Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Freshman Football Question
I have a good friend who has a grandson who plays freshman football for Beechwood. Last Thursday night the Tiger's freshman played Dixie Heights freshman team. My friend said that Beechwood brought down 10-12 JV players to play Dixie's only freshman team. Beechwood only has about 12-15 freshman, Dixie had about 30 or so. I understand the situation the Tigers are in, and my friend said his grandson didn't get into the game or for that matter hardly any of the freshman tigers didn't get into the game until the 4th quarter, and that the JV players played almost the whole game against Dixie's freshman only squad. I guess my question is, shouldn't the freshman be playing against the freshman, and if you need a JV player here or there, that's fine, but to play all the JV kids against Dixie's freshmen seems a bit Busch league to me. Would like your guys opinion on this matter, and what you would think if your son's were a freshman standing on the sidelines, during the freshman game, watching the JV team play against a freshman only squad. BTW my friend said Beechwood won 27-12, if you really can call that a win. My friend said the Dixie coaching staff was none to happy about how the game played out, to be honest, can't blame them.:dontthink:dontthink:dontthink
The thing is, there aren't really any rules that dictate who does or doesn't play in the games. I've seen a glorified freshmen team play as a JV team, which ended up getting a lot of teams that were "JV" but were basically the entire varsity roster except for a few of the main varsity players (QB, RB, etc).

Too many people place too much emphasis on what is essentially a practice game. And that's why teams will bring in ringers from their higher level teams.
I understand, but if I'm a freshman parent, and grandma, and grand paw show up to watch a freshman game, and their grandson doesn't get to play in a freshman game, because the team is playing almost all JV players, I'm sorry that's wrong, and I'd be upset at the coach for allowing that to happen. It makes that team look like a bunch of horses behinds. Shame on Beechwood, poor sportsmanship in my opinion.
Tiger Roar Wrote:I understand, but if I'm a freshman parent, and grandma, and grand paw show up to watch a freshman game, and their grandson doesn't get to play in a freshman game, because the team is playing almost all JV players, I'm sorry that's wrong, and I'd be upset at the coach for allowing that to happen. It makes that team look like a bunch of horses behinds. Shame on Beechwood, poor sportsmanship in my opinion.

There's not really that much anyone can do about it. There's no real way to regulate it. It does suck for the players on the opposing team, but there really isn't any way to prevent it, aside from just making sure to schedule people who follow agreed upon team setups.
Freshman and JV games only serve to educate younger players. Integrate them into the program and measure talent and ability. All non-varsity scheduling can be difficult at best. Schools dropping freshman teams all over regardless of class. If the JV schedule lacks then yes....they get the minutes. They are closest to providing Varsity manpower. The JV roster therefore trumps the freshman in such games. It all builds to the varsity level. As stated earlier, its essentially a practice game of no merit. Sorry Grandma, little Johnny will get his chance if he can play as a sophomore.
Beechwood is a great program. This has nothing to do with sportsmanship. Its about winning. Beechwood has proven there formula over and over.
I think the freshman games have transitioned into more of a "fresh-more" type of thing across the state anyway. Some of the sophomores that need developed play some freshman games while some of the better freshmen play "up" on JV. It only makes sense to me. Why leave a sophomore in limbo for a year while a freshman starts over him on JV? This way both kids are challenged and developed. It helps the program in the long run.
Freshmen should play freshmen or the game should be cancelled imo. JV is a little more of a crap shoot. 90% freshmen and sophomore and 10% junior...but none of the players should see a lot of PT on varsity.
Different schools have different objectives for JV and freshmen games. As long as each school is meeting their objectives and being honest with the opposing school it is what it is.
A few of you are missing the point here. I know for a fact NKY has a freshman only league. Schools like Beechwood and a few others have freshman , but allow a few JV kids, to help complete the freshman squad, in order to play freshman games. My point here is Beechwood shouldn't have brought down 10-12 JV kids to play in a freshman game, when Dixie is playing all freshman, and then have Beechwood have it's freshman stand on the sideline and watch a freshmen game. BTW, Beechwood has played JV games every Sat. according to the KHSAA. You guys on here that are all about the winning thing, must not have had any kids to have ever played sports. I agree it's about players playing to get better, but what's the point of Soph. and JR. beating up on freshman? Some of you guys need to check yourselves and go buy a clue. This is high school football and the development of young men, not the NFL. I can't believe anybody on this board thinks it's OK for JR's to play against Freshman, in a freshman game, and to even make this look worse, come to find out from my friend, 2 or 3 of the JV players from Beechwood are getting Varsity playing time as well, this truly is pathetic if in fact that's the case. Shame on Beechwood, that's dirty pool, and poor sportsmanship if you ask me.
Clearly we have different perspectives. I have a sophomore starting QB at a 6A program. Last year he was better than the JV starting Qb as a freshman. But he didn't hardly get a minute of JV football. Why? Cause that kid needed a chance to develop and improve. Coaches at single A schools have very difficult jobs. If they truly have Juniors playing in a freshman game, guess what? That kid is never playing a meaningful minute Varsity football at Beechwood. Getting reps is his reward for gutting it out and working hard. Maybe as a senior he'll get some mop up time at the varsity level. Coaches have very tough decisions regarding playing time.

BTW - Every year freshman play against Seniors at 1A schools. Its unavoidable. Its small school football. I would reiterate Beechwood is not being unsportsmanlike. They are just making the best of what they have.
First congrats to your son, but again 2 or 3 of the JV players from Beechwood are getting Varsity playing time. All 3 of these players will in fact start varsity next season, so much for your, " They will never play a down of varsity football theory." This is a clear case of do whatever it takes to win, at whatever cost, small school or not. BTW Beechwood could probably beat most of the bigger schools up in NKY as well. Your single A theory doesn't work @ Beechwood, small school yes, football players pay to play for Beechwood.
If there are multiple guys who are above the generally accepted competition level, who are going to be for sure starters on varsity the next year, I have no problems with them playing in as many games as they can. Those are free reps outside of practice. Those are a valuable thing for players on any level, period. Come next season, those are important to have.
Tiger Roar Wrote:First congrats to your son, but again 2 or 3 of the JV players from Beechwood are getting Varsity playing time. All 3 of these players will in fact start varsity next season, so much for your, " They will never play a down of varsity football theory." This is a clear case of do whatever it takes to win, at whatever cost, small school or not. BTW Beechwood could probably beat most of the bigger schools up in NKY as well. Your single A theory doesn't work @ Beechwood, small school yes, football players pay to play for Beechwood.

You are absolutely clueless.
1. Which Juniors played? (NONE)
2. Dixie AGREED to a Frosh-More game--otherwise it wouldn't have happened. No coach from Dixie was mad, angry or under the impression that this was a FRESHMAN GAME ONLY.
3. Dixie also had Sophomores playing (I have a relative who plays for Dixie who played ... and is a Sophomore).
4. Numerous Beechwood Freshman played EARLY (I was actually there).
5. At last count Beechwood has either 12 or 13 freshman ... no where near enough to account for all the snaps plus a safety factor.
6. Lets be honest ... your name is "TigerRoar" ... yet you "I have a good friend who has a grandson who plays freshman football for Beechwood". It sounds like you are a little disappointed that someone a little closer isn't getting as much playing time as you think.
7. Beechwood hasn't played a JV game every week (and for the record .. there is no where on the KHSAA website that would tell you that anyway).
8. Quite a few Beechwood sophomores were limited to a set number of plays (a very LOW number) ... to ensure their health and to ensure that the freshman play counts were not drastically impacted. Again ... I know that to be fact and I actually watched it with my own eyes.

According to your OWN WORDS ... you heard this from a friend who is the grandfather of a player. According to your words ... that doesn't means that you really don't know .. and you were most likely not there (I actually think that you were ... and you just don't want anyone at Beechwood to realize that you are complaining).

Before you come on to a messageboard and spout off a bunch of lies .... PLEASE ... spend a few minutes and do some fact checking. And let me say this ... I did ... and I know how things run.

If you don't like how things are going ... why don't you give the Freshman coach a call ... or better yet ... call Coach Rash and see what he has to say before you spread lies and untruths all over the internet. (And no ... I am not holding my breath there).
I'm not getting in a P%ssing contest with you, but it's clear you are a protector of the program, which is fine, but real quick your lies right out of the shoot. Dixie had exactly zero soph on it's freshman roster, and no soph played for Dixie in the game, would love to here who your relative is, complete lie. Secondly, Beechwood's #9 is in fact a Jr. As for you numerous freshman played early for Beechwood, just on special teams. I'm done here, high school football has become a complete joke at this point, with fools like this who think it's Ok for this to happen.
KHB that was the message board equalivent to a Rear Naked Choke.....😃
or untrue facts! Protect the program at all cost! CFJ.
If Beechwood only has 13/14 freshmen it sounds like they either need to give them playing reps on the JV or pull up some 8th graders.

We get freshmen teams cancelling all the time vs us (Boyle), it sucks but is the nature of the business...not everyone can field a team.

I will say that if Dixie KNEW Beechwood was playing the older kids, there isn't much to say about it. Talk to the coaches and express your displeasure.

On a side note...once they knew older kids were playing it is the coaches discretion on who is ready/safe to play in the game. So the mistake isn't that some younger kids aren't playing, the mistake is accepting the game in the first place.
Don't worry TR everyone will get a trophy..
It's clear the Beechwood protectors of the product can't see the forest for the trees. My main point in this whole things is these freshman players practice all summer long too, and it's not there fault their numbers are low, but you would think if you're a freshman and play on a freshman team, and are playing a freshman squad in Dixie, you'd get to play in a freshman game, most of the game, period end of story. I do agree score doesn't matter, but how are these freshman going to get better watching JV players go against other freshman players, and vice versa how does this make Beechwood's JV players better playing freshman, it's like going out on halloween and taking all the little kids candy, great job guys. Pathetic!
Still waiting on that Soph. name who played on Dixie's freshman team. What's that, you made it up, because it fit your argument, yeah that's what I thought. Complete liar.
Tiger Roar Wrote:It's clear the Beechwood protectors of the product can't see the forest for the trees. My main point in this whole things is these freshman players practice all summer long too, and it's not there fault their numbers are low, but you would think if you're a freshman and play on a freshman team, and are playing a freshman squad in Dixie, you'd get to play in a freshman game, most of the game, period end of story. I do agree score doesn't matter, but how are these freshman going to get better watching JV players go against other freshman players, and vice versa how does this make Beechwood's JV players better playing freshman, it's like going out on halloween and taking all the little kids candy, great job guys. Pathetic!

Lets go ahead and clear up a few more things since we are talking about "truth".

1. I am not a protector of the program. I am a protector of the truth ... whether you agree or disagree ... I actually know. You assume. You, yourself, said that you HEARD about this from a friend who is the Grandfather of a player. You don't even freaking know for sure what is going on because you HEARD (again .. that is what you said ... NOT ME).
2. It is obvious that you HEARD ... because anyone who has been to a Beechwood freshman game or JV game knows that any high school kid that plays does not wear their varsity jersey. They wear the old high school jerseys that they use for practice (some of which have been around for 10 years or more). I understand where that could get you confused ... but the real number 9 has not, is not and will not play in a freaking freshman game.
3. There were quite a few Dixie sophomores who played who were NOT listed on the freshman roster (the same as Beechwood sophomores are NOT listed on the freshman roster).
4. I want to restate this point ... DIXIE AGREED to this arrangement as I have outlined.

From there ... hey ... guess what ... I get your point. But the problem is ... you have come on to a message board under the preface of "you heard". That says that you didn't know it to be true with your own with your own eyes ... but that someone told you. Well ... guess what ... whoever grandpa is ... some of his facts are not really facts. At the same time ... I understand why grandpa would believe some of the things that you mentioned. I have clarified those items.

Seriously though ... what do you hope to accomplish by coming on here and testing out things that you "heard" (pretty sure that backfired in your face)?

Why don't have Grandpa call the Head Freshman Coach ... or Coach Rash ... both are good guys who will take Grandpa's concerns seriously. I doubt you will ever do that .... but you will probably find a little more information there then by throwing up lies and hoping they stick on a messageboard.
Tiger Roar Wrote:Still waiting on that Soph. name who played on Dixie's freshman team. What's that, you made it up, because it fit your argument, yeah that's what I thought. Complete liar.

Liar? I am not the one who posted a whole list of lies.

I have no problem posting the name of my relative ... providing you post Grandpa's name so I can have a conversation with him to ensure that he understands what we are trying to do.

You post it ... I will post my relative (yeah ... lets bring kids name's into this ... REAL CLASSY!). I also have a relative that played on the NCC freshman team ... is that a lie too?

Seriously ... quit hiding behind your computer and actually try to solve the issue instead of lying yourself.

Yeah ... Grandpa told you ... like that wasn't a lie.
Classic, just like I thought, your relative doesn't play on the freshman Dixie team, thanks. Noticed no response on #9 playing JV, who does play in Varsity games for Beechwood, protect the product at all cost. I'm done with this, liarbilly.
This has taken a really confusing turn.
Beechwood and Mayfield have set the bar for small school dominance in Kentucky. 50 yrs of tradition and culture to achieve championships. To question those methods, insinuate irresponsible leadership and poor sportsmanship on this board was never gonna fly. 80% of posters are diehard KY high school football historians. Respecting of great programs and understanding how they got to the top. Varsity is all that matters. Everything else is just practice. If the 9th grade player feels left out, unappreciated and is truly unhappy. Then Beechwood is probably not the place for him. Perhaps the writing is on the wall that he may never get to the varsity field. If he's happy, working hard and likes his coaches then all is good. Parents and grandparents need to back off. Leave the coaches alone and let the player learn valuable lessons about life. Its not fair......and never will be.
Tiger Roar Wrote:Classic, just like I thought, your relative doesn't play on the freshman Dixie team, thanks. Noticed no response on #9 playing JV, who does play in Varsity games for Beechwood, protect the product at all cost. I'm done with this, liarbilly.

Clown ... 9 does play JV ... doesn't play frosh-more (pretty sure that was addressed?). There are definitely some kids who play JV and get some Varsity snaps (the freshman are also moved up there ... and they get extra snaps there as well .... but you probably don't like that either).

Whether you like it or not ... there is a concerted effort to keep things as even as possible. It isn't ideal ... but there are NO JUNIORS playing freshman or frosh-more games.

Please try and pay attention.

Protect the house .... hmmm yep ... as long as that means telling the truth.

I notice that you didn't mention Grandpa's name either .... that makes you a complete liar as well. Everyone here knows it was you ... and you didn't have the courage to come out and say it was you. Like I said ... post it ... or better yet .. PM me with Grandpa's name ... and I will be more than happy to send you my nephews name and I picture of him/me together.

Better yet ... get Grandpa and all 4 of us can sit down to a nice dinner and discuss truth and your fiction.
Jackson Purchase Wrote:Beechwood and Mayfield have set the bar for small school dominance in Kentucky. 50 yrs of tradition and culture to achieve championships. To question those methods, insinuate irresponsible leadership and poor sportsmanship on this board was never gonna fly. 80% of posters are diehard KY high school football historians. Respecting of great programs and understanding how they got to the top. Varsity is all that matters. Everything else is just practice. If the 9th grade player feels left out, unappreciated and is truly unhappy. Then Beechwood is probably not the place for him. Perhaps the writing is on the wall that he may never get to the varsity field. If he's happy, working hard and likes his coaches then all is good. Parents and grandparents need to back off. Leave the coaches alone and let the player learn valuable lessons about life. Its not fair......and never will be.

Say it again for the people in the back....

Beechwood seems to be doing something right with their program, so I'm not going to put them down in the slightest.

And I'm not a Beechwood fan. I actually don't even think I've ever been around the school. I'm not really one to frequent NKY.
Jackson Purchase Wrote:Beechwood and Mayfield have set the bar for small school dominance in Kentucky. 50 yrs of tradition and culture to achieve championships. To question those methods, insinuate irresponsible leadership and poor sportsmanship on this board was never gonna fly. 80% of posters are diehard KY high school football historians. Respecting of great programs and understanding how they got to the top. Varsity is all that matters. Everything else is just practice. If the 9th grade player feels left out, unappreciated and is truly unhappy. Then Beechwood is probably not the place for him. Perhaps the writing is on the wall that he may never get to the varsity field. If he's happy, working hard and likes his coaches then all is good. Parents and grandparents need to back off. Leave the coaches alone and let the player learn valuable lessons about life. Its not fair......and never will be.

Great post!