Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
3pt Line In High School Basketball
Since the NCAA is moving the 3pt line back,
what do you think about the high school 3pt.
line? Should it be moved back a foot or so
as well? Is the current line too close, too
easy a make?
IMO, the 3 point line is the worst thing to ever happen to high school sports. For all those who disagree (and I know most will) I will explain why. The 3 point line takes so much away from the development of a players game, all a player really wants to do is get out there and jack up 3 pointers, really when they need to be working on the basic fundamentals of basketball, practice their free throws and what not. Dont get me wrong theres a boatload of players who can shoot lights out from the 3, but like I have said in this statement it takes a ton away from the development of a player, and does making a 3 pointer make a player better? But to now answer the question, no they shouldnt move the line back, its a pretty tough shot in the first place so why make it any tougher than it already is, again all this is MO.
-STATS- Wrote:IMO, the 3 point line is the worst thing to ever happen to high school sports. For all those who disagree (and I know most will) I will explain why. The 3 point line takes so much away from the development of a players game, all a player really wants to do is get out there and jack up 3 pointers, really when they need to be working on the basic fundamentals of basketball, practice their free throws and what not. Dont get me wrong theres a boatload of players who can shoot lights out from the 3, but like I have said in this statement it takes a ton away from the development of a player, and does making a 3 pointer make a player better? But to now answer the question, no they shouldnt move the line back, its a pretty tough shot in the first place so why make it any tougher than it already is, again all this is MO.
Agreed, STATS. I'm kind of a big guy who should play in the post, and all I want to do is drain the 3. I'm not sayin I'm bad at the long bomb, but I haven't developed my low post skills because I work on my jumper all the time. lol
thecavemaster Wrote:Since the NCAA is moving the 3pt line back,
what do you think about the high school 3pt.
line? Should it be moved back a foot or so
as well? Is the current line too close, too
easy a make?

Yea i say move it back and would also like to see the shot clock
need a shot clock in high school.
3 point line needs to be taken out of high school basketball and by no means should there ever be a shot clock.
BLUEGRASS-RULES Wrote:3 point line needs to be taken out of high school basketball and by no means should there ever be a shot clock.

Take away the 3 point line??? While they are at it, just go ahead and bring back the 4 corners offense, short shorts, and Chuck Taylors.

Come on man. The game has changed. I even think the shot clock would be a good change.
rallo316 Wrote:need a shot clock in high school.

Haven't they been talking about that for years? I
I think the 3 pt line should be moved back and a shot clock added. If they take it away and by some luck a kid gets recruited to then how do you expect them to be able to perform at the college level if they aren't use to the range or the pressure of a shot clock?
Not so sure about taking away the 3-point line MY grandson likes to shoot about 3 or 4 ft behind that line. But I do wish he had developed a better inside game.Rolleyes
When Pitino coached his first team at UK,
his philosophy was sort of "why shoot a two,
other than a layup, when we can shoot a three."
Of coruse, that was a gimmick strategy because
we did not have much talent that year. Richard
Hamilton of the Pistons is a good example of how
a superb mid-range jump shot is STILL a valuable
asset to a quality perimeter player. I think
middle school and high school coaches need to
really stress and practice the pull up jumper
and not allow players to fall exclusively in love
with the three point shot.
The 3pt. line is perfect where it is! I would be in favor of a 45 shot clock, but I don't see it happening.
a shot clock would be a welcome addition. yes it would prepare high school players better for college and also make the high school games very exciting. the three point line is a must.
I agree that they should put in a shot clock, 45 seconds sounds pretty good. This would prevent teams from trying to hold the ball to kill the clock when ahead at the end of a game. It would also prepare them for games at the college level.

For anyone who thinks there shouldn't be a shot clock, why not? If you can't set your offense and get a shot off within 45 seconds, you don't deserve to score that trip down the court.
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
More Cowbell Wrote:I agree that they should put in a shot clock, 45 seconds sounds pretty good. This would prevent teams from trying to hold the ball to kill the clock when ahead at the end of a game. It would also prepare them for games at the college level.

For anyone who thinks there shouldn't be a shot clock, why not? If you can't set your offense and get a shot off within 45 seconds, you don't deserve to score that trip down the court.

I agree. Too many times have I seen an exciting ending adverted because the one team held the ball for 3 minutes the end of the game. 45 seconds is a very reasonable number too. Just think of how it would change the pace of the girl game.
Scotty doesn't know Wrote:I agree. Too many times have I seen an exciting ending adverted because the one team held the ball for 3 minutes the end of the game. 45 seconds is a very reasonable number too. Just think of how it would change the pace of the girl game.

I agree 100% with you.:Thumbs:
I don't think the three point line should be taken away but it should be moved back. Yes, there should be a shot clock in high school, but how do you expect to get every high school in the nation to get one?
NO SHOT CLOCK!!!!! Let these young boys enjoy high school ball. Also, keep 3-point line where its at.
The 3 point line better stay right where it is. The national 3 pt. % for HS is only around 30%. I also think that the 3 pt. line adds a lot of excitement to the game.
I don't think you will see a shot clock in the near future. Football will not install play clocks and they are used every play so there is no way that b-ball will adopt them....probably too expensive.
At the end of the day, it's about marketing and what makes the game more exciting.. thats what atracts sponsors and in turn pays for the program.
If you want to prepare for them for college then they should have a shot clock and move the 3 pt line back. IMO they should do away with the 3pt line in high school. It has destroyed a lot of players. I see kids now who hang around that line all game, and never learn how to play the GAME.
No way we should move the 3pt line back --- it's perfect where it is
Why should high school basketball emulate the college or pro game? If it isn't broke why fix it! A shot clock will not help basketball. Take a minute to watch how fast most teams take a shot and you will find that 90% of the shots taken are within 45 seconds. Going back to the three point line, it should be a part of the overall game of a player, not a limited strength. It is up to a player and a coach to refine other skills to make them a better overall player.
UKisN1 Wrote:Why should high school basketball emulate the college or pro game? If it isn't broke why fix it! A shot clock will not help basketball. Take a minute to watch how fast most teams take a shot and you will find that 90% of the shots taken are within 45 seconds. Going back to the three point line, it should be a part of the overall game of a player, not a limited strength. It is up to a player and a coach to refine other skills to make them a better overall player.

I can give you a good reason to put in a shot clock, to stop teams with the lead at the end of a game from trying to hold the ball with 3-4 minutes left on the clock. It is ridiculous to see a team try to play an updated version of 'keep away' for half a quarter, it makes a mockery of the game, and a shot clock would prevent that. They could still try to kill some clock by waiting until the end of the 45 seconds to shoot, but at least they would have to shoot.

Bottom line, if a team can't get a shot off within 45 seconds, they don't deserve to score with that possession. Now, what reason would there be to not have a shot clock?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
i think the shot clock is a good idea but i think that you will see more bad shots taken from young players
I like the 3 point shot but it has taken away the 15 foot jump shot from the high school ranks.
Grand Slam Wrote:i think the shot clock is a good idea but i think that you will see more bad shots taken from young players

I will agree that some bad shots will be taken initially, but I really don't see it having a big impact during most of the game since most teams get a shot off within 45 seconds anyway. The real difference will be apparent in end-of-game situations, where the team with the lead will not be able to try to hold the ball for 3 or 4 minutes.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I think the 3 point line should remain where it is now. If a player is good enough, and most of the time in this area not good enough to shoot from the college 3 point line, they they can always step back a step and let it fly. I dont think the percentage of shots is high enough to warrant moving the line back any farther than it already is. As for a shot clock, I think that would be a good idea. 45 seconds is longer than most teams run offense. I just wonder where the money would come from to retro fit all gymnasiums with one.