Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Johnson Central 34 Belfry 21
Someone tell me please, who knows both teams and was there, how much the starters played? Who did each side rest? Typically in the past when I have watched this game, both sides tend to rest players for the playoffs and never show too terribly much offensively. Yes it is a great game, but have we ever honestly seen how good this game could be if it was to be played in the Pike County Bowl or the Apple Bowl?
bball_fan Wrote:Someone tell me please, who knows both teams and was there, how much the starters played? Who did each side rest? Typically in the past when I have watched this game, both sides tend to rest players for the playoffs and never show too terribly much offensively. Yes it is a great game, but have we ever honestly seen how good this game could be if it was to be played in the Pike County Bowl or the Apple Bowl?

I was there. As far as Belfry is concerned, all of our starters that were healthy played the entire game. We had 3 starters out with injuries. Our starting FB Hensley, starting DE/TE Grayson Cook, and our "All World" stud defensive player and backup FB Brett Coleman were all out. We were playing our 3rd string FB, Kyle Webb, last night who I thought did really well. Also, I think right before half or just after halftime we lost our Senior LB Austin Fields with an ankle or knee injury, not sure which. That's all I know that we had out. As far as JC, I'm not sure but I think they were like us. If they were healthy they played and played the whole game. But you'll have to let a JC follower answer that one for you to get an accurate answer. We didnt rest anybody. Like I said, if they were healthy and able to play, they played. The 3 that we did have out on defense absolutely crushed us on that side of the ball. Not saying we would have won the game, not saying that at all, but they are 3 of our best defensive players and we really missed them last night. Against other teams we can afford to play without them but not against a team like Johnson Central.
bball_fan Wrote:Someone tell me please, who knows both teams and was there, how much the starters played? Who did each side rest? Typically in the past when I have watched this game, both sides tend to rest players for the playoffs and never show too terribly much offensively. Yes it is a great game, but have we ever honestly seen how good this game could be if it was to be played in the Pike County Bowl or the Apple Bowl?

Both teams played there starters the whole game. JC put some JV kids in the last drive but they mostly played their starters.
MayfieldCardinal Wrote:Johnson is the King of the Hills and maybe Kings of the state. Good win over a great team

They will have to beat the king in order to be the King. FS is still the champ!

This continues to be one of the biggest fallacies each and every year. As for Belfry, I have never known them to "rest" a player for the playoffs. Ever. Show me one example. Injured players not available, yes. Showing precaution for a previous injury, such as Coleman this year, yes. Healthy players with no reason to hold out but rest, no and never. Both of these teams want to win this game bad. Several Belfry players had been sick with cold or flu-like symptoms all week and they played. BTW, this is not just a response to you bball, so I am not jumping on you, but it seems to come up every year. Btw, just as background, I have watched every game and every snap since these two teams resumed their series in 2007.
Mcats10 Wrote:They will have to beat the king in order to be the King. FS is still the champ!
FS was the 2017 champ and they have to make it back to this year's title game to be the 2018 champ, as does Johnson Central. If both teams make it back to this year's title game, then I like JC's chances because of their much stronger regular season schedule. The second best team in 4A this season may be Ashland, although like FS, the Tomcats have played a very weak out of district schedule.

Playing Belfry just before the playoffs and avoiding any season-ending injuries in this game is great preparation for a state title run - for both teams.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:FS was the 2017 champ and they have to make it back to this year's title game to be the 2018 champ, as does Johnson Central. If both teams make it back to this year's title game, then I like JC's chances because of their much stronger regular season schedule. The second best team in 4A this season may be Ashland, although like FS, the Tomcats have played a very weak out of district schedule.

Playing Belfry just before the playoffs and avoiding any season-ending injuries in this game is great preparation for a state title run - for both teams.

I agree I think their schedule will pay off. They’ll def be fighting for a title. They are just so strong running the ball, teams know it’s coming and it’s still hard to stop. I don’t believe Ashland is 2nd though. I wouldn’t want to have to play a rolling JC team.

Belfry, if- that’s IF- they heal up, will suprise a lot of people on here. They are one of the most if not the most physical football team in 3A. They have solid LBs which don’t get a lot of credit. I’ve mentioned it before. They shed blocks going to the ball like their life defends on it. They also have the speed to take one to the house at anytime. Their pass D is getting better. I wouldn’t say it’s great but it’s good. I think them not having the pass rush they usually have puts more strain on the DBs than they’re used to. Everyone is saying LC will give them a game. I don’t think so. It won’t be a running clock. But they will handle them if healthy. If they are 100% I look for them to give Boyle more than they want. And that goes back to them playing a tough schedule and being ready and prepared for it.
Hound05 Wrote:I agree I think their schedule will pay off. They’ll def be fighting for a title. They are just so strong running the ball, teams know it’s coming and it’s still hard to stop. I don’t believe Ashland is 2nd though. I wouldn’t want to have to play a rolling JC team.

Belfry, if- that’s IF- they heal up, will suprise a lot of people on here. They are one of the most if not the most physical football team in 3A. They have solid LBs which don’t get a lot of credit. I’ve mentioned it before. They shed blocks going to the ball like their life defends on it. They also have the speed to take one to the house at anytime. Their pass D is getting better. I wouldn’t say it’s great but it’s good. I think them not having the pass rush they usually have puts more strain on the DBs than they’re used to. Everyone is saying LC will give them a game. I don’t think so. It won’t be a running clock. But they will handle them if healthy. If they are 100% I look for them to give Boyle more than they want. And that goes back to them playing a tough schedule and being ready and prepared for it.

I agree with all this. I think they handle Garrard fairly easy. Then LC is a game with both teams causing the other problems for awhile with Belfry winning in the 35-21 range. Boyle will be a favorite and deservedly so. Belfry will have to play disciplined and prepared and take care of the ball. They have the talent to play with Boyle,no doubt, but their margin of error is small and they cannot afford to give up a lot of big plays for scores early. Get late into the third and into the fourth tied or ahead and you have a chance. I have found over the years a key to upsetting a favoriite is to put them into positions they are not used to. Pressure builds and mistakes can be made that in a close game can make a difference. On Boyle's behalf, championship teams of their caliber are normally built to withstand mistakes or not make the big one. In other words, you throw an INT then you get it back next drive or have a quick 3 and out. I know a Belfry/Boyle atmosphere would be phenomenal at the CAM.