Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scott County 77- Madison Central 66
This was the best game I have seen this year, by far. Strategy played a huge part for both teams. Feldhouse’s plan was to go inside to Cozart every trip down the floor. Hicks’ plan was to put as much pressure on the Central guards as possible. Central guards are suspect ball handlers and they have no bench. Hicks also brought Moreno outside a lot in the 2nd half to bring Cozart away from the lane so the SC guards could penetrate. Hicks also sped MC up by running the break at every opportunity as well as turning them over on defense.

The game was won in the 3rd quarter when SC out scored MC by 14 points. Moreno did a great job on Cozart.

Let me tell you Cozart is a MAN. Western got a good one. Overall, both teams, especially Cozart and Moreno played great. It was quite a battle down low.

Now the bad, the 9th region officials were horrible. Several calls were comical at best and larceny at worst. It’s been a long, long time since I have complained about officiating, but I don’t feel I could accurately describe the game without at least mentioning it.
Great game report, rojas. It sounded like a great game.
Interesting stats:

* Madison Central has not beaten Scott County since 2006, 13 years. Several of those games have been in the 11th Region Tournament.

* Scott County's pressure forced Madison Central into 30 turnovers, Scott County scored 39 points off those turnovers. Over half of Scott County's points tonight came off forced turnovers.

* 5'7" Diablo Stewart Scott led county with 24 points on 9 for 15 shooting, 3 assists and 3 steals.

* Madison Central led 33-30 at the half. The pressure broke the Madison Central guards down in the 3rd quarter. At the end of the 3rd, Scott County led by 11.

* Coach Billy Hicks said the 3rd quarter onslaught was the result of rest breaks each Scott County starter got during the first half. Madison Central's bench is thin so they didn't have the luxury of resting starters during the first half.

* Madison Central out-shot Scott County 55% to 45%. But, Scott County put up twice as many shots.

* Moreno finished with 15 points, 8 rebounds, 2 assists and 2 blocked shots. More importantly, he was a defensive presence on Cozart. (Who was the Bluegrassrivals poster that said Moreno wasn't close to ready to play and he couldn't see Moreno getting much done in the post-season?)

* Cozart finished with an impressive 19 points, 13 rebounds and 7 blocked shots.
rojas Wrote:This was the best game I have seen this year, by far. Strategy played a huge part for both teams. Feldhouse’s plan was to go inside to Cozart every trip down the floor. Hicks’ plan was to put as much pressure on the Central guards as possible. Central guards are suspect ball handlers and they have no bench. Hicks also brought Moreno outside a lot in the 2nd half to bring Cozart away from the lane so the SC guards could penetrate. Hicks also sped MC up by running the break at every opportunity as well as turning them over on defense.

The game was won in the 3rd quarter when SC out scored MC by 14 points. Moreno did a great job on Cozart.

Let me tell you Cozart is a MAN. Western got a good one. Overall, both teams, especially Cozart and Moreno played great. It was quite a battle down low.

Now the bad, the 9th region officials were horrible. Several calls were comical at best and larceny at worst. It’s been a long, long time since I have complained about officiating, but I don’t feel I could accurately describe the game without at least mentioning it.

You won't find a better officiating crew in the state. Didnt see the game, so Im not commenting on that but those 3 officials are some of the best in the state. All 3 have championship experience. The state can't provide a better crew than that, hands down.
Ref Devil Wrote:You won't find a better officiating crew in the state. Didnt see the game, so Im not commenting on that but those 3 officials are some of the best in the state. All 3 have championship experience. The state can't provide a better crew than that, hands down.

If that's the case, this state is in serious trouble with officiating. Lol.
Ref Devil Wrote:You won't find a better officiating crew in the state. Didnt see the game, so Im not commenting on that but those 3 officials are some of the best in the state. All 3 have championship experience. The state can't provide a better crew than that, hands down.

They had a horrible game last night. I've seen about 50 high school games this year. Last night was easily one of the worst two games officiated games I have seen this year.
[quote=Ref Devil]You won't find a better officiating crew in the state. Didnt see the game, so Im not commenting on that but those 3 officials are some of the best in the state. All 3 have championship experience. The state can't provide a better crew than that, hands down.[/QUOTE

you must be one of those officials cause I saw the game and there were things going on in that game that would land you in jail and they weren't called which kill Central!!!!!! They were awful at best
By far the most physical high school basketball game i have ever seen. Scott County's pressure in the 3rd was for sure the difference. Thought #11 (I think that was his number) for Madison Central played hard but was beat to death on that press. Stewart quick, quick is all I can say. A lot of calls wasn't made that could have been made and that went in favor of Scott County. Will be back at EKU Friday night for what should be a great night of basketball.
Crap, final 4 is Wednesday night, I'll be back Wednesday then Confusednicker:
Hicks made no secret of his game play. The following is his quote to a reporter two days before the game: Hicks said. “That's a good match-up for us. They don't really have great guards, so we can try to get after them.”
If Madison Central was in any another region , they would be in the State Tournament.
There was some banter on twitter about the refs letting this game get really physical, to the point of almost being out of control. Is this true?
The Eagle has landed Wrote:[quote=Ref Devil]You won't find a better officiating crew in the state. Didnt see the game, so Im not commenting on that but those 3 officials are some of the best in the state. All 3 have championship experience. The state can't provide a better crew than that, hands down.[/QUOTE

you must be one of those officials cause I saw the game and there were things going on in that game that would land you in jail and they weren't called which kill Central!!!!!! They were awful at best

I promise you that Im not one of those officials but I do know them. Ive worked with them a few times over the years and have seen them work alot at the state tournament. Im retired now. I didnt see the game, so I can not comment on that. Was just stating that they are good officials.
The game reminded me of street ball at the park, I have never seen refs let kids play like that to me it was very enjoyable to watch, refs today will call a foul if someone breaths on someone to hard. They let both teams play, you almost had to tackle someone to get a fouled called. The replay of the game should be on Youtube if anyone doesn't believe what we are talking about
Scott County is too deep and too skilled. I was impressed by the physical play of both teams. SC weathered the storm and demonstrated late why they will be the last team standing.
Go Blazers Go Wrote:There was some banter on twitter about the refs letting this game get really physical, to the point of almost being out of control. Is this true?

They let them play for sure, I loved it!
Big Daddy Bull Wrote:The game reminded me of street ball at the park, I have never seen refs let kids play like that to me it was very enjoyable to watch, refs today will call a foul if someone breaths on someone to hard. They let both teams play, you almost had to tackle someone to get a fouled called. The replay of the game should be on Youtube if anyone doesn't believe what we are talking about

This conversation actually took place when the teams came out to warm up for the second half.

Official to coach: "Coach you have to set down the second half."
Coach: "No I don't. There is no rule that says I have to set down and coach."
Official: "Yes, there is."
Coach: "You show me a rule that says I have to set down the second half. I haven't received a technical foul."
Official, about 3 minutes later: "Coach, I was wrong. You don't have to coach setting down the second half."
Big Daddy Bull Wrote:The game reminded me of street ball at the park, I have never seen refs let kids play like that to me it was very enjoyable to watch, refs today will call a foul if someone breaths on someone to hard. They let both teams play, you almost had to tackle someone to get a fouled called. The replay of the game should be on Youtube if anyone doesn't believe what we are talking about

Where can i find it on YouTube? What account? Would like to see it.
Ref Devil Wrote:Where can i find it on YouTube? What account? Would like to see it.
just go to you tube and type in madison central vs scott co
This "let them play" theory with refs calling games is absurd. The thought should be "call it consistently"

If refs would consistently call all the fouls then players and coaches would learn what they are allowed and aren't allowed to do and fewer fouls would be committed and called. The NBA fixed this years ago by calling almost all "hand" contact. Now you see virtually no hand-checking/hand contact.

Refs I know say it would be much easier to call games like this instead of the "gray area" way that it's called now. Nobody know what is a foul and what isn't.
It's not on youtube. I think they only did the broadcast of the LCA game
Go Blazers Go Wrote:It's not on youtube. I think they only did the broadcast of the LCA game
it was on you tube earlier today. I watched part of it
Go Blazers Go Wrote:It's not on youtube. I think they only did the broadcast of the LCA game

In the search box on YouTube, type in WBON-TV and scrolled down until you see it. Was not on Prep Spin
Thanks guys. Found it. Alan Cutler. yeesh
I've finished the first half. The refs should be embarrassed at how they called that half. An absolute brawl. Call the fouls and the kids will stop pushing. The way they called that REALLY benefited Scott County because of their pressing and attacking style defense.
I am not a fan of bully basketball, but the number of fouls called by 13th region officials is off the charts compared to those in Central and Northern Kentucky. Way too many calls and impacts the flow of the game. Unfortunately, it has been that way for decades and would take several years to get the area used to anything else. Certainly creates a problem when 13th Region teams have to compete with teams outside of area.
I have no problem with "letting them play." I enjoy a game where a whistle is not blown every 30 seconds. Last nights game was much better to watch than a recent game I saw where defense was not allowed. My complaint with the officiating last night was, (1) the inconsistency. If it's a foul on one end of the floor it should be a foul at the other end and (2) the crew had the slowest 5-second count I think I have ever seen. I like defense. The 5-second count is my favorite call in basketball. This crew almost refused to call it.

But as far at them "letting them play." I loved that.