Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ryle 49 Highlands 27
Ryle lost most of their team from a 12 and 1 team last year. Highlands can't stop anyone. Cov Cath beat Ryle 49 to 17. Coach so far hang his hat on beating a Cooper team that might not win a game and a lucky win in OT against Campbell County. And of course the killing last week of 71 to 20 loss to Scott County
Congrats to Ryle
What had happened to the Birdies?
I thought this one would be a lot closer
Keep playing them one way. And this happens
So who on offense makes that defense better?
For the record I thought Hhs was much improved from last year. To be honest it looks like they are not putting the off season time in the weight room. They have athletes but they lack thickness of someone who lifts hard. I say this knowing nothing about their off season program or attendence. Just an observation of bodies on the field. You win in the weight room and show on the field how hard you have worked.
Fear the Nation Wrote:For the record I thought Hhs was much improved from last year. To be honest it looks like they are not putting the off season time in the weight room. They have athletes but they lack thickness of someone who lifts hard. I say this knowing nothing about their off season program or attendence. Just an observation of bodies on the field. You win in the weight room and show on the field how hard you have worked.

Its been brought up the last two off seasons that its a concern. I dont know why they just spend tons of money on a new weight facility.
There's at least 5 that could play on defense. But are they in shape to go both ways? That's the coaches fault.
plantmanky Wrote:Its been brought up the last two off seasons that its a concern. I dont know why they just spend tons of money on a new weight facility.

When has Highlands in the last 20 or so years had guys that looked like weight lifting machines on the field. They have always had nice athletes that were "quick" and most importantly had a ton of heart and desire. That is what is really missing from the head coach all the way down to the last guy on the bench.
mantax Wrote:When has Highlands in the last 20 or so years had guys that looked like weight lifting machines on the field. They have always had nice athletes that were "quick" and most importantly had a ton of heart and desire. That is what is really missing from the head coach all the way down to the last guy on the bench.

That may have worked I.e. Being quick and efficient when Ky football was not very good. That may work with lower tier teams. Kids are lifting harder and putting more time on being quicker, STRONGER athletes. Just being quick isnt enough any more. Why do you think HHs had trouble tackling Chisolm. How much time do you think he spends in the weight room? Chisolm and England squat 480 and 450. One can bench 300 the other 235. Those are the RB's. The game has changed. Quick will get you a big play here and there. The rest of the game it gets you pushed around and a D that can't stop anyone. Just my opinion.
I agree. Highlands lifts weighs. But not as much as seeing how fast you can run 10 yards.
Fear the Nation Wrote:That may have worked I.e. Being quick and efficient when Ky football was not very good. That may work with lower tier teams. Kids are lifting harder and putting more time on being quicker, STRONGER athletes. Just being quick isnt enough any more. Why do you think HHs had trouble tackling Chisolm. How much time do you think he spends in the weight room? Chisolm and England squat 480 and 450. One can bench 300 the other 235. Those are the RB's. The game has changed. Quick will get you a big play here and there. The rest of the game it gets you pushed around and a D that can't stop anyone. Just my opinion.

So did the game change that much in the last 2 or 3 years? I do not think so. Didn't Highlands just win a state title back in 2014 under this philosophy? Believe they player an 8A team from Florida that year to a very tight game and also played Elder that season as well. I believe it was around that time that Ryle dropped Highlands as well. Not buying what you are selling my friend. Ryle was successful the last few years because they had a D1 QB. They are not going anywhere this year either. Not sure they can beat Simon Kenton and may not even beat the Camels this week.

Just my opinion on things.
mantax Wrote:So did the game change that much in the last 2 or 3 years? I do not think so. Didn't Highlands just win a state title back in 2014 under this philosophy? Believe they player an 8A team from Florida that year to a very tight game and also played Elder that season as well. I believe it was around that time that Ryle dropped Highlands as well. Not buying what you are selling my friend. Ryle was successful the last few years because they had a D1 QB. They are not going anywhere this year either. Not sure they can beat Simon Kenton and may not even beat the Camels this week.

Just my opinion on things.

No dog in the fight. HHS can continue on this path. It's got your butts whipped all over the place for the last three years. Hoge covered up for the last winning team, he was an exceptional HS player. Without him, your D1 QB, that team was a failure also. I'm not selling anything, trying to field 22 positions with 22 receivers isn't going to win you many games anymore. It shows up in your run game and especially on D. How long before HHS drops Ryle. When HHS wasn't on Ryles schedule I do believe that we were playing Colerain, St. francis Desales, Sycamore. I don't believe our schedule was weaker without HHS.
Fear the Nation Wrote:No dog in the fight. HHS can continue on this path. It's got your butts whipped all over the place for the last three years. Hoge covered up for the last winning team, he was an exceptional HS player. Without him, your D1 QB, that team was a failure also. I'm not selling anything, trying to field 22 positions with 22 receivers isn't going to win you many games anymore. It shows up in your run game and especially on D. How long before HHS drops Ryle. When HHS wasn't on Ryles schedule I do believe that we were playing Colerain, St. francis Desales, Sycamore. I don't believe our schedule was weaker without HHS.

Really? I believe that HHS was a state semi-finalist just 2 short years ago. Hardly call that get butts whipped. And Ryle got manhandled by Colerain, Sycamore and St. Francis DeSales. Highlands was very competitive in games with Elder and Christopher Columbus. If Highlands not winning state for 2 plus years is a failure then does that make the Ryle program a failure for all of its years of existence. Keep telling yourself that Ryle is a BIG time program and I am telling you it is not.

I was at the game on Friday and came away unimpressed with Ryle outside of Chisholm. It will be real interesting to see how the season progresses for them going forward.
mantax Wrote:Really? I believe that HHS was a state semi-finalist just 2 short years ago. Hardly call that get butts whipped. And Ryle got manhandled by Colerain, Sycamore and St. Francis DeSales. Highlands was very competitive in games with Elder and Christopher Columbus. If Highlands not winning state for 2 plus years is a failure then does that make the Ryle program a failure for all of its years of existence. Keep telling yourself that Ryle is a BIG time program and I am telling you it is not.

I was at the game on Friday and came away unimpressed with Ryle outside of Chisholm. It will be real interesting to see how the season progresses for them going forward.

Ryle was not the unimpressive team on Fri.
What ever has happened to Charlie22, wackem n stackem, sstack, big bad bird, bird-this, bird-that, etc, etc, etc?
mantax Wrote:Really? I believe that HHS was a state semi-finalist just 2 short years ago. Hardly call that get butts whipped. And Ryle got manhandled by Colerain, Sycamore and St. Francis DeSales. Highlands was very competitive in games with Elder and Christopher Columbus. If Highlands not winning state for 2 plus years is a failure then does that make the Ryle program a failure for all of its years of existence. Keep telling yourself that Ryle is a BIG time program and I am telling you it is not.

Actually we beat Desales. Why do HHS supporters always refer to the past when talking about the present? We are not talking about 2000??? We are talking this year which is a repeat of last year. The past means zilch in HS football. Past titles do not automatically get you a pass on this years performance. whatever AL Bundy.
Bob Seger Wrote:What ever has happened to Charlie22, wackem n stackem, sstack, big bad bird, bird-this, bird-that, etc, etc, etc?

Have not been on here much lately, girls are in college now and busy following them. I have been to two games this year but not to the Ryle game. They do look better this year but have a ways to go still. Remember people where saying this was still going to be a down year. Am I questioning the coaching?, yes; the play calling on offense is very questionable, no changes in D even when they are not stopping anyone, are the right players being put on the field? You can see some younger talent in soph class and junior class has some talent, but they are missing the top talent that was there during the long run. QB play has been way down and is making a huge difference, and have not had a good RB for a while now. HHS has always played bend but don't break D and it worked when the offense was putting up huge points on the board, but the last two years the O is not putting up the points and feel you need to adjust the D. Any team w/a good QB and WR can go right down the field on Highlands because they play 8-10 yards off the WR every down, and throw in the difficulty stopping the run and other teams are going to put up big numbers. When a top team takes a down turn like this people are going to come out from all over to take joy in their struggles and that is understandable and expected. What makes me laugh is that people are acting like Highlands program is dead and will never win again. Highlands is top academic school in state and that will always draw families and athletes because of that, and if this coaching staff does not start winning, I am sure a change will be made. You can't win every year, Highlands had an amazing run and some people have had a hard time accepting a losing year/years. They will be back on top at some point.
Hearing a lot of rumbling about potential coaching change in near future at Highlands. Can someone closer to the program comment? Any truth? Just nasty rumor?
OutlawJoseyWales Wrote:Hearing a lot of rumbling about potential coaching change in near future at Highlands. Can someone closer to the program comment? Any truth? Just nasty rumor?

If you are a coach at HHS and not winning you will not be there long. It was well documented that these were going to be down years so I think current coaching staff will get a little longer chance to prove themselves. The problem is that they are not just losing but getting embarrassed, which has a lot of people concerned w/current coaching staff. I would never want to be the one to replace a coaching legend.
Nope not following Mueller. When you're nothing like him. And don't have the ability to make team adjustments with what you have.
This thread is comical to say the least.