Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
KY Schools Make MSNBC Top 1200 High Schools
There was a recent list made on MSNBC that ranked the nation's top 1200 high schools. According to their grading system, here's how Kentucky did:

DuPont Manual - ranked 112
Eastern High School - ranked 629
Dunbar - 629
Fort Thomas-Highlands - 778
Henry Clay - 898
Ryle - 934
Woodford County - 1076
South Oldham - 1131
Oldham County - 1175
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ComfortEagle Wrote:There was a recent list made on MSNBC that ranked the nation's top 1200 high schools. According to their grading system, here's how Kentucky did:

DuPont Manual - ranked 112
Eastern High School - ranked 629
Dunbar - 629
Fort Thomas-Highlands - 778
Henry Clay - 898
Ryle - 934
Woodford County - 1076
South Oldham - 1131
Oldham County - 1175
What criteria was used to rank them?
They came up with something called the "Challenge Index" which is basically rates each school's participation in AP, IB, and Cambridge tests.

They take the total number of AP tests taken each year and then divide them by the number of graduating seniors, so bigger schools would not have an advantage over smaller schools.

Their belief is that just taking the AP course and test is valid enough, none of the AP test scores were factored in. They said those who participated in AP courses, whether they passed the tests or not, learned a great deal more.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
But bigger schools do have an advantage because they can offer more AP/IB courses, and more sessions of each course that is offered where small schools can only offer 5-6 and ONE session of each leaving students unable to fit all they want into their schedule.
Beef Wrote:But bigger schools do have an advantage because they can offer more AP/IB courses, and more sessions of each course that is offered where small schools can only offer 5-6 and ONE session of each leaving students unable to fit all they want into their schedule.
You beat me to it....Bigger schools offer many more advanced classes because they have the resourses and personel that smaller schools don't have.
I really didn't see the point in arguing for the bigger schools at a disadvantage when Dunbar is on the list.
Plenty of people take AP classes and don't take the tests at all.

Yeah, I only took one AP test, but took 4 or 5 AP courses.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
On top of that, I took one AP course as a Sophomore, one as a Junior and 2 as a Senior.

So if they are only factoring in Seniors and assuming that only seniors take them, that would skew results too.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Who was number 1?
Here's a link to the list.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18757087/site/newsweek/

Talented and Gifted out of Dallas, Texas ranks as the #1 school.
ComfortEagle Wrote:On top of that, I took one AP course as a Sophomore, one as a Junior and 2 as a Senior.

So if they are only factoring in Seniors and assuming that only seniors take them, that would skew results too.

Same here CE. Also, the same with the point of taking quiet a few courses but I didn't take ANY AP tests.

East Ridge has a reallllly high success rate for AP English tests. It used to be at 100 percent but I'm not sure what it is now. We were featured in a publication. That just reminds me that I was it too and never got my copy. Kathy Spears is an amazing teacher.