Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Owsley vs Powell 1/27
Lets hear it
Owsley by 12+.
Young owls have been playing well. Powell has no answer for Gibson.
Said on the radio that Powell won again. They must have had some answer for Gibson.
I thought they only beat them the first time because owsley's guard didn't play.
Did she play tonight?
Owsley is not a top 10 team in this region. They have just played a really weak schedule
If they really have the best player in the region in Gibson. How can they not be a top 10 team in a down year in the 14th region?
I think you answered your own question.
14th region fanman Wrote:If they really have the best player in the region in Gibson. How can they not be a top 10 team in a down year in the 14th region?
Because the next two best scorers are 8th graders and another 8th graders plays a lot of minutes off the bench. They also play a couple of 9th graders. Simply put it's a very young team other than Gibson who is a junior. She's basically playing with kids that would normally be playing mostly JV ball but are forced into a varsity role due to the need. That happens sometimes at small schools with barely over 200 students in the high school.

The younger players are doing OK for kids of their age but older and more experienced teams take advantage of their youth by using a full court press for most games and causing turnovers. It is what it is. A lot of the opponent's main offense vs Owsley is their points off turnovers through their defense.

The one good thing about this season is every player returns next year. With a year of varsity behind them the younger players should be much better for the 2017-18 season, Gibson's last year.
LOOKAYANNER Wrote:Because the next two best scorers are 8th graders and another 8th graders plays a lot of minutes off the bench. They also play a couple of 9th graders. Simply put it's a very young team other than Gibson who is a junior. She's basically playing with kids that would normally be playing mostly JV ball but are forced into a varsity role due to the need. That happens sometimes at small schools with barely over 200 students in the high school.

The younger players are doing OK for kids of their age but older and more experienced teams take advantage of their youth by using a full court press for most games and causing turnovers. It is what it is. A lot of the opponent's main offense vs Owsley is their points off turnovers through their defense.

The one good thing about this season is every player returns next year. With a year of varsity behind them the younger players should be much better for the 2017-18 season, Gibson's last year.
This is really spot on, Owsley has a good team they are just really young. Few on team including Gibson was battling through illness to even play so she was not 100%. Taking nothing away from Powell but Owsley continues to beat themselves.
Streetoutlaw Wrote:Owsley by 12+.
Young owls have been playing well. Powell has no answer for Gibson.

That's very understandable about them being young.
It's just street outlaw is always saying things like this about the Owls and Gibson.

The first time Powell beat them, it was because Gibson fouled out and owls guards didn't play.

And this time they play. Powell was gonna have no answer for Gibson. Like Powell's post players were no match for Gibson. Lol
Gibson is really good but Dakota Brown from Powell has more than held her own in both games they have played head to head this year.
14th region fanman Wrote:That's very understandable about them being young.
It's just street outlaw is always saying things like this about the Owls and Gibson.

The first time Powell beat them, it was because Gibson fouled out and owls guards didn't play.

And this time they play. Powell was gonna have no answer for Gibson. Like Powell's post players were no match for Gibson. Lol
Gibson is really good but Dakota Brown from Powell has more than held her own in both games they have played head to head this year.

I don't know who street outlaw is but it's possible some of the players or relatives are on here posting, and some things posted are just out of love and loyalty for the team and county. I don't pay much attention to that sort of thing. It happens in a lot of these type threads with all schools. No big deal.I'm sure they're well meaning and trying to pump up the team for the next contest.

LOOKAYANNER Wrote:I don't know who street outlaw is but it's possible some of the players or relatives are on here posting, and some things posted are just out of love and loyalty for the team and county. I don't pay much attention to that sort of thing. It happens in a lot of these type threads with all schools. No big deal.I'm sure they're well meaning and trying to pump up the team for the next contest.

I don't think its this at all, maybe outlaw just knows what the teams potential is and they just aren't playing to meet those expectations. I will admit I expected and 10+ victory for Owsley but thats why we play the games, you just never know which team will show up and that can be attributed to the youth. As a fan you go into every game expecting to win thats just how it is. I expected UK to beat Tenn by 20+ last week but guess what folks that didn't happen. I'm confident, just like outlaw, that Owsley can play with just about anyone they go up against, its just a matter of putting together a full game on their part. If you don't like that then I'm sorry but thats just our opinion.

As for the game Gibson picked up 2 early fouls and forced Owsley to sit her for most of 2nd quarter allowing Powell to build a small lead and get momentum in game. Brown and Powell took full advantage of her sitting on the sideline. Once again youth shows for Owsley with Gibson not in the game because she is the teams go to. Powell won the game on the offensive glass, got put back after put back.
Taking nothing away from Gibson, watched her for 4 years now. She is a beast and deserves any props that she gets.

What team do you support fan man or are you one of those that doesn't support anyone just injects their opinion on everyone else. I don't really understand your comment all I stated was a prediction and a reason for it. I support Owsley and am not going to pick against them in a district game. Especially a game they probably should win. If you watched the game you would realize that Powell doesn't have an answer for Gibson. They doubled and tripled her all night. Coaches from Powell have respect for her in doing that. My post had nothing to do with brown. She's a good player and played well both times against Owsley. Like or not Gibson is the best player in this region.
As for the game Owsley continues to struggle with youth and putting it all together. As above was stated Owsley battled through sickness and foul trouble to play Powell a close game on their floor. You will change your tune if Owsley puts it together which could happen anytime.
I support Wolfe County. Born,raised,work in Wolfe. Got to know Dakota when she lived in Wolfe County and know her dad very well as he works in Wolfe County. So I try and follow how she is doing.
Not trying to inject my opinion on everybody. Just stating that in the first game that Powell won you stated that Powell won because of foul trouble and someone not playing.
And who knows why Powell won this game. I guess fouls and sickness.
That's part of being a good player is staying out of foul trouble. If you are of great value to your team you have to be smarter when you pick up one or two fouls. And when you get 4 you really have to be smart and make sure you don't foul out.

I followed Kendall Noble for years in this region and she knew once she got 1 or 2 fouls she couldn't reach she couldn't charge she couldn't go over the back. That's part of being the best player in the region.

Not taking anything away from Gibson she is a great player very well may be the best in the region. But you answered your own response. They have no answer for her. If they are double and triple teaming her. That is your answer for her I guess. Nobody is gonna play here 1 on 1. Every teams answer will be to double her I'm sure.

Just my opinion. When Wolfe County loses a game boys or girls. It's not because of fouls or sickness or because they are young. It's because we didn't play well and we lost. No excuses we lost.
Not sure it's making excuses more than it is just saying that foul trouble and illnesses helped contribute to Owsley struggling a bit. Take the illness and foul trouble out does that change the outcome? No one will ever know. Just ask Estill about last night's game with Lee and I bet they will say that missing Treadway with illness really hurt them.
Everybody is biased toward their team,and that's the way it should be. As far as players I know Proffitt is the best in the mountains now I know I'm biased but I got the numbers to prove me out. I'm not going to try and change outlaw or boogie's mind cause they know they are right too. That's what makes it fun to discuss.
In my opinion Owsley is playing this year about how I expected. I knew they were going to be very young with the exception of Gibson, and had a big learning curve thrust on them while most are still in middle school. I think they're playing as hard as they can but more experienced and older players are simply taking advantage of their youth. It's a big difference going up against other middle school teams and being successful than it is in going up against older varsity players. Huge difference. I'm still proud of their heart and desire to win, and I think the future looks very bright for the Owsley County girls program.
LOOKAYANNER Wrote:In my opinion Owsley is playing this year about how I expected. I knew they were going to be very young with the exception of Gibson, and had a big learning curve thrust on them while most are still in middle school. I think they're playing as hard as they can but more experienced and older players are simply taking advantage of their youth. It's a big difference going up against other middle school teams and being successful than it is in going up against older varsity players. Huge difference. I'm still proud of their heart and desire to win, and I think the future looks very bright for the Owsley County girls program.

I've heard Owsley has a good middle school team and RW Combs is the best in Perry co if this is true they should play next season
I keep hearing Gibson to Pcc next year? Probably no truth in it, but people in Hazard are saying it!
Hearing the same rumor about Gibson. People are saying her to PCC is a done deal
Surprised Gibson and Kash didn't end up together.
I wouldn't hold my breathe on that. She will be at Owsley. She gets all the exposure she wants playing in summer for Kentucky Premier.
I do wonder when the KHSAA will wake up and regulate the recruiting going on at some schools that will remain nameless.
Last year it was kcc, this year it's pcc. Same crap different year.
I've known Gibson and her family for a long time. This family understands loyalty, friendship, commitment and community. They are great people and loved by their community. I will be shocked if she is anywhere other than Owsley. Some things in life are more important than jumping your child from her home town to another school just to win a few more basketball games.
Big Hammer Wrote:Everybody is biased toward their team,and that's the way it should be. As far as players I know Proffitt is the best in the mountains now I know I'm biased but I got the numbers to prove me out. I'm not going to try and change outlaw or boogie's mind cause they know they are right too. That's what makes it fun to discuss.
profit is the best player!! Her numbers show it an her supporting cast is pretty weak!! One really good freshmen guard ! A bunch of freshmen who will be good with another year in highschool an one very inexperienced senior! If they mange putll off the region maybe some of these basketball bennnies will give her some credit!!!
hillbilly cat Wrote:profit is the best player!! Her numbers show it an her supporting cast is pretty weak!! One really good freshmen guard ! A bunch of freshmen who will be good with another year in highschool an one very inexperienced senior! If they mange putll off the region maybe some of these basketball bennnies will give her some credit!!!
Inexperienced senior haha, Thats still better than 3 inexperienced 8th graders, come on guy.
How do I know Profitt is the best player??? She had a winning season at JBS last year. The same team is 4-16 now. She is top of the state in scoring. Over 85% from free throw.. Over 50% from three... And now, more importantly, on the favorite to win the 14th region.

There are opinions and then there are facts.
Boogie Wrote:Inexperienced senior haha, Thats still better than 3 inexperienced 8th graders, come on guy.
never heard of there senior till this year, so unless she played somewhere else she is inexperienced!
Dr.Basketball Wrote:How do I know Profitt is the best player??? She had a winning season at JBS last year. The same team is 4-16 now. She is top of the state in scoring. Over 85% from free throw.. Over 50% from three... And now, more importantly, on the favorite to win the 14th region.

There are opinions and then there are facts.
The Leslie county team is playing the best right now! There the favorite an Pcc an Kcc are a tie! If Leslie gets beat wed by Pcc then I'll put Pcc the favorite.
I think Leslie was exposed in the All A. They haven't been beating anyone.