshooter Wrote:You're comparing 1 game, and the first game of the season at that. Look at the total body of work. I have no idea what Benton averages per game, as the only stat that matters is wins a losses, but I will bet the house on it that its quite a few more than 13. Factor is assists, rebounds and length on the defensive end. Not really on the same level. Again, JMO. Their like butt holes, we all have them.

They're**

:thatsfunn

I can't even use the right words anymore!
jumpshooter Wrote:They're**

:thatsfunn

I can't even use the right words anymore!

Better be glad this isn’t English Class, or we’d all be in trouble!! Haha

With all the discussion, I’d like to say that Estill is a real contender and should be one of the favored team to win the region. They are just as good as any team and I’d like to see them cut down the nets.
Wolfeman Wrote:Better be glad this isn’t English Class, or we’d all be in trouble!! Haha

With all the discussion, I’d like to say that Estill is a real contender and should be one of the favored team to win the region. They are just as good as any team and I’d like to see them cut down the nets.

Yes for sure! I feel the same about Wolfe. If they are hitting shots, they're tough to beat on a given night. Just like to see someone other than PCC, Hazard, KCC cut down the nets. It's about time Hazard and Perry draw each other in the 54th!
I would love to see Estill- Wolfe playing in the championship game in the 14th region. All home grown kids.
This is an interesting thread, mainly because both Estill and Wolfe (in my opinion) are very strong regional contenders - I think region is between them and Hazard or Knott (all about equal) while giving the nod to Hazard right now. So, i watched most of this game at lunch on the livestream recording on Bluegrass Sport Nation page, and looks like Wolfe battled back to within 4 points but couldn't hit some shots late and had to scramble and foul while Estill hit free throws and some jumpers, looked like a great game and a little closer than final score indicated. Benton and Napier played lights out for Estill, while Johnson shouldered the load for Wolfe with his backcourt partner Tolson not playing. I also looked at online stats and see that Benton has 33 more shots (not over 100)than Tolson (not counting last night), and Tolson does average almost 4 boards a game (which is a big stat) but doesn't lead team in steals but does lead in assist. So, what does all of that mean ? It just means that Tolson is a really good player and was certainly missed by Wolfe, no different than if Johnson had been out and Tolson played , team would have been very different and no different than if Hazard lost Pelfrey or Hall, or KCC lost McGuire or Napier, or Estill didnt have Benton or Long. What matters is who is healthy, playing well and focused during regional tourney - Still and Wolfe have proven they are teams that are very capable of winning it all, its going to be on of the best, and most evenly matched regional tournament in recent memory, in my opinion -
Hey wolfeman, must b some good stuff up in Wolfe county u smokin cuz u in la la land. You said “Wilgus is as good as Benton”. Bahhhhaaaaaaa lmfao. Yes Johnson pretty much nothin without him but cmon. Jo Jo hasn’t even taken his warmup off
BREWMASTER Wrote:Hey wolfeman, must b some good stuff up in Wolfe county u smokin cuz u in la la land. You said “Wilgus is as good as Benton”. Bahhhhaaaaaaa lmfao. Yes Johnson pretty much nothin without him but cmon. Jo Jo hasn’t even taken his warmup off

Now Brew Master, you been drinking to much of the batch. Tolson has just as much talent then Benton. He’s quicker and more skilled, he just needs a little more discipline, but that will come in time. He ain’t a hold back like most of these young ones now a days.
[quote=Wolfeman]Now Brew Master, you been drinking to much of the batch. Tolson has just as much talent then Benton. He’s quicker and more skilled, he just needs a little more discipline, but that will come in time. He ain’t a hold back like most of these young ones now a days.[/QUOTE

Holy s!it🤪🤪🤪 I do need to get to Wolfe cuz u really trippppin now🤷*♂️🤷*♂️. Yes Tolson is a very good point guard, but cmon🤦*♂️ u said Tolson quicker and more skilled then benton🤷*♂️