Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Greenup coach Hicks fired
LLOYD — Embattled Greenup County head basketball coach Jim Hicks was fired Friday, The Independent has learned.

Superintendent John Younce confirmed the firing but refused to comment on why.

Hicks also confirmed the firing, which only applies to his coaching position. He will continue to teach at Greenup County High School, where he has a continuing contract.

Assistant coach Nathan Sutton will take over as interim head coach, and Jason Smith will be assistant coach, Younce said.

Hicks said the firing was based on allegations he had illegally recruited players, which he denied.

“I have not, in any way, recruited or done these things I’ve been accused of,” he told The Independent.

Hicks has been fired with pay, which means he will continue to draw his coaching salary through the end of the year, he said.

Hicks also said he wants to stay at Greenup County and would like to coach again.

“I love what I do,” he said. “When I get up every morning, that’s the first thing I do is to give thanks to God for my teaching and coaching job.”

Hicks said he would fight to disprove the allegations but would not comment on whether he planned legal action.

Leaving the area to coach elsewhere might be difficult with the allegations hanging over him, he said. “I’m basically damaged goods right now.”

Hicks has been head coach since the 2002-03 season, achieving a record of 63-51, including 4-1 this season, before he was suspended in December.

The team reached the 16th Region Tournament semifinals last season along with winning the 63rd District Tournament.

The suspension alleged Hicks made attempts to recruit multiple basketball players and took other actions in violation of district policy.

Hicks has called the allegations retaliation for his cooperation with a previous investigation into allegations of civil rights violations by a former principal.

While the school board was not involved in the investigation or firing, board chairwoman Elinda Boyles stood behind Younce’s decision.

“I know it was a difficult one for the superintendent, but I believe and just have complete faith that it was made only after a careful and thorough investigation,” she said.

Boyles called the investigation a serious matter and said putting it to rest is best for the district. “It’s better for the community that a decision was made, whatever the outcome ... I hope the district can refocus on some of our academic issues.”
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[YOUTUBE="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Y2Ezx8SnN0"][/YOUTUBE]
If he recruited....OH WELL!