Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
East Jessamine rides offense to opening season win over Harrison,38-33
The VisitNich.com Bowl got started with a bang on Friday night and when all was said and done a Jessamine County team had posted their first win, in this bowl game.

Coming into this game the talk was this was a game Harrison would win and do so fairly easy. the problem was someone never sent East Jessamine the memo.

10:44 showed on the clock when A Harrison player put he ball on the ground in a big pile of players and coming out of the pile was a East player. The guys in the booth nor myself could see, who coughed it up or who recovered it.

East would get a nice run by Kyle Gann(5-10-170), with the aid of nice all around blocking by his teammates to pick up a first down, with 9:50 left in the first.

Later in the drive with 8:17 showing on the clock East opted to go for it on 4th and 7. Quarterback Corey Garrett (6-4-160) connected with Justus Johnson on a nice play but good for only six-yards. Giving the ball back to Harrison.

Harrison would go to the air with, 6:49 showing on the clock and this turned out good for them when,Brock Jenkins(6-1-175) hooked up with Malcom Walker for a first down. Making the play for East was,Allen Montgomery(5-9-183).

Luke Slucher(5-10-190) picked up four-yards on a hard run,making the tackle for East was, Justus Johnson, with 5:49 left in the quarter. Johnson looks like a fine player and one to keep an eye out for this season.

Brock Jenkins(6-1-175) took off on a sixteen-yard run to give Harrison another first down. Then with 4:25 Jenkins hit Javon Williams(6-2-190) for a seventeen-yard gain all the way down to the East seven. Harrison would ease the ball to the one and from there it would be Slucher taking it in for the score. Austin Jackson(5-9-145) kick would be no good, keeping the score at,6-0 with 3:39 left in the first. The drive went for 76-yards and total 76-yards.

The East passing game clicked with at the 2:44 mark. Jason Meads(5-11-187) picked up thirty-one-yards as he pulled in the throw by,Garrett.Facing third and eleven,

East again went back to the air and again, with 1:11 left and once again the result would be good. Tony Islami(5-8-152) hauled in the pass . from Garrett and picked up the eleven-yards needed to move the chains.

The East passing game almost came up huge as the quarter ended when Garrett threw the ball in the direction of Meade, who had a step on his guy. The pass was very nice but Meads, who was wide opened could not bring the ball in.

6-0 Harrison after one.

Just forty second into the 2nd quarter Harrison would pick up thirty-four-yards, when Javon Williams(6-2-190)made a sensational leaping catch. Williams was the best receiver I watched this weekend and another people should take notice of.

At the 9:23 mark Phillips Williams from East scooped up a muffed punt and took it to the Harrison nine-yard-line.

East would light up the scoreboard, with 7:52 left when Meads scored from six-yards out. The two point play was successful by Trevin Smith(5-11-250) I had to ask a person beside me to confirm this, as I was taking pics also, so if this is incorrect I am sorry.
The drive went for 9 yards and took 4 plays. 8-6 East.

5:03 showed on the clock, when Jenkins connected with Williams again this time for eight-yards. Williams made a nice spin move during the run.

Justice Moore(5-7-160) would get his number called for Harrison but things did not go well, when he was hit by Meads for a one-yard loss. with 4:01 left in the half. Then with 2:00
left in the half Slucher made a nice catch on a tipped ball with the result being a short gain. The kid lucky or good made a nice play.

Harrison would go back to their stud receiver,Williams with 1:33 left in the half. Williams would again show some all-state skills with a nice leaping seven-yard catch. This kid catches the ball when guarded tightly as any receiver I have watched in awhile. Jenkins, after throwing the touchdown pass ran in the two point conversion to make this a,14-8 game.
The drive went 68-yards on 14-plays.

At this point one could think East would be down and out after the long year they had last year but this East team showed no panic from where I was setting.

On the ensuing kickoff Tony Islami (5-8-152) would take the quick on the twenty use some nice blocking and good vision to take the ball to the Harrison ten with.1:17 left in the half.

Just six seconds later Gann scored from ten-yards out but a holding call took the points off of the board. East did not seem fazed by this because with 34.8 left in the half Trevin Smith(5-11-250) scored from two-yards out. I had to ask the number again because I was shooting pics during the play. The ladies setting beside me was good enough to help me out, this time. The two point play was successful when Ricardo Ramos(5-11-3170 connected with Meads, to make this a,16-14 game.

Harrison, who might have been a little shell shocked at trailing at this point would show that they had no quit in them on their next drive and with 9.5 left in the half, we all got to see this first hand. Jenkins would scramble around buying time for his receivers to get downfield and himself room to throw deep and when he did throw, the result was a forty-one-yard touchdown strike to,Walker, who was wide opened. The kick by Jackson would be low leaving the score, 20-14 Harrison.

Harrison gets the first big play of the third quarter, with their defense. At the 11:45 mark Caleb Marshall(6-1-255) threw Gann down for a four-yard-loss.

East though responded on the drives fifth play, with a Islami seven-yard score as his front line made a statement with their play. The O-Line again showed some grit on the two-point plays as they allowed Gann to walk into the end zone making this A,24-20 East Lead. 8:05 left in the third.

Harrison was facing third and eleven, with 6:13 left in the half and as any good coach would do they called for a pass to their big play wide out,Williams and the result was a twenty-yard gain and a first down. As I said before he could not be guarded on this night.

The six-play fifty-eight drive came to a close when,Jenkins used his feet to score from ten-yards out. A two[point try failed leaving the score,26-24 Harrison.

East showed a strong kickoff return team and with many good returns and on the ensuing kickoff after the last Harrison score, they would show this again.

Justin Mcintire (5-10 200) fielded the ball and took it to midfield, setting up his offensive in great position, with 5:28 left in the third.

The clock read 5:17 and that is when East got a seventeen-yard jaunt by,Mcintire.
At the 3.33 mark it would be a eleven-yard run again by,Mcintire.

With 2:31 showing on the clock the East ground game kept it going with a six-yard run by Gann. The East ground game might not have that all state super star running for them, but they do have some very skilled backs, who gets the job done.

The eight-play fifty-yard drive ended with a one-yard run by Garrett, with 2:13 left. 30-26 East.

Harrison would lose yards when Jenkins was tossed down by Jacob Bowling((5-10-200) bringing up a 3rd and 17,with 1:13 left.

The fourth quarter was moving on at a good pace and with 7:27 left in the game on third and one Williams picked up sixteen-yards. He again was wide opened.

The five-play sixty-yard drive came to a close on a seven-yard run by Jenkins. The kick by Cory Moore(5-11-135) was good, 33-30 Harrison.

If East was going to show the state they were not going to be like last season now was the time to do so.

What they did was a thing of beauty, driving fifty-six-yards using ten-plays and a lot of clock to score again. The plays were all runs with Garrett following his strong offensive line in to the end zone for a one-yard score. A two-point run was good making the score,38-33.

Harrison would do quit and this would show huge on the last drive of the game.
With 1:03 left,it would be Williams picking up thirty one yards, to electrify the crowd one more time.

16.2 left and East gets a big-time play by Trevin Smith, who Jenkins down for a three-yard loss.

The game ended on one last set on the edge of your seat type pay. Jenkins fumbles the ball sets himself and throws to the end zone where the ball was knocked to the ground preserving the East,38-33 win.

UNOFFICIAL STATS
EAST JESSAMINE
53 PLAYS
293 YARDS
PASSING 10-15 1 TD

HARRISON
61 PLAYS
415 YARDS
PASSING 20-30 2 TD'S