Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Russell County open
Russell County is officially open, as of today.

Sharp(e?) had several years of really great results, but has also had some stretches where they were down. But, that's to be expected at a vast majority of public county high schools.

I'm sure they definitely have a list of their candidates, and I know who I would call if I were in their shoes.
would he leave Taylor County?
Willie Turnover Wrote:would he leave Taylor County?

IMO no.
Willie Turnover Wrote:would he leave Taylor County?

That would be my #1 name, but my #2 is someone no one on here would mention. Travis Gay, former coach at Adair. What he did there looks better the longer he’s gone, and he was an asst. at LWC for a few years and won a conference championship or two.

I don’t know if Foley would take it, although there is something about “coming home” for a lot of people. But if he doesn’t take it, my next visit would be right down the Cumberland Parkway. He’s still young (under 40) and had stayed in the area long enough to believe he’s not looking to jump up to a “better job.”
Travis Gay is a homerun hire for anyone. A Football guy that knows it. Eats it, drinks it and sleeps it. Super football coach.
My guess is Gay stays in the college game but would love him there.
zebra'seyes Wrote:My guess is Gay stays in the college game but would love him there.

He's not currently listed on the LWC coaching staff, and I believe he is currently just taking some time off and waiting for the right opportunity to get back into the game.

If the admin at Russell aren't making a call to him, they're missing out. I only have encountered him in passing and obviously couldn't speak for him directly, but I think he would at least be interested and willing to listen.
Is he still an assistant principal in the Adair school system?
zebra'seyes Wrote:Is he still an assistant principal in the Adair school system?

Yes. He's still the AP there at the high school. He makes all the sense in the world in a lot of ways.

His wife has been teaching at one of the elementary schools in Russell County for several years, his resume and track record is going to be as good (if not better) than anybody who applies for the job. He's top shelf when it comes to being able to communicate, motivate and connect with kids.

I think the biggest hurdle would be matching the $$$. However, I know Russell County has (or will be having) a central office/school admin position coming open that he is qualified for. Coach Sharp was the HFC/AP at the high school for some years before retiring from the education side of things, so you know that they allow coaches to also be administrators.
Burdine
64SUR Wrote:Burdine

Who?
TheHotSnakes Wrote:Who?

South Laurel's coach.
64SUR Wrote:Burdine

He brings an athlete with him.
No
Why don't they hire Phil RUSSELL. Heck they named the county after him, you would think they would hire him to coach their football team.
Willie Turnover Wrote:Why don't they hire Phil RUSSELL. Heck they named the county after him, you would think they would hire him to coach their football team.

You always make me laugh, thank you.
Willie Turnover Wrote:Why don't they hire Phil RUSSELL. Heck they named the county after him, you would think they would hire him to coach their football team.

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
Ryan Richardson is the new coach
zebra'seyes Wrote:Ryan Richardson is the new coach

Who is Ryan Richardson and what's his background?
papagrit Wrote:Who is Ryan Richardson and what's his background?

From Russell County, played there, has assisted Coach Sharp over the years both at the high school level and was also the MS head coach for some time.
Fly Like a Duck Wrote:From Russell County, played there, has assisted Coach Sharp over the years both at the high school level and was also the MS head coach for some time.

Thanks for the reply! Sounds like a logical hire.