Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Private Schools have taken over... A look at State Titles so far this school year
Only 9 privates left. 2 eliminated by other private schools tonight.
Things are going to change. KHSAA is already fighting with the new Governor over allowing Home School students to play. This will be an interesting 4 years. I do see some needed changes that I feel that will take place. It is like everything else, you only get as good as those you can compete with, but if you cannot compete it makes you no better and causes athletes to transfer or just not play at all.
There is no good solution. Not enough private schools to separate them. Multiplier of some sort would help
E's Army Wrote:There is no good solution. Not enough private schools to separate them. Multiplier of some sort would help

agree.
what is the multiplier you are talking about. The real problem is in 6A, the big schools would still get screwed. And again who cares if privates schools don't have enough they are the ones with the unfair advantage. Let them find for themselves, TN has a split and very few privates schools. Here is how you fix it, if you are a privates school you play in the private school league and let them figure it out. Again the khsaa makes their money off the public schools, they are the money maker for the khsaa. Go to the sweet 16 and see how many private school fans are there.
OptionFootball Wrote:Things are going to change. KHSAA is already fighting with the new Governor over allowing Home School students to play. This will be an interesting 4 years. I do see some needed changes that I feel that will take place. It is like everything else, you only get as good as those you can compete with, but if you cannot compete it makes you no better and causes athletes to transfer or just not play at all.

Why shouldn't home schooled students be allowed to participate for their local school? Their parents pay property taxes and state and federal income taxes that support the government schools just like everyone else.

You government school people are very defensive about your inferior schools.
If the schools are inferior why would a non student want to play sports there?
1.5 to 2.0 multiplier sounds fair but have not looked real close at what effect these numbers would have.
nky Wrote:If the schools are inferior why would a non student want to play sports there?

It is difficult to take your query seriously but I will attempt to do so. Your government schools are, with the exception of a few schools like Highlands and Beechwood, academically inferior to private schools and home schooling. However, home schools don't have sufficient students to field athletic teams. Thus, if the students are to participate, it must be with a local school- private or government. Now, since these home school parents likely pay local, state, and federal taxes to support the government schools, their children should be allowed to participate in sports even though the applicable government school is likely inferior academically. The void in academics doesn't effect the home schooled student. He/She merely wants to exert his/her right to participate in athletics. Academics, or lack thereof, is a moot point.

Since all this is reasonable, it will never happen. The government schools will continue to fight it because they are not getting the daily allotment for those home schoolers. Thus, the welfare of the children is lost in light of the pursuit of the government school for extra money. As usual in government education, it is all about money and never about serving the populace.
So it's a right to participate in an extracurricular activity? If they want that right then they should attend that school.
nky Wrote:So it's a right to participate in an extracurricular activity? If they want that right then they should attend that school.

Really? How about the fact that home school families pay local real estate taxes, state income taxes, and federal income taxes supporting that local government school. Why should they be punished for wanting to provide their children with a better education than is available in those under performing and politically correct government schools? They should get something for their money, shouldn't they?
The parents of home schoolers who pay taxes partially subsidize the education of children of parents who pay no taxes to attend public schools. In other words, the more home schoolers there are in a public school district, the more resources are available to the public schools to spend on fewer students.

It only seems fair that home schooled students be allowed to participate in a few public school activities. You can bet that non-tax paying parents of students attending public schools are among the loudest critics of proposals for home schooled kids to play team sports. Do you think that it ever occurs to such people that their children are the beneficiaries of other people's money, including the taxes paid by home schooled students? Not a chance.
Truth Wrote:Really? How about the fact that home school families pay local real estate taxes, state income taxes, and federal income taxes supporting that local government school. Why should they be punished for wanting to provide their children with a better education than is available in those under performing and politically correct government schools? They should get something for their money, shouldn't they?

We all pay taxes, whether we use the public schools, city government, police, fire, what ever. If you want to do an extracurricular activity you should also do the curricular activity of attending that school. There are limited guide lines as far as what constitutes homeschooling. Yes most do a fine job of educating their little one to what they feel is the best but their are those who do not.
from the Department of Education website:
If a parent chooses this option, they take complete responsibility for educating their child .The parent/guardian selects the curriculum and educational materials. There is no state financial assistance for families who choose this option.
For details on Kentucky laws regarding Homeschools please see the information packet available in useful links and documents.

http://education.ky.gov/federal/fed/page...chool.aspx

What's to stop parents from "homeschooling" their student then shopping them around to teams?
nky Wrote:We all pay taxes, whether we use the public schools, city government, police, fire, what ever. If you want to do an extracurricular activity you should also do the curricular activity of attending that school. There are limited guide lines as far as what constitutes homeschooling. Yes most do a fine job of educating their little one to what they feel is the best but their are those who do not.
from the Department of Education website:
If a parent chooses this option, they take complete responsibility for educating their child .The parent/guardian selects the curriculum and educational materials. There is no state financial assistance for families who choose this option.
For details on Kentucky laws regarding Homeschools please see the information packet available in useful links and documents.

http://education.ky.gov/federal/fed/page...chool.aspx

What's to stop parents from "homeschooling" their student then shopping them around to teams?
Surprise, surprise, surprise, the government school website is anti-home schooling. What is stopping parents of public school students from shopping them around? Nothing. It happens all the time. Parents should be shopping around for schools that will provide the best education and extra-curricular experiences for their children - and good parents do, to the extent that the government allows them to do so.
Pulp Fiction Wrote:For all of the posters that love to put their salt in my sugar.... here is a corrected list.

Boys Soccer: Covington Catholic
Girls Soccer: Sacred Heart
Volleyball: Assumption
Field Hockey: Sacred Heart
Boys Golf Team: St. Xavier

Cross Country Girls
1A Team: St. Henry District
2A Ind.: Lexington Catholic

Cross Country Boys
1A Team: Lexington Christian
1A Ind.: Lex. Christian
3A Team: St. Xavier

After the athletic year ends, we'll revisit this thread with updated Fall, Winter , Summer sports & Competitive activities team & ind. state champions.
Check out my YouTube channel.
www.youtube.com/c/AlexGreenDifferentBreed
Pulp Fiction Wrote:After the athletic year ends, we'll revisit this thread with updated Fall, Winter , Summer sports & Competitive activities team & ind. state champions.
All you are proving, Pulp, is that most Kentucky public schools are poorly coached. If I cared more about this topic, I would compile statistics about the number of public vs. private schools participating in sports like field hockey and volleyball and how many years those schools have fielded teams. Public schools need to up their games, and if field hockey state titles are important to them, then maybe more of them should field teams.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:All you are proving, Pulp, is that most Kentucky public schools are poorly coached. If I cared more about this topic, I would compile statistics about the number of public vs. private schools participating in sports like field hockey and volleyball and how many years those schools have fielded teams. Public schools need to up their games, and if field hockey state titles are important to them, then maybe more of them should field teams.

Good points Hoot.

I didn't see it that way.
Check out my YouTube channel.
www.youtube.com/c/AlexGreenDifferentBreed
Pulp Fiction Wrote:After the athletic year ends, we'll revisit this thread with updated Fall, Winter , Summer sports & Competitive activities team & ind. state champions.

I'm sure the superior private schools will fare quite well in your update.
Pulp Fiction Wrote:Good points Hoot.

I didn't see it that way.
The way I look at things, Johnson Central's football program is probably much stronger now than it would be had it not been for the competition Covington Catholic and Highlands gave them over the past few years. I hated to see both schools leave 4A before the Golden Eagles won their first state title. I really think JC would have won the region this season with no class realignment.

I hope that JC finalizes the two-year agreement with Covington Catholic. Along with Lexington Catholic and Belfry that would give the Golden Eagles a very strong non-district schedule. Hopefully, Harlan County will bounce back with a stronger team next season as well.

My understanding is that Indiana no longer applies a multiplier to private schools enrollment numbers for classification purposes. Instead, they require schools to play up a class if, for example, they appear in back-to-back state title games in a sport. IMO, that would be a more fair system than isolating Kentucky's handful of private school teams in one or two separate classes.

Indiana's system also does not discriminate against private schools. If the rule had been in effect in Kentucky the past couple of years, then Highlands would have been moved up a class after winning back to back 4A titles and Belfry would be competing in 4A in 2015 and 2016.
nky Wrote:So it's a right to participate in an extracurricular activity? If they want that right then they should attend that school.

You don't allow it and Tim Tebow never plays a down of football past youth league, think about what you may be depriving from a community or an athlete before you turn it down
mysonis55 Wrote:I have said it for years. It can in no way be considered fair to allow teams that can recruit legally compete in the same levels as those who are not allowed to. It is already a disadvantage when you consider that these private schools have children who's families have the funding to send them to every camp they want to go to for training in their particular sport. These same kids compete against kids that don't have money to buy their own cleats. Then you tell them it's okay to go find people that live within a couple hours of their school and give them scholarships to come to school and play for them. But, here is the other more serious problem. These are the same people and schools that have money to get the best attorneys to argue against putting them in a seperate class or change the system to make it fair. So, in Ky, where money talks, it will never change. So, we might as well quit talking about it every year.

I went to CovCath, who never recruited me, but I was recruited heavily by a few different public schools.

People act like any kids that come to CovCath from outside of the immediate area do it for sports, but it's normally for the community feeling, education, and a Catholic environment.

Separating public and private would be stupid.
QB Challenge Champion, Just Pitching Champion, Midi Golf Champion- My Greatest Accomplishments in Life
BFritz Wrote:I went to CovCath, who never recruited me, but I was recruited heavily by a few different public schools.

People act like any kids that come to CovCath from outside of the immediate area do it for sports, but it's normally for the community feeling, education, and a Catholic environment.

Separating public and private would be stupid.

BFritz makes some valid points. As one who attended government schools prior to transferring to a private school, I can assure you the differences are enormous. The academics, the discipline, the atmosphere, and the feeling of community were multitudes better in the private school. And, as BFritz said, the Catholic environment was highly beneficial even for a then non-Catholic like me.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:The way I look at things, Johnson Central's football program is probably much stronger now than it would be had it not been for the competition Covington Catholic and Highlands gave them over the past few years. I hated to see both schools leave 4A before the Golden Eagles won their first state title. I really think JC would have won the region this season with no class realignment.

I hope that JC finalizes the two-year agreement with Covington Catholic. Along with Lexington Catholic and Belfry that would give the Golden Eagles a very strong non-district schedule. Hopefully, Harlan County will bounce back with a stronger team next season as well.

My understanding is that Indiana no longer applies a multiplier to private schools enrollment numbers for classification purposes. Instead, they require schools to play up a class if, for example, they appear in back-to-back state title games in a sport. IMO, that would be a more fair system than isolating Kentucky's handful of private school teams in one or two separate classes.

Indiana's system also does not discriminate against private schools. If the rule had been in effect in Kentucky the past couple of years, then Highlands would have been moved up a class after winning back to back 4A titles and Belfry would be competing in 4A in 2015 and 2016.

I kind of like the idea that if you win 2 championships in a row that you have to move up a class. How long do the stay up a class?
RicFlair Wrote:You don't allow it and Tim Tebow never plays a down of football past youth league, think about what you may be depriving from a community or an athlete before you turn it down

and some how that would have been a bad thing?:biggrin: