Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mark Starns new coach at Henderson County
There has been a press release in Henderson County. Congrats!!!!! I am sure you will do a superb job!!!!
Good Luck Coach.
Any ideas on a replacement? I'd like to see Coach Williams from Pikeville come down and fill the spot.
Mark Starns is a joke. He can't stay in one place too long because he doesn't know how to develop talent. He goes to places when they should win and then leaves when he can't turn talent into winners. He's indecisive and can't handle pressure.
GRIZZ Wrote:Any ideas on a replacement? I'd like to see Coach Williams from Pikeville come down and fill the spot.

I'd rather see Bart stay at Pikeville and keep building the great program he already has goin.
i guess everyone from central sees now what kind of man he is. worthless. also it doesnt matter who the next coach will be if they dont play the people that the board wants to play he will either have to quit or be fired. central is a joke what does this make the 8th coach in 4 years. lol lolSmile :lmao:
Johnson Central has to be one of the toughest (if not the toughest) place to coach in East of Lexington. And since the football program has finally taken off to satisfy certain folks who "control" the school, that means more pressure on whoever leads the basketball program - especially if they are not from this area and don't know the politics that surround school athletic programs in East Kentucky.

Good luck to Starns at Henderson County. He never looked happy in the few times I crossed his path in the media. Never looked comfortable because he wasn't totally in control - that was the impression I got.

Good luck to whoever takes over at Johnson Central. Hopefully, it will be somebody that can rise above the politics to win and has a tremendous amount of charisma/personality to win-over those who may come against him.
jammin' jamey Wrote:Johnson Central has to be one of the toughest (if not the toughest) place to coach in East of Lexington. And since the football program has finally taken off to satisfy certain folks who "control" the school, that means more pressure on whoever leads the basketball program - especially if they are not from this area and don't know the politics that surround school athletic programs in East Kentucky.

Good luck to Starns at Henderson County. He never looked happy in the few times I crossed his path in the media. Never looked comfortable because he wasn't totally in control - that was the impression I got.

Good luck to whoever takes over at Johnson Central. Hopefully, it will be somebody that can rise above the politics to win and has a tremendous amount of charisma/personality to win-over those who may come against him.
Partly true. The fact is,that the man was a blooming idiot when it came to everyday things involving common sense, and the fact that he could not carry on a sensable conversation with most folks was his biggest problem.
Mr.Kimball Wrote:Partly true. The fact is,that the man was a blooming idiot when it came to everyday things involving common sense, and the fact that he could not carry on a sensable conversation with most folks was his biggest problem.

I didn't want to be blunt...Smile
Mr.Kimball Wrote:Partly true. The fact is,that the man was a blooming idiot when it came to everyday things involving common sense, and the fact that he could not carry on a sensable conversation with most folks was his biggest problem.

PLain talk is easily understood.
jammin' jamey Wrote:Johnson Central has to be one of the toughest (if not the toughest) place to coach in East of Lexington. And since the football program has finally taken off to satisfy certain folks who "control" the school, that means more pressure on whoever leads the basketball program - especially if they are not from this area and don't know the politics that surround school athletic programs in East Kentucky.

To rise abaove the politics at JCHS you would have to do what Coach Starns has done, MOVE.
BlueBells Wrote:To rise abaove the politics at JCHS you would have to do what Coach Starns has done, MOVE.

Maybe there is some truth to that , but in all reality Starns caused about 90% of his own problems with his arrogance and his refusal to work and coexist with anyone, and I mean anyone. In his mind, he was going to rule all of Johnson Central athletics from the first day he got the job. That just didn't go over with most people. Those of you that post about this and that regarding this subject , need to really know 100% about what you are talking about before you start posting your comments.
valleyrules101 Wrote:i guess everyone from central sees now what kind of man he is. worthless. also it doesnt matter who the next coach will be if they dont play the people that the board wants to play he will either have to quit or be fired. central is a joke what does this make the 8th coach in 4 years. lol lolSmile :lmao:
I assume you are a Shelby Valley fan? With the little fiasco involving the ouster of Rodney Rowe (which was one of the best coaches in 15th region), I find it ironic (and very shortsighted) that you could possibly make your comments about anyone from anywhere else about politics concerning coaching changes.

If I am not mistaken Johnny Ray Turner was at the helm for about 10 years before he RETIRED, and Les Trimble was there for 5 years before he was asked not to return, and now Starnes has left after two years on his own accord. That makes only three different coaches in the last 17 years. Two of which left on their own accord for various reasons. That is a much better record of coaching longivity than most schools in the 15th region and eastern Kentucky.
Good luck coach. One thing I would like to point out is I don't think he is an arrogant person or a person that is hard to carry on a conversation with. Me and a few of my friends sat and talked to him for about an hour yesterday and he was one of the nicest people I have met. I think he could have done a really good job if he hadn't have been hounded so much. Good luck at Henderson Co, I think they got a good one.
villefan Wrote:Good luck coach. One thing I would like to point out is I don't think he is an arrogant person or a person that is hard to carry on a conversation with. Me and a few of my friends sat and talked to him for about an hour yesterday and he was one of the nicest people I have met. I think he could have done a really good job if he hadn't have been hounded so much. Good luck at Henderson Co, I think they got a good one.

I agree. The personal attacks on this man are uncalled for. I hope the folks at Henderson County appreciate what they have gotten.
SE04 Wrote:Im sorry guys but you can't coach off of a piece of paper. I've been involved/ around many basketball programs and it's just not something that can be accomplished. You can't go watch a team play the week before and make a game plan (plays and all), Everyone knows that you can't plan out a basketball game before it's played it's something that has to be done while it's being played.. Coach Starns was a decend person yes but the fact is his players couldn't stand him, and his students couldn't stand him. I was in HS when Johnny Ray retired and I was there when Les took over and coached the remained of my highschool career, both of these guys were well liked by both. It's pretty bad when the school has more basketball players in the hall way than on the court. I wish Starns the best where ever he goes but I hope he realizes he's not an assisant coach anymore it's time to put the paper down and show us what you can really do.
Dumbest post of the year...from what I could make out of it...doesn't make much sense!!
bball fan Wrote:Dumbest post of the year...from what I could make out of it...doesn't make much sense!!

Im sorry your a Starns fan. But I have never seen BMR coach from a piece of paper where he went and watched the team and made planned exactly what would happen in the game played against that team. I have never seen Nehi or Pup Miller do it either. My point is you can't coach a team from a piece of paper you have to coach it as it happens. Assistant coaches use a piece of paper, not head coaches!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen - Winston Churchill
I would say it is a good move for both players and coach, it seemed that there was several chemistry problems on and off the floor. He looked to have a hard time fitting in at Central and anybody new to Paintsville would considering all the politics to deal with at Central. And I agree with the last post the style of play was very dull to watch...I almaost fell asleep when Central and Paintsville played each other this season. But best of luck to Central on finding a new coach, and to coach Starns at Henderson hope things work out for both of them.
SE04 Wrote:Im sorry your a Starns fan. But I have never seen BMR coach from a piece of paper where he went and watched the team and made planned exactly what would happen in the game played against that team. I have never seen Nehi or Pup Miller do it either. My point is you can't coach a team from a piece of paper you have to coach it as it happens. Assistant coaches use a piece of paper, not head coaches!

So what you are saying is that coaches shouldn't have a game plan? That they should fly by the seats of their pants and just "coach it as it happens"? I take it you haven't coached before.
BballFan63 Wrote:So what you are saying is that coaches shouldn't have a game plan? That they should fly by the seats of their pants and just "coach it as it happens"? I take it you haven't coached before.

I think she may be saying that you can't plan for each thing that happens during the course of a game, at least that is what I hope she is saying. I will agree with you however, you do need a game plan of some type before you go into each game. For example, what defense will I play on a good 3-point shooter? How will I play a tall post player if none of my players are over 6'1"? Should I press this team that likes to run, or should I try to play slow?

On the other side of this argument, I have been around many college coaches and have seen many examples of scripting out your first 5-10 offensive sets that you will run at the beginning of a game/half. For example, when I was at Marshall, we usually had games on Saturday, Monday, and Thursday. Two days prior to the game we would have a brief scouting report of the team we were going to play at the end of our practice. The next day, we would spend 45 minutes to an hour at the end of practice reviewing the scouting report and running throught their plays. On games days we would have a 1:30 "walk-through" where we would once again go over the personel, their sets, and what sets we would run. Our head coach would then have a small "cue card" with the other teams tendancies, favorite sets, and personel to use during the game. When I say scouting reports, I mean a break down of the top 8-9 players on the opposing team (height, weight, school class, right/left hand, shooter, penetrator, good post player, strong, bad free throw shooter, power player, etc.). Each of the oppoents sets (seen in up to six different videos) were then broken down on a dry erase board and each of our starting five were required to know each of the opponents positions and keys that would signal the beginning of a particular play.

Just wanted to throw this in here to hopefully settle the argument!!!
No, I didn't mean he shouldn't have a game plan, I simply meant that he could not predict the game based on one he had see the other team play the week before ( which he did try to do). I know there should to be a game plan but the game plan should also change with each game because each team you face plays differently. What I'm trying to say is you can't coach a team from a piece of paper. You have to call the plays as they come.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen - Winston Churchill
SE04 Wrote:No, I didn't mean he shouldn't have a game plan, I simply meant that he could not predict the game based on one he had see the other team play the week before ( which he did try to do). I know there should to be a game plan but the game plan should also change with each game because each team you face plays differently. What I'm trying to say is you can't coach a team from a piece of paper. You have to call the plays as they come.

Good enought for me, I thought that is what you were trying to say!!!
Everyone has their own way of doing things and if he likes it so be it. I think J.R. should apply for the J.C. job, lol I'm only kidding.:p
villefan Wrote:Everyone has their own way of doing things and if he likes it so be it. I think J.R. should apply for the J.C. job, lol I'm only kidding.:p

I think he should also, I know of one board member who mentioned last time this job was open.
villefan Wrote:Everyone has their own way of doing things and if he likes it so be it. I think J.R. should apply for the J.C. job, lol I'm only kidding.:p

Why not apply? Why is that a joke? It could be a good move for both.
Guys, thanks for trying to put my name in the running, but it is just not something I am looking at right now. I have a brother going into middle school next year and how could I eventually coach against him, Coach Runyon, or the boys I have been with for the last four years?
J. R. VanHoose Wrote:Guys, thanks for trying to put my name in the running, but it is just not something I am looking at right now. I have a brother going into middle school next year and how could I eventually coach against him, Coach Runyon, or the boys I have been with for the last four years?

Don't look at it that way. Look at it as an opportunity for you. How could they fault you for trying to benefit yourself by getting some head coaching experience regardless of where it is?
BballFan63 Wrote:Don't look at it that way. Look at it as an opportunity for you. How could they fault you for trying to benefit yourself by getting some head coaching experience regardless of where it is?

They wouldn't fault me for trying this out, it is just not the situation for me at this time in my life!